Nextaction! for Blackberry

Paul Comeaux

Registered
Has anyone tried the program Nextaction! for Blackberry? It can be purchased from Handango. Looks like it tries to clean up all of the issues with the built-in task program. But I can't find any reviews of it, any reference to it anywhere but Hanango, and frankly can't even find the maker's website.

I just don't want to spend $50 on something that I can't read about or test.

But if it does what it says, it may be worth the $50.

Paul Comeaux

Registered
The article on BlackBerryInsight is where I found the reference to NextAction.

From there, I did find link to Handango.

Unless I am missing something, the "review" on BlackBerryInsight" is this:

The application “NextAction!” is not as feature-rich but specifically targets the “Getting Things Done”-approach. It uses the internal Task Database of the Blackberry and is therefore highly compatible with other applications. It targets the major shortcomings mentioned above and uses the GTD terminology.

“NextAction!” do not provide many additional features but makes the task input and management much faster and allows a very good GTD implementation.

While this is helpful, I am really looking for a full review. And perhaps a second opinion.

Again, $50 is a lot to spend on BlackBerry software--I'll be really unhappy if it does not perform as advertised, has a propensity to lock up the BlackBerry, etc.

If they would offer a trial, that would solve some problems. But they don't. So I'm just gathering info.

noteus

Registered
It seems there is now also a site available of them: http://www.next-action.com/

If have also asked (some time ago) via email about the purchase procedure and they told me that you will have a 30-day money back guarantee. However, this is still not mentioned on their site.

I also discovered that it seems they have a special offer outside the handango platform for 20% off! Damn it! Too late for me! :-|

F

FakeFlam

Thanks to a recent promotion, I received my first BlackBerry last week and purchased / installed Next Action last evening. My first impressions are very, very positive.

The lure of email, calendar, cell and most GTD functionality in one small device is for me compelling. I'll be working over the next couple of weeks to fully convert my paper-based (Levenger Circa) GTD implementation to the BlackBerry.

Please let me know if you have any questions -- I'll be happy to share my experiences.

scott

DrDave

Registered
I bought it and am quite pleased. As I posted on a Blackberry forum,

"I recently bought NextAction. I'm not connected with the vendor in any way.

It's cheaper throught their site than handango
"next-action.com" (Note forum won't let me post URL's as a newbie)

Basically, it does what is promised. Saves time and keystrokes which is valuable to me on a handheld device with a reduced keyboard (I have 7130e).

I like the ability to hide categories that are not relevant to GTD tasks. The synching with Outlook task list works fine. The only shortcoming I see is that NextAction can't see the notes field in an outlook task while the Blackberry task list can. This is not a big deal fro me as I use the Outlook task list for next actions more than projects (both used in the GTD sense).

The developer has emailed me asking for suggestions so he doesn't seem to be a phantom. Don't have experience yet to know how responsive he is as there have been no problems."

Further discussions with the developer indicate that support for the Notes field in Outlook tasks. He's not eager to support all Outlook fields as this would defeat the intention of a simple, steamlined GTD tool. I agree with him in this.

Dave

P

psale

DrDave,
Are you still using NextAction, and are you still happy with it?

Are you also using the Outlook Plug-in on the PC side?

DrDave

Registered
I'm still using it. And still satisfied. Mostly, I'm in a position to use my laptop so my demands on software for a portable device are not too much.

My company requires Notes mail so I'm not using the Outlook addin.

I do use Outlook to maintain tasks, contacts and calender but the addin mostly seemed to expedite mail handling so I didn't get it. May soon switch from Outlook to the Notes calender to save some manual entries.

F

FakeFlam

NextAction Follow-Up

After about 10 weeks of use, I've mostly stopped using NextAction. I wouldn't directly fault the software -- I think it's simply a matter of personal preference. A bit of history...

I initially implemented GTD via a Levenger Circa system and was quite successful. The biggest weaknesses though were lack of integration between Outlook and the paper-based system (printing out contacts, calendars, etc. was always a bit of a kludge.)

When I began using a BlackBerry, I (mistakenly) thought that a single GTD system would be optimum for me. Since the BB had all email, contact, and calendaring, I assumed that it should also have the rest of my GTD system -- hence my interest in NextAction.

