Logitech IO Personal Digital Pen??

A

Anonymous

Just curious if anyone here has used the Logitech IO “pen/PC” for taking notes and then having them put onto the computer. (www.logitechio.com) What do you think? Is it a productivity tool or a gimmicky gadget? These run @ $199 and am intrigued, but would like to see if others have used it or what you thought about it. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Great Product!

Good timing, as I finally broke down and purchased it a few weeks ago, after reading about the new version 2 software (released Sept. 5th). Before, only certain blocks at the bottom of pages were subject to OCR. Now, the (downloaded) software package comes bundled with integrated handwriting recognition, yielding full page conversions. Note: that part = a 30 day fully featured trial version of the $40 Logitech version of MyScripts. The box includes a 20% off coupon for registering, reducing the cost to $32.

The pen is larger than most, but the grip area is curved and textured, making it quite comfortable, even for my small hands. Comparable to a highlighter. Check out Logitech's forum for IO users:http://forums.logitechio.com/index.html?l=en&c=usa (& the Amazon product page for comments). Logitech took many suggestions to heart, i.e.: you can configure it to auto-translate *all* your data when its downloaded to the PC (set pen in cradle). You can use Word, which I despise, so I opted for rtf files instead. That allows me to use freebie InfoRapid(.com), which searches rtf files in an incredibly speedy and inherently intelligent manner (see highlighted text in hit list). Thus, I can now FIND my notes, within seconds! That, in turn, has translated into faithful weekly reviews, since I don't have to allow time for seek-&-ye-may-find retrieval sessions.

As regards recognition accuracy, given my generally rushed chicken scratch, I've been pleasantly surprised. Would I use it for, say, letter or brief writing? No. But the accuracy is more than sufficient for my purposes-- I purchased with the idea of creating searchable text so I can find notes later, and I've not been disappointed. If you do want to make revisions, it's a no-sweat deal. Your handwritten notes appear in one pane; the suggested translation pops up in a moveable screen, so quick comparative glances tell you what's up. (The old procedure apparently forced you to first add words to a &^%$ edit list, rather than just correct the text.)

Best $$$ I've spent in quite some time. :D (about $160/Amazon)

A

Anonymous

In the Box

FYI, in the box:
-- CD: software is for Windows XP/ME/2000/98
-- pen
-- 5 pen refills **
-- 50 or so sheets/notebook (regular = 80 sheets/160 pages)
-- little post-it note pad
-- well-shaped cradle, with physically attached USB cord
-- power adapter (read: brick) (thankfully, battery life is quite respectable, despite my heavy usage; plays nice with USB powered hub)
-- munchkin how-to booklet -- READ IT :) for install specifics before you touch anything, to avoid snafus
-- 20% off coupon for subsequent purchase, if you register
You'll wanna grab the new software while awaiting your package:
-- direct: http://snurl.com/2j6r
-- tour: http://www.logitech.com >> Support >> DownLoads >> Digital pen & paper >> IO Digital pen (NOT MyScripts)

** The refills: you'll notice that the clip segment of the pen (silver) has a small hole. You situate the current ballpoint into that hole, then twist to remove it. Nice touch.

6-pack notebook at J&R for $35 (otherwise, typically 3 for $25): http://snurl.com/2l8o

Finally, 2 points, to spare you aggravation if you do purchase it:

1) The CD in the box = version 1.1. I've got a new XP notebook, with all patches since installed. .Net Framework is a requisite to installing the version 2 IO software. I caught heck trying to install the recent app. Then it finally hit me that I did not focus on the actual version number of the .Net stuff already installed. It was 1.0. Scurried to MS to grab the newer version 1.1, installed, and then everything was smooth as silk with the IO v2 installation.

2) One of the optional IO software components involves pushing ads, as it installs "backweb.exe". You'll likely want to skip that, as you can always manually check the Logitech site to see if new stuff is available. The screen tells you it's for automated updates, so you'll know which one I'm referring to here.

A

Anonymous

io pen

io is waste of money, time and brain cells :twisted:

V

vegheadjones

2) One of the optional IO software components involves pushing ads, as it installs "backweb.exe". You'll likely want to skip that, as you can always manually check the Logitech site to see if new stuff is available. The screen tells you it's for automated updates, so you'll know which one I'm referring to here.

Any idea how to remove baackweb.exe? I installed a logitech mouse, and my spyware software constantly reports that this is active on my system, yet I can't find a way to remove it.[/quote]

U

Unregistered

nice information site

digital io2 is the best pen i have ever seen if you want more information just go to digitalpennpaper.com

nice information