Offline / fully encrypted GTD software

Yodude120

Registered
Hello,

I have a slight problem with using GTD at work.

I am currently stuck with using a terrible web-based software at work, run locally, to manage my ToDos and projects, it's called Redmine. Regardless of how some people might find it powerful, I find it has tons of bugs and stupid rules that get in the way of actually doing the work. I am therefore looking for an alternative to this software.

The problem is this: whatever I use, it has (preferably) to run completely locally or (at least) to sync to the Cloud only in a fully encrypted way (data should be encrypted and ideally anonymized in transfer and ALSO at the server). This is because of my employer's IT guidelines.

I have had difficulty getting my hands on a powerful app that can work completely offline. I have pondered using my own todo app (wunderlist) in an offline mode by putting it through a firewall, and have also found ONE app that doesn't seem to require sync yet has full-featured capabilites (2Do), but it's lacking a couple of features that I would prefer to have...

I am wondering if anyone has (app) suggestions or advice for this kind of scenario ? I am sure there are other GTD users working in environments where data confidentiality is an important consideration.

My GTD system revolves around using fixed lists, with searchable tags for project identification and review. I also use notes and comments on tasks as support material. And of course the usual stuff, like due dates.

I am also operating on macs, so I would like to have a mac app.

Thanks for your Feedback,
Youssef

Dave Edwards

Registered
Sorry to say that I don't have any suggestion....but based on those requirements (with the exception of searchable tags), I think your system is a perfect candidate for paper. Good luck.

Gardener

Registered
For a Mac, I'd suggest OmniFocus with the syncing turned off. It'll run on a Mac OR an iPhone OR an iPad, but if you don't sync, you'd have to choose just one of those. (At least, it didn't have non-networked syncing last time I looked.)

greeno

Registered
I'll second Omnifocus, but if you want to go with major encryption, you can put the local library on an encrypted disk image. You could also do remote sync onto an https webdav server (either internally or externally) which back ends onto an encrypted volume too. Takes some setup, but will give you much more flexibility.

Popeye

Registered
Hi

So your are stuck with Redmine... Is this an "certified" app/program from your employers IT department?

If so, then they probably will point out other apps that meets those IT guidelines from your employer.

I certainly wouldn't dare to risk the sensitive data when storing them in the Cloud through an app that I got a tips from someone att GTD Forums... :)

I mean, talk to your employer about this so you don´t brake any rules and guidelines and risking to expose some sensitive data from your employer.

My few cents..

TesTeq

Registered
Yodude120 said:
I am currently stuck with using a terrible web-based software at work, run locally, to manage my ToDos and projects, it's called Redmine. Regardless of how some people might find it powerful, I find it has tons of bugs and stupid rules that get in the way of actually doing the work. I am therefore looking for an alternative to this software.

Sometimes a tool (in this case Redmine) needs proper implementation and maintenance. There are many teams that use Redmine successfully.