memory-loss/brain-damage

TesTeq

Registered
GTD is not a tool to impress others.

prwood said:
How do I address the notion some people have that relying on external lists is a weakness?
So what? It is their problem unless your lists are not always accessible when needed. I think some kind of PDA (digital or paper) is an essential equipment of any GTD implementation. Storing your calendar, lists and contacts on your desktop computer hard drive, network drive or on the web server will not work all the time so you will not trust such solution.

GTD is not a tool to impress others. Your increased productivity and reliability will impress them.

prwood said:
Another question - is it possible that GTD could be a bad thing for certain people to implement? Or is it a mindset that should be compatible with anyone?
In my opinion GTD is not compatible with some people.

kewms

Registered
prwood said:
Will people perceive me as aloof if I can't recall from memory whether I have an appointment tomorrow? If everything has to be looked up in a trusted system? Is there a way to find balance between complete loftiness and complete groundedness? How do I address the notion some people have that relying on external lists is a weakness?

In my experience, if you're able to meet your commitments, people don't much care how you do it. It's more impressive to be on time for meetings and punctual about deadlines than it is to keep everything in your head. Especially since keeping everything in your head usually doesn't actually work.

Katherine

TesTeq

Registered
I was afraid that you will ask this question...

prwood said:
What would be some identifying characteristics of a person who is not compatible with GTD?
I was afraid that you will ask this question. I cannot give a scientific definition but I think that GTD compatibility is a complex result of such characteristics as a general attitude, ability to plan ahead and discipline.

Here are the examples of GTD incompatible people:
- people who live to work, watch TV and drink beer;
- people who believe that total chaos is the proof of their artistic mindset.

gtderik

Registered
I agree

I agree, I think that there are people that arent really built for the GTD process. It seems to me that there are certain people that are more relational in their view of the world instead of task oriented (which I think that GTD really benefits.) Has anyone heard of the DISC test for people? Its a personality profiling system and gave me some insights in to how people think and communicate. Long story short, I think that GTD helps people more task oriented than people that are relational (people) oriented. I would love to hear some more feedback or comments.

-erik

borrowed from: http://www.discprofile.com/whatisdisc.htm
Dominance: People who score high in the intensity of the 'D' styles factor are very active in dealing with problems and challenges, while low D scores are people who want to do more research before committing to a decision. High "D" people are described as demanding, forceful, egocentric, strong willed, driving, determined, ambitious, aggressive, and pioneering. Low D scores describe those who are conservative, low keyed, cooperative, calculating, undemanding, cautious, mild, agreeable, modest and peaceful.

Influence: People with High I scores influence others through talking and activity and tend to be emotional. They are described as convincing, magnetic, political, enthusiastic, persuasive, warm, demonstrative, trusting, and optimistic. Those with Low I scores influence more by data and facts, and not with feelings. They are described as reflective, factual, calculating, skeptical, logical, suspicious, matter of fact, pessimistic, and critical.

Steadiness (Submission in Marston's time): People with High S styles scores want a steady pace, security, and don't like sudden change. Low S intensity scores are those who like change and variety. High S persons are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced. People with Low S scores are described as restless, demonstrative, impatient, eager, or even impulsive.

Conscientiousness (Compliance in Marston's time): Persons with High C styles adhere to rules, regulations, and structure. They like to do quality work and do it right the first time. High C people are careful, cautious, exacting, neat, systematic, diplomatic, accurate, tactful. Those with Low C scores challenge the rules and want independence and are described as self-willed, stubborn, opinionated, unsystematic, arbitrary, and careless with details.