Nozbe/ Outlook

alir

Registered
Hi I am new to GTD and looking for advice. I have to use Outlook for emails and calendar but have fallen in love with nozbe - is there any way to use them together? I have been a franklin planner addict and even have their plug in for outlook that I love - not sure I love the GTD add in - seems too hard to set up but then again I have not tried it but have looked at the webinars. I am a project manager for a real estate development company so I have tons of tasks that are mini-projects and many other committments. any suggestions are appreciated!!

jbkendrick

Registered
Using Nozbe

While I don't have any specifics on using Outlook with Nozbe, I do have a great deal of information on my blog at http://johnkendrickonline.com about using Nozbe. You might find some of the posts there helpful, just check the index for Nozbe. John

BaasShapShap

Registered
David Allen - Using Nozbe and Outlook

Hiya, I bought the Outlook plug-in about a year ago when I got started on GTD and at first it seemed like the answer to my prayers. My inbox was zero’ed regularly :)

BUT my task lists were growing massively and I seldom worked on them as I was being repelled by them. I sat down one weekend to figure out what was wrong. I released that the problem was that I was simply shifting emails from the inbox to tasks and never actually doing the thinking about what the email actually meant and creating specific next actions. I resolved to change, but didn’t, it was just to easy not to do the thinking! Also, I have hundreds of @waiting for’s, again, too easy to create them without thinking about whether I really needed them.

So I moved to Omnifocus, but having work on Outlook and Omnifocus on Mac did not work very well and when travelling I have to try and do it all on my iPhone. But, I got the thinking part done. Before I would swivel seat to create a task in Omnifocus I would think about whether it was worthwhile doing and what the specific task was.

I have now moved to Nozbe it is superb. I now have the website up on my work laptop and work from there. I zero my inbox 3-4 times a day. During the zeroing process I do the thinking on each email. If it needs a task I create it in Nozbe and copy and paste into the comments to email, or the relevant part of the email. If there are attachments that are relevant to the project I upload them to Nozbe in the relevant project. I also have a folder in Outlook for Reference and one called @ACTION. I only put mails I think I will need in reference and emails that I want to respond to, but would take longer than 2 minutes in the @ACTION folder.

This seems to be working very well for me. Nozbe is awesome. I also now have an iPad and have Nozbe on that and my iPhone. Sometimes, if I have some clear time I take my iPad to the coffee shop, open Nozbe and review my lists and projects, updating as required and sometimes knocking off quick tasks over an Americano.

Hope that helps
Craig