New PDA Advice

jrdouce

Registered
I need a replacement handheld. I have used a Palm for several years and while I loved my Palm III, I have always hated my Tungsten T.

The Palm III was a solid machine that met all of my needs without requiring expensive third party software. The included Chapura hot sync program even covered up the fact that Palm does not support multiple addresses for a contact (I use Outlook at home and work). The Tungsten still did not support multiple addresses, and the bundled version of HotSync no longer handled the extra addresses automatically, and did not allow two-way sync even after I manually configured user defined fields. I lost a lot of addresses in the process. I eventually spent an additional $60 on KeySuite so my $400 PDA could handle contacts.

KeySuite is great, but when ever I had to install or upgrade it or my Palm software, they would uninstall or corrupt each other. Consider I’m synching with a home and work PC and I’d spend days trying to get both environment working again when ever I had to apply a patch or upgrade.

I am lost without a handheld now that my Tungsten has finally fallen apart (literally). I don’t what to buy. My wife has a Z22, which still does not handle home and work addresses for a contact. No wonder the Palm OS is dying. I liked the simplicity of the Palm OS (contact stupidity not withstanding), but I refuse to buy something that requires additional software to be usable. I’ve never had a Pocket PC, and it looks typically over featured and over complicated.

I want the 4 basic programs (Addresses, Lists, To Do, and notes) to sync with Outlook. I don’t want a smart phone, I don't want to need extra software and I would really prefer not to spend $400 again on a PDA.

I’m begging for options. Help!

Thanks all.

ommoran

Registered
jrdouce said:
I am lost without a handheld now that my Tungsten has finally fallen apart (literally). I don’t what to buy. My wife has a Z22, which still does not handle home and work addresses for a contact. No wonder the Palm OS is dying. I liked the simplicity of the Palm OS (contact stupidity not withstanding), but I refuse to buy something that requires additional software to be usable.

Hi,

I bought my Tungsten | E over 18 months ago, and it was an older unit then. Looking at my Palm Contacts list, I have both a home and business address for many of my contacts - plus birthdays, for that matter. So, it would appear that anything newer than a Tungsten | E would do.

I would suggest you go and look at the Tungsten | E2. If you just want a basic unit, that's the one I would recommend. Right now it's on at about $300 CDN, your mileage may vary, and always try e-bay. Good luck.

wordsofwonder

Registered
jrdouce said:
My wife has a Z22, which still does not handle home and work addresses for a contact. No wonder the Palm OS is dying.

The Z22 does indeed handle multiple addresses for a contact; it's just non-obvious how to make it work. Here's the secret:

1. Create a new contact.
  2. Scroll down to the address field and pick "Addr (W)".
  3. Enter the contact's work address.
  4. Tap the + icon at the bottom of the screen (next to the note button).
  5. Choose "Address" from the popup menu.
  6. Change the type of the newly-added address to Addr(H).
  7. Enter the home address for the contact.
  8. Repeat with the third address if necessary.

This is, I think, documented in the manual somewhere, but I remember finding it non-intuitive when I got a Z22. I've since upgraded to the Treo 700p to reduce the weight of my purse, but I think the Z22 is a great device for the money.

-- Tammy

mcogilvie

Registered
jrdouce said:
No wonder the Palm OS is dying. I liked the simplicity of the Palm OS (contact stupidity not withstanding), but I refuse to buy something that requires additional software to be usable. I’ve never had a Pocket PC, and it looks typically over featured and over complicated.

I don't think Palm is dying, at least not any more than PPC's. I do think that the pure PDA is dwindling away. Smart phones are the logical end-point of PDA evolution for now. I don't think we will ever see them as central again. Too much of what we do depends on the web, and screensize, battery life, et cetera make it difficult for most of us to run our lives off a pda. For example, I've decided mail on my palm TX (which does bluetooth and 802.11b) is just too much of a PITA to bother with anymore, except when travelling. Even then, so many wireless networks are locked down to the point that I need a laptop to negotiate the security. Hence many people perceive the need for a smart phone that hooks onto a wireless network that you know you can access, from your cell phone vendor.

jrdouce

Registered
Thanks for the feedback. I'll experiment with the Z22 to check out the additional addresses. I also think there is merit in the PDA evolution statement. I'm still wary of having all my information on a wireless device. I also prefer a smaller phone since I have my phone all the time and my PDA only occasionally. The Treo appears to be a very good crossover. What is the true battery life of a Treo?

What other PDAPhones do people like?

Life was simpler when I just had my TimeDesign binder to carry around.

Thanks.

R

ReBuild

If you are looking at phone/PDA combo's it really just comes down to the OS that drives the devise. In the US that is predominately Palm or MS Mobil. Depending on your likes and needs you should have a instinctive feel for the right device. Nevertheless, many reviews report that the MS Mobil OS throws up to many menu and sub menu options to get things done ... hence they rave about the Palm OS (typically no more than 3 menus to get things done). Also RIM a.k.a blackberry has a number of devices out there and is pushing into the consumer market.

An alternative is the built in phone directory and calendar feature that most current phones offer. Typically a under utilized feature but worth the look ... particularly if you only need the number rather than the address. Though I do recall/think my old ES T616 also carried the address across.

