I've Got a Confession To Make

Oogiem

Registered
do you need to take notes to recall what you did and why?
For me that is a resounding yes, Not the what I did so much as the why and how. Particularly for thigns that I only do with a fair amount of time between iterations. If I don't take good notes on what I did last time, the results and why I changed to the current steps I find myself redoing old ways that didn’t work. At least with a good note set I can start and move forward on reach iteration.

bcmyers2112

Registered
For me that is a resounding yes
Which is why I emphasized the question was non-rhetorical. There are lots and lots of really good reasons to do it. It's been my experience in ten years of participating in this forum, though, that some of us -- and I myself am chief among them -- do things for a sense of security that we don't actually get value from. Those activities become burdens rather than enablers.

So I don't think it is a bad question to ask -- but I fully understand that a significant number of people, for a variety of reasons, do indeed get value in keeping notes about past interactions with people, completed projects, and lots of other things.

bcmyers2112

Registered
You know, @Oogiem, I've realized my response to you was more defensive than anything else. I'd already had a chance to make my point. Part of being a good forum member is letting others' have their say. And sometimes the last word. I apologize for the way I responded. I'm not even sure I needed to respond at all. It's a public forum and I need to share this sandbox with others.

TesTeq

Registered
I fully understand that a significant number of people, for a variety of reasons, do indeed get value in keeping notes about past interactions with people, completed projects, and lots of other things.
@bcmyers2112 There are many things that are not documented properly and you've got to search the whole internet to find the details of the procedure. Even ChatGPT doesn't know the answer. So it is worth recording somewhere when you discover how things work!