As it turns out, I'm far more productive with a paper-based system. It's comfortable and it works for me. So, the Circa's in hand and the BB's on the belt -- each doing what they do best.

YMMV.

xoff

Registered
not the best

I bought Next Action! and was disapointed in the lack of integration to my outlook GTD add-in setup.

On the possitive is that it does allow you to create a task in one screen of the BB. In the standard BB app you have to go through two screens to create the task and THEN to assign the context.

The other possitive feature it allows you to filter your task list to more than one cotext (ie. @phone, @office, etc.)

The problem that I still have with NextAction and the BB app, is that I cannot assign a project when creating the task. So I find myself having to come back on my outlook to assign the project. So each task requires two steps in two different platforms (highly unproductive).

Maybe for all of us BB users with GTD Addin, the best solution in BB to create a task on the road that would in turn create as a task in outlook, would be to send ourselves an email from the BB with the tast content in a specific format, and then have a macro in OL that processes it and creates an outlook task with all the data. Not sure if anyone has tried this?

xoff

J

Jorge Ledesma DDS

Blackberry and Next Action on BB OS 4.1 Amazing

After having tried almost all Palm Pilots, from the Palm III to Tungsten T,C,TE2,X and the Treo 650, Dell Axim X30 and a few other pocket pc I have to say that for pure Gtdying my blackberry 7290 has been the best, its sync flawlessly with outlook 2003 and coupled with Next Action ! its awesome, although some have complained about NA for BB I think its a bit unfair, that it doesn't integrate the addin functionality, its not suppose to, its just what it is, the fast way to input next actions bar none, I'm 100% delighted and would only ask the developer that completed task be automatically sorted to the end of the list, if I want to put in the calendar I just use the standard bb task which integrates perfect with all views of the calendar, a lot nice interface than dbk5,6 or agendus, no icons to worry about, no color background to think about just text, alarms, in short this has been the best implementation of gtd in 5yrs and I consider myself a black belt, I'm truly delighted with the Blackberrie's ability to integrate so much functionality into a simple unit, its light, its got a great querty input, its awesome, I hope some of you give it a try and you'll see how much more gtding you'll be able to do once you get rid of the distracting icons and colors and this and that. Btw I paid 39.95 when you think about its a paltry some of money considering all the functionality it brings the BB user, money well spent in my opinion, think about its a movie and some food.

I recommend Next Action! 100% any question feel free to email me: jorgeledesmadds@fastmail.us

J

JasonRussell

To do Matrix

I am implementing GTD on my Blackberry 8700 using To-Do Matrix and Idea Matrix from Rex Wireless. I use to-do matrix for my actions and idea matrix for ideas, reference, evergreen lists etc.

One of the neatest features is that it allows me to delegate tasks by emailing the task to anyone in my address book. I can then change the status to "waiting" and it will file it away for me with or without a due date. There is also a wish list/someday priority selection. As I am using the program, I can't help but think that it was designed with GTD in mind. Has anyone else out there tried it? I have not seen any other reference to it on this forum.

Thanks,

Jason

Fireproof

Registered
JasonRussell;43205 said:
I am implementing GTD on my Blackberry 8700 using To-Do Matrix and Idea Matrix from Rex Wireless. I use to-do matrix for my actions and idea matrix for ideas, reference, evergreen lists etc.

One of the neatest features is that it allows me to delegate tasks by emailing the task to anyone in my address book. I can then change the status to "waiting" and it will file it away for me with or without a due date. There is also a wish list/someday priority selection. As I am using the program, I can't help but think that it was designed with GTD in mind. Has anyone else out there tried it? I have not seen any other reference to it on this forum.

Thanks,

Jason

Sounds great, but unless I am incorrect, the Matrix apps use a proprietary database and do not sync with Oulook. I'm interested in an app that syncs with Outlook, as I do 80% of my inputs/processing in Outlook and then view them (with some input/tweaking) on the Blackberry.

Next Action seems to be just what I need, but the price is too steep for just some Task list enhancements. If it were $20, I'd buy it in a second. But at $40, I'm finding myself "living with" the built in tasks. I know that doesn't seem like much money, but I just don't know if I'd use it enough for the money at that price point.

nineq

Registered
Creating GTD Tasks Automatically from Email sent to yourself

xoff;40670 said:
I bought Next Action! and was disapointed in the lack of integration to my outlook GTD add-in setup.