Re your concern about having all you info on a device ... it's also a issue for paper based systems. Loose it and it's all gone! At least with a electronic device you have a better opportunity of backing up, so losses can be less traumatic .

jrdouce

Registered
In a perfect world I would have a PIM (Personal Information Manager) program from which I could sync custom data points to my phone, handheld, and MP3 and from which I could print custom pages for the notepad binder I carry at work.

I'd love to use the phone's task & contact list, but I've never had a phone I could sync with the master source on my PC. Data entry on phone is difficult, I still like Palm's grafitti better than a tiny keyboard.

Thanks.

V

vvstevens

Tungsten E2. No doubt.

It's solid and priced right. Perfect for your needs. trouble-free outlook sync (I even sync with 2 machines)

ommoran said:
Hi,

I bought my Tungsten | E over 18 months ago, and it was an older unit then. Looking at my Palm Contacts list, I have both a home and business address for many of my contacts - plus birthdays, for that matter. So, it would appear that anything newer than a Tungsten | E would do.

I would suggest you go and look at the Tungsten | E2. If you just want a basic unit, that's the one I would recommend. Right now it's on at about $300 CDN, your mileage may vary, and always try e-bay. Good luck.

jrdouce

Registered
Thanks

Thanks for all your comments. I think I'm going to try the Tungsten E. It's got the latest OS and claims "Native" synch to Outlook. The BlueTooth could be good if I get a supported phone also.

Now I just have to get my GTD back in shape. I've fallen off the wagon and been run over by the wagon behind.

cornell

Registered
Palm reliability and support problems?

Hi jrdouce. I'd be curious to hear how your experience goes. I was looking at buying a Palm (esp. the TX ) but the reviews on Amazon and almost everywhere else were very poor - the things are apparently built badly, fail regularly, and their support is reputed to be in the dumps. After reading all of this, I realized I'm sticking with paper! FYI here's a nice article on paper vs. digital from Time/Design: Considering a Palm or Other Handheld?.

C

Claudia

cornell said:
Hi jrdouce. I'd be curious to hear how your experience goes. I was looking at buying a Palm (esp. the TX ) but the reviews on Amazon and almost everywhere else were very poor - the things are apparently built badly, fail regularly, and their support is reputed to be in the dumps.

So I'm not the only one who doesn't like Palm PDA! I used to use a Tungsten T2. I was so frustrated with the shoddy hardware quality - what with the screen buzzing, the three-times-a-day digitizer reset, and the stylus falling out of its silo every 5 minutes, and according to Palm these are all normal and not considered defects. Oh, and every time I hotsynced I'd get an error message and would have to reboot my laptop to try again. Feh.

Three weeks ago I replaced it with an HP iPAQ. I'm in love! :)

My recommendation would be "don't rule out PPC".

Claudia

kewms

Registered
I've been very happy with my Tungsten E.

From what I've heard, the T models got too carried away with loading on features, and ended up overpriced and unreliable. The E models keep things simpler and stuck closer to what made Palm successful in the first place.

Katherine

cornell

Registered
lots of comments and replies

jrdouce: "No wonder the Palm OS is dying." From what I hear, it's old, patched to the hilt, and widely-agreed to be unstable. I tried simply *installing* the Palm Desktop software, and the INSTALLER hung. Crap!

ommoran: "E2... If you just want a basic unit." The tiny screen is what kills me. Tiny! Plus the hardware quality is too low for me to try. Too bad Palm!

mcogilvie: "Smart phones are the logical end-point of PDA evolution for now." Agreed. Unfortunately, we're trying to keep our costs down, and to acquire fewer *things*, so cell phones are out. (GTDConnect... still evaluating.) But we're in the minority...

jrdouce: "Life was simpler when I just had my TimeDesign binder to carry around." I just spoke with a senior person at Time/Design, and she claims the back-to-paper movement is really picking up steam. Witness the HipsterPDA...

Claudia: "HP iPAQ" I'll check it out. I really don't care for Microsoft programs - too bloated and buggy! Plus draconian EULAs...

kewms: "...happy with my Tungsten E." Palm's site only lists the E2 (http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tungsten-e2/). Do you know if it's as bad as the TX? Sadly, no voice recorder...

Thanks everyone!

matt

jrdouce

Registered
kewms said:
My husband abandoned his T? (the early one, with the slider) for an E2, and is happy with it.

Katherine

I am sooo glad to hear that. The T slider was a pain, and it eventually broke. The E2 looks simpler and it has the new OS. The OS on the T was junk. I decided to give Palm 1 more try because of the great experience I had with my Palm III.

S

signmaker

Palm m500 to a Treo 700P

I had no problems at all with my Palm m500. It served me well for a couple of years. Nothing flashy, just b/w screen, but very functional. I sync Outlook with Key Suite -- just with one computer.

I moved to the Treo 700P with no loss of data. It is an awesome phone/pda. Just don't drop it too many times, or if you do, make sure you have insurance on it.

Stephen

GTDWorks

Registered
I use an HP iPAQ 2795 and sync it with Entourage using Missing Sync. I'm not too happy with the fact that none of my notes in Entourage are synced to the PDA There are other issues, too, with Pocket PC and Mac, but that I'll leave for now.

I hope to be able to upgrade to a Palm Treo once my plan allows for it. Then I have my phone and PDA all in one.