My Life Organized Software

bhiggs

Registered
I've recently started experimenting with a new outlining/project managment program, My Life Organized, http://www.mylifeorganized.net It is similar to Lifeballanced but comes in three versions lite (free), standard, and pro which includes a sync to Outlook. The program seems young in its development but is being actively devleoped and they are very open to suggestions. It currently does not sync to a palm or ppc, however if you sync to Outlook, you can transfer your data.

I'm only three days into the demo, but I would be interested in hearing what other people think.

Bill

U

Unregistered

I don't mean to sound negative but it looks _exactly_ like LifeBallance. Have you discovered any differences while evaluating it ?

bhiggs

Registered
It is very similar, execpt the devloper is working on the long time complaints of LB. Hiding completed tasks, formating options, etc. Plus it can sync directly to and from Outlook without having to do a double sync through your palm.

V

vauha27

So what?

The LLamas ignore Outlook and the Pocket PC platform constantly and ride the horses palm and mac. I guess the best what could happen is that they are getting some competition now.

just my 02. cents

Thanks for sharing the link

U

Unregistered

I would not say that it is _exactly_ like LB.
It took many good things from LB indeed and there are some improvements. After using it for 2 days I would list these new features I like:

- goal setting (weekly goal brings task on the top of to-do)
- project tracking
- special views for both items above
- sync with outlook (quite smart btw)
- hide completed tasks in outline
- you can assign more then one place to a task
- hide in to-do option
- nice interface

What I do not like that there is no calendar and recurrent tasks. And no "balance" feature. There is a list of planned features somewhere on their site though. http://www.mylifeorganized.net/ (I did not review it carefully)

Besides there is a forum where developer is discussing planned features:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/myLifeOrganized

He mentioned for example user interface improvements. There is also discussion about to-do ordering and some ppc plans :) (what I like!)

So I would recommend trying this app.

U

Unregistered

vauha27 said:
ride the horses palm and mac.

I don't agree, there is a huge amount of stuff that needs to be done on the Mac side and there have be no big improvements on the Mac version since they released it.

J

Jeepers

mylifeorganized

The other thing that seems incredibly refreshing about this software is how open the developer is about new features. The LB folks always took the typical sofware company stance of not talking about such things.

A

Andrey Tkachuk

Thank you, Jeepers :)

I will publish the new "look and feel" sketch of the application on Google soon. I think you will not be disappointed. Welcome to join the discussion about it (link below).

I do NOT promise to apply all the suggestions (this would destroy the application and I think nobody wants this) but will definitely consider the best ideas.

Thank you all for your support and help to create good app.

--
Sincerely,
Andrey Tkachuk
www.myLifeOrganized.net, Ukraine

Please join MLO discussion on Google:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/myLifeOrganized

MLO features plan and known issues:
http://www.mylifeorganized.net/products/my-life-organized/features-plan.htm

J

Jeepers

MLO Rocks

The more I use this app, the more I'm impressed with how well thought out it is. It is so much easier to integrate goals, projects and planning into daily activities. I've used tools like Mind Manager, Results Manager, Life Balance and others, but while they all have individual strengths, they are just to cumbersome and I end up spending too much time tweaking the system vs. using it. Anyway, I'll keep plugging away here, and I look forward to seeing how this app evolves.

Keep up the good work Andrey!

U

Unregistered

While LifeBalance isn't perfect, there is a Windows and Mac version... I wish there was a Mac version of MLO

T

Tomas D.

I liked it so much that I even wrote few (simple, though) converters between MLO and LifeBalance, Shadow and Bonsai, so that, if nothing else, you can spare some time on testing by importing your existing outlines. They are available via MLO discussion/support group.

Btw. MLO got facial lift in the meantime (right pane) and few new features (time estimate and filtering,...)

T

twhsi

IT is cool

Now MLO adds some new features
Its is so cool, but complex.
I will try it at the moment.

bhiggs

Registered
Mindmanger Export/Import

MLO is in constant development. They have just released a new version that includes:

MindManager import/export. Exported document should be opened in MindManager automatically. Save your document in MindManager using XML format and you can import it to MLO.

Export to Excel. Exported document should be opened in Excel automatically. You can use all power of Excel to create any reports. For example you can use Excel Autofilter to select tasks completed last week and print them etc.

carrdwight

Registered
MLO runs on USB Drives

I have just purchased MLO. I have set it up to run on a USB drive. It is great because it doesn't require any installation on the host computer, meaning you don't need administrator rights to see your data. Running MLO on USB drives allows me to take my data with me between the three computers I use (PC at home, PC at work and laptop while traveling), as well as any other computers which I may end up using along the way.

Dwight...

D

drumsonly2002

Giving it a test run. Going to use it as a "Personal Trainer Goal setting / Project manager". I like the way it's laid out. Very simple but yet does accommodate the breaking down of tasks into more basic parts, I really like that feature. Visually it looks nice. I think its strength is its simplicity. It's not going to replace my other time management software but complement it. I am motivated to use it more for personal / home and a big business project. Do not want to clutter my business scheduler with the personal and the "project". Right now using Palm scheduler for the road, outlook for office, and need something other for health and a separate unit for a big stand alone project. It sounds like I got software overkill but having my projects in different programs keeps one program from getting cluttered with long lists. I consider each to be its own filing cabinet of tasks pertaining to specific hats I must wear. Since I am a one man show I change roles and found having Outlook and Palm scheduler easier then cramming everything into outlook. If the lite version turns my crank, getting the professional version. So far I like it a lot.

carolmcmillan

Registered
Comparison of MLO and Franklin Covey

Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the Franklin Covey project management software and My Life Organized. I just got an e-mail advertising the former at a fairly comparable price.

Thanks

Carol

mcogilvie

Registered
carolmcmillan said:
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the Franklin Covey project management software and My Life Organized. I just got an e-mail advertising the former at a fairly comparable price.

Thanks

Carol

My honest opinion is that the FC software is the worst calendar/todo software around. The trials and tribulations FC has inflicted on an unsuspecting public by the serious bugs and lack of support are unbelievable. The company closed their software support forum because it was all complaints! Their paper products continue to be useful, but their software is terrible. You will be better off with anything else.