new software THE MASTERLIST - anyone try it yet?

jerendeb

Registered
I just downloaded the trial version. It is reputed to be an excellant helper for GTD. I found the link on Amazon while checking out Getting Things Done book & other formats available. It's at www.themasterlist.com it is rather daunting (to me) at first glance.

Later,

JERE

ext555

Registered
I tried it --great idea , very GTD like --but way too mouse-dependent.

(I was told this is version 4 of the software , it was released in 2000)

Basically you set up categories for your projects and then set up projects within the categories and add tasks as needed.

But --there's no such thing as an un-dated task --you use "the blaster" to fwd tasks that you can't -won't do today any number of days .

the nicest thing about it is, it shows you what project and category each task belongs to and you can view the entire project just by double clicking on the task.

It also syncs with oultook --sends tasks to unfiled. it can export and import calendar stuff but it can't import tasks --only export.

It was originally designed for law offices and I can see how it fits that like a glove -but for basic GTD I still prefer the outlook add in from netcentrics.

tfadams

Registered
a quote from one of the "reviews/testimonials" on the site:

"Bill and I have had a number of conversations over the years, ranging from mind mapping to the organizational approaches of David Allen, as set out in his classic book, Getting Things Done (which I thoroughly recommend to anyone who feels like the old to-do list has spun way out of control). For fans of David Allen, The MasterList gives you a tool to implement Allen's systems. I also like the fact that Bill has added a couple of features I requested over the last few years. "

It does look interesting and at $49.99 not too expensive, but I'm not sure that it would be a better tool if you're already using the Outlook Add-in.

However, one cool feature is the integration of Mind Maps...

ext555

Registered
tfadams said:
It does look interesting and at $49.99 not too expensive, but I'm not sure that it would be a better tool if you're already using the Outlook Add-in.

The program itself is 89.99 (for one license) and the mind map module is extra

Extra licenses start at 215.00 or something like that.

Personally I think additional licenses are a bit overpriced for a relational database which is what it is .

It's kind of akward to use for GTD --it's basically a project centered daily task list --the akward part is using color coding to prioritize (which you have to do since the items can't be drug up or down on the list )

jerendeb

Registered
Re: new software THE MASTERLIST - anyone try it yet?

jerendeb said:
I just downloaded the trial version. It is reputed to be an excellant helper for GTD. I found the link on Amazon while checking out Getting Things Done book & other formats available. It's at www.themasterlist.com it is rather daunting (to me) at first glance.

Later,

JERE

After a brief trial I have decided to Remove The Masterlist from my computer. Any program that is not intuitive to 'me' isn't worth my time. This one just didn't fit.

A

Anonymous

ext555 said:
tfadams said:

The program itself is 89.99 (for one license) and the mind map module is extra

Extra licenses start at 215.00 or something like that.

Personally I think additional licenses are a bit overpriced for a relational database which is what it is .

It's kind of akward to use for GTD --it's basically a project centered daily task list --the akward part is using color coding to prioritize (which you have to do since the items can't be drug up or down on the list )

https://www.netincom.com/secure_masterlist/purchase.aspx
On this page it's $49.99

ext555

Registered
odd , on their home page they say "if you're ready to purchase just pay us 89.99 for a single license " etc.

I tried to go to the page you listed but it won't load --their whole purchase page is down. .

tfadams

Registered
Yes, it is strange... the main page is down now. When I posted, I went to the "buy now" link from the main site and it listed the price as $49.99.

At any rate, I still think the GTD Add-in from Netcentrics is better, and this is just another alternative...

G

gradford

Using the Masterlist Program...

The Masterlist has as it's main advantage the linking of associated documents which can be project related. These can be made easily available during your review process. I combine this feature with a sheetfed desktop scanner to attache non-electronic documents using Scansofts Paperport software by scanning into the automatically created project folder in The Masterlist program. Any thought or suggestions welcomed...

DeveloperMCT

Registered
I'd like to preface this with a few statements:
-I don't like to criticise other software developers
-Sometimes software developers are not the ones who design the user interface
-I've never used the software, but have only gone to the web site and looked at the screenshots

By looking at the screenshots, it looks very user unfriendly and would take effort to use, which if true, goes against GTD basic principles. Again, I've never used it but have only looked over the screens, so I could be completely wrong about this. If the interface looked inviting to me, I would have downloaded it and gave it a try and possibly have bought it.[/list][/list]

G

gradford

I agree, the software has a user un-friendly feel, however, the usability of the software does offer alot of benefits that I have not found in anyother software. Written in a more fiendly interface would make the software simply great...