New In Conversation with Daniel Levitin

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
We've posted a brand-new In Conversation interview.

Join David Allen for a fascinating, wide-ranging conversation with Daniel Levitin, whose latest book is The Organized Mind. Daniel is a professor of psychology, a cognitive scientist, a musician, an entrepreneur, and more. He brings recent cognitive research to bear on GTD, validating objectively what GTDers know subjectively -- that getting things off your mind frees your mind for more creative and productive thinking. David and Daniel discuss why the brain pays attention to some things and ignores others, the limits of short-term memory versus long-term memory, and why the Mind Sweep is not just a good idea, but a critical part of dealing with our modern lives.

David and Daniel talk about how GTD helps you deal with decision fatigue, and how GTD promotes the slow-wave brain activity that helps you to process and link information more effectively.

Here's a link to the audio, or you can find this in your GTD Connect podcast feed.
https://gettingthingsdone.com/connec...6&trackid=1281

In addition to The Organized Mind, Daniel is the author of the book This Is Your Brain On Music, which stayed on The New York Times and The Globe and Mail bestseller lists for more than 16 months and was named among the Top 20 books of 2006 by The Globe and Mail. The World in Six Songs: How the Musical Brain Created Human Nature debuted on The New York Times list, reached #1 on The Globe and Mail bestseller list, and was named one of the best books of the year by the Boston Herald and Seed magazine.

TesTeq

Registered
The volume level of this probably very interesting podcast is so low that I had to stop listening during my today's commute to work.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
TesTeq said:
The volume level of this probably very interesting podcast is so low that I had to stop listening during my today's commute to work.

Hi TesTeq, is it any different when you listen to the version on the GTD Connect site? Here's the link:
https://gettingthingsdone.com/connect/multimedia/audio.php?titleid=656&trackid=1281

I just listened to samples from both versions and they're okay for me with the volume slider a little more than halfway up.

Anyone else who's reading this find the volume on this recording too low?

TesTeq

Registered
I've listened to this podcast using my iPod Shuffle and the sound level is significantly lower than the level any other podcast including UpClose with David.

I've done an experiment with the GTD Connect site listening (Win7/Firefox) and the difference of levels between the conversation with Daniel Levitin and all other conversations is striking.

And no intro/outro music which previously was making these conversations so professionally sounding.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I've reconverted the original file, amplifying the volume. It sounds better to me. What do you say, TesTeq?