Office365

Brooks

Registered
Thanks. The Outlook interface on my computer is different than my IPhone. I want to make the views similar, ie be able to group and view by categories. Any ideas welcome!

mcogilvie

Registered
Brooks said:
Thanks. The Outlook interface on my computer is different than my IPhone. I want to make the views similar, ie be able to group and view by categories. Any ideas welcome!
Idea: use something else to manage your tasks. Neither Microsoft nor Apple is particularly interested in helping you out, so you end up with third-party software anyway. And Microsoft isn't interested in helping them either.

bcmyers2112

Registered
@Brooks, I'm assuming you have a means of syncing your Outlook tasks to your iPhone's reminders (such as MS Exchange or a third-party tool). The reminders app doesn't have categories, but there is a workaround: create separate task folders in Outlook for each type of list you want to maintain. The Outlook task folders will sync to reminders as lists. I've done it that way before and it's workable.

If you're using MS Exchange there may still be third-party iPhone apps you can use to get your Outlook tasks on your iPhone. I've tried IMExchange, TaskTask and one other, the name of which escapes me at the moment. IMO none of them were very good though and I'm not sure they're still around.

sabahat

Registered
I used it probably longer than I've used any other digital task manager. I love the two way integration with Google calendar which is the best out there, and the keyboard shortcuts and other features are really comprehensively covered. No native mobile apps though which meant I had to reluctantly use another program. I know the developer has started work on an Android app though, so when that's up and running I'll probably take it up like a shot.

petriekm

Registered
I have office 365 also... I am on a Mac, a PC, and my iPhone. I have started using a combination of OneNote/Outlook for my GTD application. It's almost the same on all four platforms (web counts too) and can be set up just like a paper organizer.

I have a main notebook that has sections for COLLECTION, NEXT ACTIONS, CONTEXTS, PROJECTS, WAITING ON, and SOMEDAY/MAYBE. PROJECT SUPPORT and REFERENCE are separate Notebooks that I link to from within my main notebook.

I haven't exactly figured out the adding tasks and stuff from Outlook, but am working on it. At this point, it's just a matter of copy/paste as needed. OneNote does checklists, inserting of spreadsheets, PDFs, images, audio and video. And outlook is on both Mac and PC. I use the online version for the iPhone.

It actually beats all the other software and paper methods I've tried over the years.

Kevin_AB

Registered
Brooks said:

IMExchange will allow you to sort tasks by Category on the iPhoneiPad.

Kevin_AB

Registered
Brooks said:

IMExchange will allow you to sort tasks by Category on the iPhoneiPad.

JamesT

Registered
I would recommend looking at a different solution if you really want to implement GTD online.

have been an office user since the first edition and have implemented GTD with it in many different ways over the years. I've tried DA's setup advise, I've used 3rd party add-ins. I've never been satisfied with the setup. Many, many years ago I was even an Office support agent at Microsoft, so I have advanced training in how to use Outlook.

The problem (imho) is that you either spend way too much time trying to make the system do what you want. The purported benefits of having all your tasks in your main tool (outlook) end up not being worth it, in comparison to how much extra work you have to do to make the system work for you.

As an example - In outlook there is no hierarchy for tasks. So you end up having to hack the system in order to have a project and task relationship. Most people end up using the category feature to get around this problem. They make a separate category for each project and move the tasks for that project into each category. This is ridiculous waste of time in my opinion. So people then end up not using projects and now they are not really doing GTD... just a simple task list. That's just one example, I could go on and on.

I'm sure there are many people that are making it work Good for them! I just don't personally think the effort required is worth the pay-off, when there are so many other great options on the market.