Next Actions and checklists

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by Greyone, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Greyone

Greyone Registered

I'm getting the had of putting my next actions on my lists and creating checklists where appropriate instead of a multitude of projects. But how to checklists relate to my next actions. Do any actions from my checklists that need to be done go on the appropriate list of next actions.

Can someone explain how I manage completing my checklists in terms of my next actions lists?

Thx

2. RS356

RS356 Registered

Urban Planner
    My checklists and Next Action lists are two discrete parts of my system. Next Actions are what is needed to move a project or goal forward; checklists support how those actions are done (for example, how to pack for a trip, submit a report, prepare for a presentation). As a general rule, I treat checklists as reference items.

Greyone likes this.
  3. Greyone

Greyone Registered

That sounds like just the thing for me - thank you.

RS356 likes this.
  4. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

I treat checklists as recipes for repeating projects that are irregular in nature. Repeating projects that repeat on a predictable schedule are just projects that have start again dates appropriate to their schedule and live in my normal system all the time. My checklists are things that I know I will have to do again but I am not sure exactly when the next instance will be. So packing for a trip, for example, I know I will be doing that at some point in the future but I don't know exactly when. SO I have a packing checklist. When a trip is planned I make a copy of that checklist in my active system make that a project and then work the actions. I've already thought out what and how I need to do it I just need to start an instance of that project.

I have checklists for lots of irregular repeating things and lots of regularly scheduled repeating projects as well.