[...]

The problem that I still have with NextAction and the BB app, is that I cannot assign a project when creating the task. So I find myself having to come back on my outlook to assign the project. So each task requires two steps in two different platforms (highly unproductive).

Maybe for all of us BB users with GTD Addin, the best solution in BB to create a task on the road that would in turn create as a task in outlook, would be to send ourselves an email from the BB with the tast content in a specific format, and then have a macro in OL that processes it and creates an outlook task with all the data. Not sure if anyone has tried this?

xoff

I havent used Next Action because of the drawbacks that you mention. Instead I've been using the GTD Outlook add-in on and wondering how to use my Blackberry in the most GTD-compatible and efficient way.

The idea of sending yourself an email and then letting Outlook process it on the desktop computer and create the relevant task is a simple one, although it does have the minor drawback of having to have the desktop computer and Outlook constantly running if you want your Tasks to be updated in real-time.

Anyway, I thought I would give it a try by using an Outlook rule to filter any emails that I send to myself with a specific in the subject line.

This rule invokes a VB Macro that I am pasting below... It basically creates a new Task everytime such an email arrives, and then DELETES THE EMAIL (remove the last line of code if you dont want to do this).

The code is also very klutzy... the macro will look for any strings in the email which match the hard-coded list of Actions and Projects in the code (search for **** to find this). It will then try to assign Categories, Actions and a Project to the Task that it creates.

HOWEVER, it doesnt really work, because I have not found out who to assign Actions and Projects to this task: if I try the obvious:

objTask.Action = ...

I get an error. I think the problem is that a regular Outlook Task doesnt have the Action property. So one has to create the same type of GTDTask that the GTD Outlook add-in uses.

Maybe someone with more programming skills knows how to do this?

Outlook VB Macro below

Option Explicit

Sub SetCategories(MyMail As MailItem)
' This creates a new Task every time it processes an email whose Subject line starts with the string "stask ".
' The Categories of the Task are set by searching for any strings such as @Calls in the body of the task
' The subject, body, etc of the task are just copied from the email
'
' Things to do:
' Set the .Action of the Task
' allow the creation of Calendar events as well as tasks...

Dim sAction, sProject, sCategories As String
Dim sActions, sProjects As Variant

Dim i As Integer
Dim sBody, sSubject As String

Dim strID As String
Dim objNS As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim objMail As Outlook.MailItem
Dim objTasks As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim objTask As Outlook.TaskItem

strID = MyMail.EntryID
Set objNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set objTasks = objNS.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderTasks)

Set objMail = objNS.GetItemFromID(strID)

sBody = LCase(objMail.body)
sSubject = objMail.Subject

If Left(LCase(sSubject), 6) = "stask " Then
Set objTask = CreateItem(olTaskItem)

' Include all your actions here ****
sActions = Array("@Agendas", "@Anywhere", "@Calls", "@Computer", _
"@Errands", "@Waiting For", "@Read", "@Internet", _
"@Home", _
"@Office", "@Deferred", "Projects", "Someday")
' Include all your Projects here
sProjects = Array("@GTD Setup", "@Boat", "@CompMaint")

i = 0
Do
If sActions(i) "" Then If InStr(sBody, LCase(sActions(i))) > 0 Then sAction = sActions(i)
If sProjects(i) "" Then If InStr(sBody, LCase(sProjects(i))) > 0 Then sProject = Right(sProjects(i), Len(sProjects(i)) - 1)
i = i + 1
Loop Until i > UBound(sActions) Or i > UBound(sProjects)

If sProject "" Then
sCategories = sAction & ", " & sProject
Else
sCategories = sAction
End If

'objMail.categories = sCategories
With objTask
' the below line doenst work for some reason...
'.Actions = sAction
.categories = sCategories
.Subject = Right(sSubject, Len(sSubject) - 6)
.StartDate = Now
.Status = olTaskInProgress
.Importance = objMail.Importance
.body = objMail.body
.Save
End With
objMail.Delete
End If
End Sub