NextAction! 2.0 - The Falcon has landed! (GTD on BlackBerry)

funkym

Registered
For those of you who were waiting for the new official GTD application NextAction! 2.0 Falcon: It has been released just some minutes ago! (Thanks to my feed reader :))

You can check out the official press release at: S4BB Limited » Press Release: NextAction! 2.0 Falcon has been released

New Features:
  • Project Support
  • Full Task Note Support
  • Incredible Performance Boost
  • Multilanguage: English, German and Chinese interface available
  • Desktop Synchronization Abilities: compatible with Outlook, Notes, ACT!, iCal, Entourage, Groupwise, etc.
  • Task Hiding

Download:
Free Demo (desktop install)
Free Demo (OTA)
NextAction! Quick Guide
NextAction! Manual

Where to get it:
Just go to NextAction! Purchase Page.
There is currently a $10 (25%) release discount for fast guys. Just enter NA20FALCONDISCOUNT at the end of the purchase process to get it. :cool:

Baylo

Registered
Netcentrics Add-in

This looks like an interesting app, but I'm curious to know how well it synchronizes with the Netcentrics add-in for Outlook. Will projects and contexts set up in the add-in show up in Falcan? Equally, will contexts entered into the Blackberry transfer to the add-in?

I appreciate the app already syncs with Outlook, it's really a matter of understanding whether the additional add-in attributes are recognized and used.

Thanks,

Mark

roakleyca

Registered
Mark ---

I have been using the NextAction 2.0 Beta version for a few weeks now, and I also use the add-on from Netcentrics.

The short of it:
- Yes, they do work together. But not seemlessly (gasp.)
- Categories (contexts) entered in Outlook will show up in the BB NextAction just fine.
- You can enter tasks in the BB, but I don't think the context gets transfered corrently when you get back to your outlook. The task shows up --- but no category/context is attached to it.
- With the Outlook Netcentrics add-on, projects are set up as a category so in the BB NA application they show up as a category as well. So you can see them in the NA app. However, the NA app does not use categories to set up thier projects --- they simply add a p: to the beginning of a task which allows it to differentiate between actions and projects.

All that said, this is how I use the 2 programs --- very successfuly. My phases:

COLLECT
I use my memo pad and pen which are in my back pocket 24/7. I DO NOT use the blackberry for capture --- for many reasons:
- It takes more time and energy to ENTER anything in my BB than it does to grab a pen and paper.
- I can be more creative with my pen and paper.
- It is less rude to pull out a pen and paper when talking to someone then the blackberry.
- OK, every once in a while I will enter a task directly into my BB. If I am already in the NA application, I just have to hit 'n' to create a new task and enter my stuff.......

PROCESS
Once I am on my computer, I process all these little pieces of paper into the outlook addon. I assign projects, and every task gets a context. I add notes in the notes section (since the new NextAction 2.0 supports notes!!!) to help me remember key info.

ORGANIZE
Tied in with process....

DO
Once I am clear and current, I use my blackberry to get stuff done. The NA application is SOOO freaking fast and slick for me to plow through my lists. Using just the spacebar, I can scroll through contexts and mark items as complete.

Bottom Line --- I am loving my system.

Time to go crank some widgets.

Ryan

Baylo

Registered
Ryan,

Thanks for the information - that's a great help.

Guess I'll be downloading the trial version and giving it a go.

Mark

gator

Registered
Question

When I put a next action as a task in "Outlook", shouldn't it synchronize to my Nextaction! application???

C

Charles77a

Close but not close enough

Too bad that NextAction2.0 does not support more than 2 categories per next action. For example: if I have an !Today, @Phone, and Goal:Unify Team as a categories on the underlying task, the next action does not show up in the !Today context view in NextAction2.0. It only shows up in the @Phone context and Goal:Unify Team context views. It appears if the underlying task has two categories assigned to it then it will show up in two different context views. Any more than two categories on the underlying task then it seems like NextAction2.0 ignores the extra categories. I cannot use NextAction2.0 because of this.

Due dates would be nice even though it goes against strict GTD.

Charles

funkym

Registered
12hourhalfday;51396 said:
what version of blackberry is required?

It is written there BlackBerry OS 4.1 and later. This would include all 71xx, 7250, 7290, 87xx, 88xx, Pearl and Curve models. Those should be the most important ones right now.

F

faskham

I note that the Manual says that you can quickly create a new Next Action by pressing the 'n' key.

I have a Blackberry Pearl. The manual shows screen shots from the Pearl.

However, the Pearl has predictive text, and the 'n' character shares the same key as 'b'. As such, when I press that key nothing happens!

Any ideas?

A

arco

faskham;51619 said:
I note that the Manual says that you can quickly create a new Next Action by pressing the 'n' key.

I have a Blackberry Pearl. The manual shows screen shots from the Pearl.

However, the Pearl has predictive text, and the 'n' character shares the same key as 'b'. As such, when I press that key nothing happens!

Any ideas?

I had the same problem - I think it is a bug in the demo version of the software.