New article explaining the keys to using Agenda lists

TesTeq

Registered
Agendas - do we really need them?

Do we really need Agendas to incubate stuff?

Why not simply send an e-mail with request or question?

Isn't the Agendas idea a legacy from the pre-Internet times?

toremor

Registered
Agendas for informal meetings and places

TesTeq;85631 said:

You are right. During weekly reviews I have often realized that an e-mail, and a Waiting-For entry, would be a lot more efficient than waiting for the person shows up. But I have some agendas where I would like to talk to people more in a more private and informal way. And I use agendas for friends that I don't see very often.

Sometimes there are meetings where we meet people from a competing company. These meetings gives a great opportunity to follow-up questions about what they are working on.

BTW, I use agenda-lists for places too. I have lists for a lot of towns and countries. Museums, restaurants, shops, bars.

Oogiem

Registered
Yes, E-mail not appropriate or not available sometimes

TesTeq;85631 said:

Yes we absolutely still need agendas because often the items that go on it are inappropriate to be discussed without a face to face interaction. E-mail is to impersonal and lacks the nuances that come from actual interactions with living humans that some items really need.

Also perhaps in your world everyone has e-mail but in my world that is not the case at all. About 1/3 of the people I need to interact with on a regular basis do not have any e-mail at all. Another group has an e-mail address but they never check it so it is an unreliable way to contact them.

Barb

Registered
Agendas can cut emails!

TesTeq;85631 said:

There are people in my life that send an email for every frigging thought they have! I serve as President of an HOA Board, for example. There is one Board member that, when asked to review a document, sent me 47 "thoughts"--each in an individual email--in ONE DAY. I realize this is an extreme example, but using @Agenda and at least saving up all thoughts for ONE email per day would be what I would ask of those in my life who had the ability to understand the impact of their actions on others.

I've had direct reports in the past who over emailed. Even prior to GTD, I asked them to save it up and send me one email per day. I was traveling and couldn't get all the emails until that night anyway.

Roger

Registered
On the other side of the fence, I work for people who want face-to-face status meetings. They've been much less stressful for me now that I accrete everything into @Agenda over the week, rather than trying to remember that morning what I did 6 days ago.

Also, I think we're led astray a little by the terminology. @Agenda sounds like a business thing, right. But there's lots of good reasons to keep an @Agenda for everyone in your life -- the spouse, the children, etc. (I have yet to read the article so I'm not sure if this comes up or not.)

Cheers,
Roger

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Agendas also cut interruptions

I think a huge value of Agenda lists too is that they cut interruptions down significantly. Many people seem to interrupt others because they are afraid they are going to forget it (and don't have a trusted place to incubate it other than getting it handled in the moment.)

Barb

Registered
Great for personal interactions too

Roger;85645 said:
On the other side of the fence, I work for people who want face-to-face status meetings. They've been much less stressful for me now that I accrete everything into @Agenda over the week, rather than trying to remember that morning what I did 6 days ago.

Also, I think we're led astray a little by the terminology. @Agenda sounds like a business thing, right. But there's lots of good reasons to keep an @Agenda for everyone in your life -- the spouse, the children, etc. (I have yet to read the article so I'm not sure if this comes up or not.)

Cheers,
Roger

I talk to my 86-year-old-father every day. He lives 5 hours away and has no family closer than I am. I add things to my list throughout the day and evening to discuss with him--world events, upcoming books or t.v. shows I've heard about, etc. He's never said so, but I think he does the same. When we have our daily phone call, there is never a shortage of topics between us.

TesTeq

Registered
I understand that there are people who prefer face-to-face communication.

Barb;85642 said:
There is one Board member that, when asked to review a document, sent me 47 "thoughts"--each in an individual email--in ONE DAY. I realize this is an extreme example, but using @Agenda and at least saving up all thoughts for ONE email per day would be what I would ask of those in my life who had the ability to understand the impact of their actions on others.

I cannot see any reduction of the mental bandwidth needed to process 47 "thoughts" if they are communicated face-to-face (I would have to write them down) or in one e-mail. But I understand that there are people who prefer face-to-face communication.

mwinn

Registered
Is the article still available?

Is the article referenced at the beginning of this tread still available? I clicked on it today and didn't find it and would love to read it.

I've been focusing most of my forum-time in the Weekly Review challenge threads and am just now getting back into some of the other forums from earlier in the year.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
The best replacement I can find for you is in the new Outlook 2010 Setup Guide coming soon:

@Agendas
This category lists the separate people you will be communicating with in real time (face to face or on the phone) and meetings coming toward you, for which you are collecting things to talk about when you are there, and perhaps to place on an agenda beforehand.

Using the Task dialog, create a separate Task for each person you interact with regularly (boss, spouse, assistant, direct reports, consultants, coaches, team meetings, etc.) with the name in the “Subject” line. Within the Task, the notes box is a great place for collecting the separate agenda items or talking points to go over with them the next time you meet in person or on the phone.

Many times the next action on a project is to talk to someone when you are with them, and creating a Task specific to this person provides a perfect “parking lot” for your agenda items until they are communicated. You will need to select and delete these items in the Notes field when they are no longer current.

Lists like these are very handy to keep with you at all times, in case you intersect with these people or think of something to talk to them about ad hoc. It is also easy to print out a single list if you want to walk into the meeting with hard copy for note taking.

You could easily have fifteen or twenty people and meetings that you are tracking this way—your direct reports, your boss, your assistant, your spouse, the weekly staff meeting, the monthly board meeting, etc.

If you have one very key person in your world, with whom you are constantly in touch about many different things, it might make sense to create another Task category for just that person’s agenda items. In other words, if your boss is Jenn, and much of your job consists of back and forth communications with her, consider creating an @Jenn category. Then you can enter items to talk with her about as separate Tasks, categorized as @Jenn, just like @Calls or @Computer.

Be careful though, because if you start to create more than one or two people as categories, you will undermine the simplicity of your action lists in Tasks. One or two key contact people would work, but group the rest under the @Agendas category (with a person as a Task, and agenda notes underneath or each entry starting with a person’s name in the subject to group them together) to keep it functional.

This will be much easier to grasp by actually going ahead and setting some of them up right now—i.e., create separate Tasks for each person you know you might have some things to go over with, and each meeting coming toward you that you are likely to have some agendas for. Assign each to the @Agendas category. Then think of some of those topics and things to cover, and insert them underneath the appropriate person or meeting in the Notes section.

Hope this helps!

Attached files

mwinn

Registered
Thanks

Thanks, Kelly!

I've been mainly playing in the WR challenge forum and just got back over to this one. My new iPad makes snacking in the other forums a lot easier. Now if I can figure out how to grab content on my iPad (brand new two days ago...) I'll be able to add this to my GTD reference materials. Any suggestions, anyone. I know a double tap Copies in a lot of situations, but it doesn't seem to work in the forums.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hello Plaid

See my extensive detail on this topic, to substitute for the removed articles, earlier in this thread (dated 5-12-11).

Thanks,
Kelly

plaid

Registered
Thanks Kelly, for some reason I didn't see the part earlier where it mentioned the articles had been removed.