Just converted to MAC

muncie

Registered
Calling all Mac users, I just disposed of my third PC laptop in six years and got myself a macbook. I used to use Microsoft Outlook with my Treo 650 with the GTD method. I still like my Treo, but don't know where to begin with software for Mac. Any suggestions?

T

thoppa

Here we go.....

I'm a recent convert myself, and you made a great choice.

Personally, I use entourage. DAC has a nice little booklet on using it for GtD. I personally found it a little basic, but worth the $10. Of course, my decision is largely made for me- my office uses an Exchange Server for email. Thus, entourage is really required for that. Aside from that, it has the calendar, notes, and even a project center that I liked alot.

Another great option is KinklessGtD, which is really a set of scripts and templates for OmniOutliner Pro. I look at this briefly, and honestly, I really liked what I saw. It will Sync to your iCal and everything, and, if you worked on it, you could probably get it to sync with that Treo. Since I'm a blackberry user, I can't really help you out too much in that department.

Smarter people than me have written on this topic, so you should check those people out too:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/03/08/productivity.html
http://www.43folders.com/
DA's take: http://www.davidco.com/blogs/david/archives/2005/10/gtd_and_the_mac.html
http://www.hawkwings.net/2006/07/14/ten-mac-tools-for-getting-things-done/

mcogilvie

Registered
muncie said:
Calling all Mac users, I just disposed of my third PC laptop in six years and got myself a macbook. I used to use Microsoft Outlook with my Treo 650 with the GTD method. I still like my Treo, but don't know where to begin with software for Mac. Any suggestions?

Welcome. I would start with the Missing Sync from Mark/Space. While not absolutely required, it's a very good alternative to Palm's sync product. For basic GTD methodology, I have used iCal, Entourage, and Life Balance. They all work, but are not perfect. If you try iCal, you really want the Missing Sync. I am down on Kinkless GTD (which is free, but requires the excellent OmniOutliner Pro). It is beautiful, but fragile. Don't bother with Palm's old desktop product.

shan150

Registered
I recommend trying out Daylite. I have been using it for over a year, it syncs great with my treo 650 (I also use the missing sync) and it is awesome for managing projects. They have a 30 day trial which you can download at www.marketcirle.com. There is also an add-on for email (DMI) which is very helpful.

Good luck and congrats on your macbook.

madalu

Registered
I use a hipster PDA for managing my next actions, since I spend most of my day away from my Mac.

But OmniOutliner is wonderful for brainstorming and planning. I use it for keeping track of the higher levels of GTD (20,000 feet and up).

If I worked primarily from my Mac, I would definitely use kinkless GTD, which is about as elegant a GTD solution as one can find.

(Tomorrow, OmniGroup will be releasing the beta of a new project planning program called OmniPlan. According to rumors, it will incorporate elements of GTD. But from what I've seen so far, it looks like it's designed for industrial-strength business planning rather than personal productivity.)

P

Pres

A bit tardy, but...

TidBITS, a weekly Mac email newsletter just had a pair of articles on doing GTD on the Mac. It focuses on really doing it on the Mac, so there's nothing on adding a PDA into the mix, but it's a good overview:

Part 1
Part 2

I second the recommendation for The Missing Sync for Windows Mobile from Mark/Space. Here's the link. I've just recently begun using it with my new Sharp W-Zero3 es, and it seems quite functional.

W

wlwesq

muncie said:

KinklessGTD, most definitely.

You may also want to check out Merlin Mann's site, http://43folders.com/. He's a big Mac advocate (as am I) and has lots of good stuff there.

mcogilvie

Registered
Before using Kinkless, please read the kinkless forum, and look at the problems people have had with the latest release. Also note that the pace of development has slowed. This is no slur on the author; it is very difficult to create a robust complicated program out of glue.

Z

Zippy

kGTD and Omnioutliner
MailTags add on for Mail
DevonThink (expensive but a good collection device when browsing)

As for the PDA side of things you could try Shadow. It doesn't sync directly on a Mac but there is a script called OmniShadow that allows OO3 to read and export Shadow files. I've not actually tried a sync with my GTD file yet (I am still a relative newbie)

Finally don't forget an off-line collection device such as a Moleskine

mcogilvie

Registered
Zippy said:
As for the PDA side of things you could try Shadow. It doesn't sync directly on a Mac but there is a script called OmniShadow that allows OO3 to read and export Shadow files.

ShadowPlan (Shadow to its friends?) has desktop versions for PC, Mac, and Linux which work with the Palm. The Omnishadow script did not work for me. Personally, I have never liked Shadow very much, and greatly preferred Bonsai when I was using PC's.

CSGiles

Registered
I'm a Mac user and a long-time user of GTD. I tried Kinkless, and it is a good program, but found I really wanted something more simple.

So I just use iCal, which is free with your Mac and will backup and sync to almost anything.

To implement GTD I created a Calendar Group called GTD, and then created dummy calendars for each of the context groups (@Calls, @Office, etc.).

These dummy calendars are not used to enter appointments. I have a Home and Work Calendar for those and they are always checked. However, I do not enter any tasks in the Task Pane for them.

Instead, when I want to enter a note about a Call, I check the dummy calendar @Calls and a list of pending calls appears in the Task Pane of iCal.

If I want to see my list of errands, I uncheck the @Calls calendar and check the @Errands calendar and now the Task Pane shows my errands.

This works about as well as the Palm Desktop, and while you can't associate Projects with Tasks like you can in Kinkless, still it gets the job done and is very simple, direct and to the point.

Scot Giles