New look for Davidco.com and GTD|Connect.com

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hi GTD Connect Members,

On Tuesday, March 4th, you'll begin seeing a new look for Davidco.com and GTDConnect.com. For starters, we'll start using the URL http://gettingthingsdone.com/. The functionality is the same, but the look is different. We hope to make it more human, more empathetic, more mobile-friendly, and so on. We welcome your feedback. This initial verison is meant as a beta or soft launch for a week or so. Please email connect@davidco.com with any thoughts you have, including questions, issues you encounter or suggestions for improvement.

Thanks for your participation in the GTD Connect forums.

Best,
John

TesTeq

Registered
Authorization Required.

Authorization Required

This server could not verify that you are authorized to access the document requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g., bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.
Apache Server at gettingthingsdone.com Port 80

Authorization Required.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Screen shot of what you'll see

This is a sample screen shot of what you'll see. The content in this screen shot is not the live content yet, but I hope this gives you an idea of what to anticipate.

Attached files

Barb

Registered
Looks nice!

It's 3:00 in the morning and you're reading the Forum posts, John?? I thought I was bad!

It looks nice so far! I'm particularly excited about the idea of easier and better access from tablets and other devices. Anytime I can grab my iPad and walk away from my desk to work somewhere else is always exciting to me. Really looking forward to seeing what new and wonderful things your team has in store for all of us. I'm sure it will be first-class: it always is.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Most site features are now up and running, although we are still working out some bugs. Actually, we have quite a long list of actions! Please feel free to add to that list by emailing connect@davidco.com if you find things that are not working as expected. One thing that you may notice is that the upcoming webinars list shows webinars that have already happened. I'll update with the registration links for March-April webinars shortly.

ryanirelan

Registered
Looks nice, John and team! I have been logged in for so long on the old site that I forgot I had to log in to Connect and to the forums. :)

ProfessorSue

Registered
I had problems signing onto Connect too. I even tried switching browsers. Finally I used the "forgot password" link. I discovered a few steps later that my password had been fine, but the new system used my forum name of ProfessorSue as my ID, while the old system had a different ID for signing on purposes, and the Connect Forum had always been available without a separate login.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Thanks for your comments. We've been finding that in some cases, the link between GTD Connect and the forums has not been preserved. Since many people have a forum account before they become members of GTD Connect, we set have always had it set up that when the GTD Connect membership begins, there's a step for associating a forum account with the GTD Connect account. The forum upgrade we did has meant that some people have needed to go through that step again, of associating the GTD Connect account with the forum account. That's done by clicking on My Membership (upper-right of the screen on GTD Connect pages), scroll to the bottom and click on Forum Linking Changes. We'll walk you through this by email or phone if you'd like.

hikerpa

Registered
Hi John, the new design looks great! I was wondering if I might be missing something. In the previous forums I was able to view discussions that were new since my previous visit. Is there a way to set that up in these forums. Thanks Ellen

vbampton

Administrator
hikerpa said:
Hi John, the new design looks great! I was wondering if I might be missing something. In the previous forums I was able to view discussions that were new since my previous visit. Is there a way to set that up in these forums. Thanks Ellen
On the forum home page, click the New Topics link at the top.

Oogiem

Registered
Well I am finally in, my account was one of those that got unlinked.

Personally I don't like the display at all! Orange is not a comforting color to read but I'll go see if I can get a new skin to get it back to something soothing.

Cna't find out how to change the display order to newest on top, the sticky in this forum isn't accurate.

There is no way to see the forums with new posts since your last visit by looking at the highlighted forum name. That was very handy and useful. Pointing us to new content isn't as we have to scroll down too far to see it all.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Good to see you back in the forums, Oogie. Please feel free to keep the feedback coming. I'm keeping track of bug fixes such as the missing avatars.

Oogiem

Registered
Most urgent bugs from my POV

how to get the thread display to have newest posts on top

Get the button back at the top bar of each forum to mark forums read

Get the highlighting of forums with new posts back

Explain how to change the skin of the display so we can get rid of the irritating orange color

vbampton

Administrator
The mark forums read is currently Mark Channels Read above the forum listing on http://gettingthingsdone.com/forum/ (but yes I agree having the menu on all views would be useful)

I'm not loving the orange either! No other skins available at the moment, but if it bugs you, try the Stylish extension for Safari or Firefox.

Oogiem

Registered
What am I missing about Mark Channels Read that allows selective clearing of single forums at a time? It seems like it clears everything. What I used to do was go in to different forums at different times of the day. I could mark individual forums read without affecting the others that I hadn't glanced at or processed. Now it's all or nothing unless I'm missing how to set it up. I don't look at all forums or all threads at once, I really used the customizable version we had before a lot. Only really noticing how much now that it's gone.

Another bug, System lost all the history of what I had read or not. Everything showed up as new again.

TesTeq

Registered
Sorry for being negative but... Maybe I am old. Maybe I like things that work...

I don't like to login separately to GTD Connect and Forums. I am confused where should I enter this post's title and emoticon. Changes in the forum software broke my workflow. I don't know if I really want to figure out how to make my interaction with this great community fast and efficient. And I don't like this "Error" popup that was just displayed 5 times.

Or maybe it is just a foggy morning here - in Poland...

vbampton

Administrator
John Forrister said:
We hope to make it more human, more empathetic, more mobile-friendly, and so on.

John, for mobile friendliness on the forum, have you thought about installing the free Tapatalk plug-in?