Jim Fallows is now in Shanghai

DavidAllen

GTD Connect
Happened to connect with Jim in Shanghai via Skype for a few minutes, a couple of days ago. As you heard on my interview with him, he's now there... Interesting international tech detail - Jim says that Skype is one of the few communication technologies that is uncensorable in China, because of its encryptions. He thinks Skype is world-changing in its implications.

Jim did the cover article in the new Atlantic (September 2006), and I highly recommend that everyone read it. He told me that it's the most important piece he's done for a while. It's another great example of Jim's ability to distill the simple but not-overtly-obvious truths in a complex situation. Basically, he says we've won the battle against terrorism, but could lose a lot more than a battle if we don't mature our own reactions and responses to it. Perfectly timed message esp. in light of the UK/airline terrorist plot of the last few days...

L

LenEdgerly

Great interview with Fallows

Yes, Jim Fallows is an example of someone who has paid attention to what has his attention, ever since I knew him in college at the Harvard Crimson. What a mind, and what an steadiness of character and compassion. He's in my personal pantheon of idols, and I can't wait to find out what he learns in China.

The one thing I was DYING to hear was a little bit about Jim's personal GTD system, use of computer and PDA, calendars, all his gear and methods for dealing with the runway. I can understand how your attention stayed at higher levels, but if you ever have a chance for a reprieve interview, please save a few minutes for details on how a mind as fluid and efficient as his manages the complexity of little things.

I was surprised this interview hasn't shown up yet in the podcast feed. Maybe soon?

Anyway, thanks for the great interview!

--Len Edgerly, Denver

M

mochant

Great to hear the two of you (again)

What a great interview! I first had the pleasure of meeting Jim at a GTD seminar in Dallas in 2002 and was a big fan of his long before that. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the easy exchange of big ideas between the two of you.

Relative to Skype (as the current popular implementation of VoIP) and it's life- and world-changing implications, I'm inclined to agree. In my latest work adventure, I have decided to work "without a net" and rely exclusively on Skype and my cell phone for my telephony needs. My "office number" now accompanies me wherever my travels happen to take me which eliminates the need to change voice mail messages, phone a long distance number to retrieve messages and other artifacts of the land line lifestyle.

I'm about a month-and-a-half into the experiment and nothing has transpired yet to cause me to have second thoughts. The team I am working with are scattered around the country and the world and I'm able to engage with all of them with fewer economic concerns and greater ability to interact than a POTS line would ever allow me to.

D

doggeek

Me too, Len

I can see where you could follow the rabbit trails of conversation endlessly with an individual of this quality. I was also looking forward to the point in the introduction of "going fast by slowing down," but didn't hear that specifically discussed either. It's something I'm working on right now, because I find it such a truism. The more rushed I am and trying to get things done quickly, the greater the odds that something I overlook will come back to bite me and the greater the time invested in the end.

Cathy