Microsoft To-Do App: Next Iteration of Wunderlist

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss Tools & Software for GTD' started by Louis, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Do you really think that the price equal to one Starbucks coffee per month for such outstanding products like RTM or Nozbe is wrong?

2. apastuszak

apastuszak Registered

Well, Outlook is going to need an update, because the tags don't sync over between the todo website and Outlook.

3. apastuszak

apastuszak Registered

For me, yes. I don't go to Starbucks. Others may not think so, and that's fine. Everyone gets to speak with their wallet.

TesTeq likes this.
  4. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

@Louis, I found an article you may find useful. It discusses the substantial difference between Wunderlist and the To-Do preview: http://www.theledger.com/news/20170...n-wunderlist-if-it-aint-broke--well-just-wait

The To-Do preview is lacking many of the features that made Wunderlist popular. Because To-Do is only a preview, it's possible Microsoft will be adding those features at a later date. If the past is any guide, however, there's no guarantee that they'll do so, at least not in a way that resembles how those features work in Wunderlist. Microsoft promised to integrate the key features of the late, lamented Sunrise Calendar, which it also acquired, into the Outlook iOS app, before it sunset Sunrise (pun intended). A lot of Sunrise users, myself included, feel Microsoft failed in that regard.

Whether the To-Do app may be right for you might depend on which Wunderlist features are important to you, and how much faith you have in Microsoft to implement them in To-Do. I think it also depends on how important the Office 365 integration is to you, and how much you trust Microsoft to get that right.

5. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

Evernote is a privately held company that doesn't divulge how many paying customers it has. Anything you've read in that regard is merely speculation, most likely of the uninformed variety. Evernote may be losing customers, or it may not be. I'm not going to waste energy worrying about it. If Evernote were to go belly up (which I hope it does not), I have an exit strategy.

I think that's wise to do with any cloud-based app.

I believe you're correct.

6. apastuszak

apastuszak Registered

Sadly, a lot of startups have, in their business plan, to be acquired by a larger company, usually Google or Apple. I don't know if it Wunderlist or Sunrise Calendar fit that bill, but it is quite possible. Microsoft is actively acquiring companies to fill gaps in it's cloud offerings. The only gripe I had with Wunderlist was the way it did tags. I didn't want a hash in front of all my tags, and I wanted my tags to display on the sidebar on the left.

7. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Even if you initially have no such exit strategy, couple tens of millions of dollars will convince you to change your mind... ;-)

8. FrancescoPlli

FrancescoPlli Registered

I have to admit that I like the minimalist style of microsoft to-do app. It is only a start, but for now I only miss an inbox and sub-folders. Everything else could stay the way it already is. I tryied it and sync seems to be live. For now it works well. Let's hope Microsoft doesn't screw up this promising app.

9. Yodude120

Yodude120 Registered

There's an app for that: 2do , i.e., Omnifocus 10.0. check it out at 2doapp.com

I moved to that form Wunderlist. In my opininon this decision of killing Wunderlist and proposing instead a half-assed barely capable version of it is completely stupid. Useless waste of time, they should have instead put the work on improving an already-great app.

10. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

While I agree that Microsoft's new app is disappointing compared to Wunderlist, I don't share your high opinion of 2do. In principle, it should work great for me, and it has a very good rating in the App Store. However, every time I have tried to use it, I never make it through an initial setup. Too many bells, whistles, levers and switches, I think. But YMMV, obviously does, and that's fine.