Looking for the Holy Grail of GTD apps

flatus

Registered
I would like to have a program/app (prefer cross platform) that can quickly switch between a mind-map GUI and a task/horizon focused GUI. Basically, I would love to have an app like OmniFocus to capture all of my open loops and organize them appropriately then push a "button" on the screen to flip all of my open loops/data into a mind-map view. I suppose programs exist that can cross-talk with each other and accomplish this in a more time-intensive way but I would benefit greatly from the flexibility of being able to immediately switch between these views and not lose the flexibility/functionality of both systems. Perhaps what I am looking for does not exist, but it would seem that atleast in a limited sense it could be accomplished.

What are your thoughts?

mcogilvie

Registered
flatus;112599 said:
I would like to have a program/app (prefer cross platform) that can quickly switch between a mind-map GUI and a task/horizon focused GUI. Basically, I would love to have an app like OmniFocus to capture all of my open loops and organize them appropriately then push a "button" on the screen to flip all of my open loops/data into a mind-map view. I suppose programs exist that can cross-talk with each other and accomplish this in a more time-intensive way but I would benefit greatly from the flexibility of being able to immediately switch between these views and not lose the flexibility/functionality of both systems. Perhaps what I am looking for does not exist, but it would seem that atleast in a limited sense it could be accomplished.

What are your thoughts?

There are some mind mapping tools that will flip between a mind map and an outline view. Mindjet and inspiration come to mind. Frankly, I don't think it's a good approach to GTD.

flatus

Registered
Thanks

mcogilvie;112608 said:
There are some mind mapping tools that will flip between a mind map and an outline view. Mindjet and inspiration come to mind. Frankly, I don't think it's a good approach to GTD.

I appreciate the input. I will look into those programs. I struggle with keeping track of my "horizons" at times and thought the mind map approach may make it more visual for me.

Folke

Registered
flatus;112633 said:
I struggle with keeping track of my "horizons" at times and thought the mind map approach may make it more visual for me.

Another possibility up to the 30 k (or possibly 40 k) level is a plain hierarchy. I do that and am very satisfied.

If you use an app that has an extra layer on top of projects (called Folder, Goal, List, whatever; names may vary) you can keep good order of your horizons by:

Using the Project level both for:
- 10 k projects (obviously)
- 20 k AoR buckets for single tasks that do not belong to a project (and use a special prefix or naming convention to be able to see that this "project" is not actually a project.)

Using the higher level (Folder, Goal, List) both for:
- 30 k GTD goals (concrete objectives, or "super-projects")
- ~30 k GTD groups of AoRs (feet level is undefined in GTD, but not the groups as such), such as "Private", "Community", "Work" etc.

If your app also allows you to "tag" these projects and goals, and if your app has "saved searches" (sometimes called smart lists, perspectives, custom views etc) you can also "tag" the specific 10 k projects with the AoR to which it belongs in order to be able to review everything in each AoR together (all the AoR's projects plus the AoR single task bucket; all having the same AoR tag).

mcogilvie

Registered
flatus;112633 said:
I appreciate the input. I will look into those programs. I struggle with keeping track of my "horizons" at times and thought the mind map approach may make it more visual for me.

I find that a mind map is a great way to objectify goals and areas of focus and maybe down to projects. It's also really good for project brainstorming. I just find it's too ponderous when I try to link all those evanescent next actions to something like a 3-5 year goal.

Folke

Registered
mcogilvie;112642 said:
I find that a mind map is a great way to objectify goals and areas of focus and maybe down to projects. It's also really good for project brainstorming. I just find it's too ponderous when I try to link all those evanescent next actions to something like a 3-5 year goal.

I can imagine a mind map being instrumental in getting those things into place. I guess I just mapped it all inside my head, but an external map might have been better.

The great value of keeping it all organized by AoRs (and groups of AoRs) is that it allows me to review my list very efficiently one area at a time, and it also allows me to find stuff easily, since it also serves as a classification system.

But yes, for very short-lived tasks I also have an "unclassified" default. It saves time. And I even have a saved search/perspective to easily find such unclassified tasks, just in case, but I seldom need it.

BTW, I have defined 10 AoRs in my life - 3 in a Private group, 2 in a Not-for-Profit group, and 5 in a Business group. For the three groups I use three of the app's higher level "containers" (above projects; called Goals in my app). The "goal" here is to just maintain the status quo or perhaps improve a bit. In addition, I have two "real" goals/objectives (new territory), both of which are new business startups, so all in all I have five "containers" at the top level, which I think is just nice in my left menu.

In each of these top containers I have a bunch of project containers. The vast majority of these represent real projects that will be completed one day, but ten of them are "AoR single task containers" for stuff that does not belong in a project.

Example: Under my Private AoR group ("goal"), I use these three AoRs:

P-MTR The responsibility to look after the family's material assets and services, including housing, cars, bank accounts, electricity, phone, insurance etc

P-AMB The responsibility to represent the other family members and their interests in their dealings with other people, including their colleagues, employers, teachers, banks, authorities etc.

P-MAN The responsibility to look after myself personally, for my own personal pleasure, health and development, or for upholding my own personal interests in relation to the family members. I also include here (to avoid having too many AoRs) my personal obligations as an educator/coach/influencer of the other family members' personal behavior and development.

I think of my AoRs as "roles" ("job descriptions") rather than as "types of task" or context. There can be talking tasks, reading tasks, eating tasks, thinking tasks, cleaning tasks, outdoors tasks, indoors tasks etc etc in any or all of these roles. The AoR has nothing to do with that. The AoR is more about what "territory" I have to defend for whom, not what "weapons" I use or route I take. AoRs in this sense ("roles") is very easy to identify with and to apply consistently.

mari

Registered
flatus;112599 said:

What are your thoughts?

I haven't tested it much yet, but "mindontrack" may be what you are looking for.