Nerdy question re manilla folders

emptyinbox

Registered
Does anyone in the UK know of a supplier of really good manilla folders?
I know any folder will do but I seem obsessed with finding just the right one! I'm after really thick folders with rounded edges & tabbed. I can only find really thin ones. I've tried Rymans, Staples, Smiths - no luck.
Any ideas?
Cheers

RuthMcT

Registered
Sorry, I've had exactly the same problem. Staples do sturdy non-tabbed folders, so one possibility would be to buy the stick-on tabs and make your own tabbed folders.

I gave up and use hanging files :twisted: with the tabs on the hangers.

Ruth
London UK

emptyinbox

Registered
Thanks Ruth. Hadn't thought of sticking on the tabs.

Filing is such an issue for me I wanted to go all out & get really nice files that I loved using, to encourage me, as I'm starting from scratch.

I'm a procrastinator & perfectionist and I suspect I'm using this excuse of needing to get exactly the right type of files to delay me starting what will be a huge job :lol:

Layla

Registered
Hm, I just used existing folders - a mixture of plastic and paper, hanging and non-hanging ones (tip: measure the lengths and heights of both folders and cabinets first, and make tabs appropriate length! This may make things much easier! - I didn't, and it's still doable, but may do a better version someday, or when re-tagging.. :) I actually just pinned the tags with paper clips, and it works on 99% of folders!)

(I know GTD is officially against paper clips, for me it works as it gives the option of easy re-tagging and so I'm calmer and cooler about it, he he! :))

I've also made some DIY, from old calendars - so beautiful and unique! :)

emptyinbox

Registered
Wow Layla it sounds like you are a very creative person. Also your system sounds very environmentally friendly too!

What I'm after is a uniform look, nice & neat & labeled. The type of file is like the American Smead files - have attached a photo.

Attached files

clango

Registered
Mee too!

emptyinbox;73911 said:
The type of file is like the American Smead files - have attached a photo.

In Italy, I couldn't find any tabbed files. Neither the "not ideal one"....

So let's try to ask:

" Is there anybody interested in importing to Europe this fantastic files? How many of us -European I mean - could be interested in buying them? And eventually which is the budgeted cost we'd like to pay?

Please answer!

emptyinbox

Registered
Thank you Claudio.
There seems to be a market so yes someone out there?
In the UK we need the files to be foolscap size to accommodate A4 size paper.
It's comforting to know it is not just me who is on the search for the perfect manila file! v frustrating!

clango

Registered
emptyinbox;73949 said:
Thank you Claudio.
There seems to be a market so yes someone out there?
In the UK we need the files to be foolscap size to accommodate A4 size paper.
It's comforting to know it is not just me who is on the search for the perfect manila file! v frustrating!

Hi! I tried to write them explaining the potential. However I found that
herewe can find the supplier of smead and I found that
Paper Flow
020 8331 2000
Unit 5-6, Bugsby's Way, Meridian Trading Estate, London, SE7 7SJ is their distributor in London. Could you please contact them and let us know prices and availability to deliver in Europe?

Test Teq could you ask the same to spiral? I tried to have a look there but I couldn't find an english page.

ChristinaSkaskiw

Registered
Forever searching

Not a nerdy question! I've been forever searching for a source. My hope rose with the links to the Polish sites, but my Polish is non-existent and they had no English that I saw. (I'll have to acquaint someone Polish in my town...) I've actually considered finding a manufacturer and going into business producing these folders; a someday/maybe ;-)

I use square cut folders for my A-Z and I have an old set of proper A4 manilla folders, maybe 10 years old (product now discontinued with manufacturer), which is so frayed by now. For project support I use A4 manilla wallets. Staples have them, for example. And I get the square cut folders from them too. What's nice about the square cut folders is that the labels can be really long.

All the best,
Christina