On-Line Computer Backup Services???

Rogaine Warrior

Registered
Any suggestion or nomination for a good on-line backup service for a home computer? I'm looking for one that is reasonably priced and easy to install, automatic backups at times you designate, etc. I tried esureIt but have spent over one hour already unsuccessfully trying to install. Ease of use and of installation is a MUST! Thanks!

Kevin

pswets

Registered
Rogaine Warrior said:
Any suggestion or nomination for a good on-line backup service for a home computer? I'm looking for one that is reasonably priced and easy to install, automatic backups at times you designate, etc. I tried esureIt but have spent over one hour already unsuccessfully trying to install. Ease of use and of installation is a MUST! Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin-

Have you considered a usb external hard drive? They are cheap and many come with automatic backup software. Easy to configure, and you also eliminate the recurring costs of an online system.

G

GTDroadKill

Hmmm...

Dude, u sure you want to do this online? I mean, I love the idea and the concept is great, but what about bandwidth? Maybe you just have a little bit of data you are backing up, in which case it might be safe and way off-site, wich is cool for disaster (or whatever) recovery.

(not to mention CIA special ops and other covert... ?)

The USB drive is a good idea. I use firewire and USB2 drives all the time for that. I even have a USB2-DVD-burner that Robert that senior Peake bought for me that does the trick quite nicely. You can put a ton of data on that little disc and make as many as you want.

For me, the key is just to make a backup as fast and simple as possible. Otherwise I won't do it. And I remember one time... when I didn't do it... well.... suffice it to say I'm a backup advocate now. x2+1. As David says "once a philosopher, twice an idiot." I've lost my data... totally... a total of 3 time in my 20 year career. And each time, it was less than fun.

backUp Suite dreams...

g

TesTeq

Registered
Easy backup procedure - what about restore?

kewms said:
I use Connected DataProtector (http://www.connected.com/). Couldn't be easier to use. I've never had to recover the data, though, so I can't say how well restores work.

Katherine
Once upon a time when multiple 3.5" diskettes where the common backup media my friend made backup copy of several megabytes of his important files using only one diskette. He simply was not changing diskettes at the backup program request - he was only pressing ENTER again and again :)

The backup procedure was very easy but certainly he wouldn't be happy if he would have to restore his data :)

Katherine, don't you think that you should test the restore procedure?

markfinn

Registered
Online backup is a good service. When your computer crashes hard drive crashes, you lose a file, or stored in a file accidentally. Online data backup services, so that your files, photos and music safe in the off-site location. Backup features include things like automatic backups, incremental backups, archive ability and file managers.

PaulK

Registered
Mozy or Carbonite

I used Mozy for years, and used it a few times for restore. Worked well and minimal impact on my PC. Dropped it when they raised prices (230Gb backed up). I think they have come back down again now.

Switched to Carbonite which has been good for backup, but yet to do a real restore. Have tested a few to make sure it works.

I also use Acronis to backup to 2 different USB drives that I keep in my office (away from home). This means I can quickly restore a large amount from disk, with 'up to the minute' restore from Carbonite.

Just because you can't be too paranoid, I also have RAID (2 internal drives mirroring each other) in my PC.

tommysqueak

Registered
Crashplan

Crashplan has really cheap plans, plus there's a free one where you can back up to families or friends PCs. I think it runs on the major OS's too.

S

supergtdman

I just save all important files to the cloud, either Evernote or dropbox. Passwords and credit cards data and etc. goes to Lastpass which is also a cloud service. Everything can be accessed from any device and from any part of the world.

Then I also use acronis true image to have an image of the OS in the perfect condition. in case computer would get corrupted or whatever it would take 10 minutes to restore it to perfect condition and have all my files. I don't even bother with anti viruses and anything like that since I can just restore a computer from a total death and even if everything would get erased it just takes 10 minutes to go back to perfect condition without losing anything. I actually don't get any viruses or issues either, its just that if I do get them I'm very prepared. I earn money online and have to rely on my computers and my data a lot so that's why I'm so well prepared. I don't want anything to decrease my income, i dont want to lose any money basically.

I also have 5 computers + iPad at home and maintain them all that way, except of using acronis true image on iPad of course.

There are also some files which don't go to the cloud and I keep track of them separately but 99% of useful files just goes to the cloud

I personally don't see any better way to maintain my whole network but any comments are welcome because if there is anything better I would be interested.

Oh and btw I do also backup the data from those cloud services locally on USB hard drive every other month just to be 100% safe. It is very unlikely that Evernote and dropbox and lastpass would suddenly go down and disappear but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I also doubt there is a way to automate all that completely

LEAJ4

Registered
Syncplicity & KineticD

Data loss is a concern and in the past, I've lost files and regretted not being more systematic about backing up, plus now I also worry about losing my photos. The idea of off-site back-up appeals to me in case of a local disaster (house fire, tornado, flood) and because it's automatic.

I've used Syncplicity for a few years and have been happy with it & haven't found it a big problem for bandwidth. But the service is subject to the Patriot Act, which as a Canadian, is less than thrilling, so I also started to use KineticD, a service that resides in Canada, for some files (had one client with privacy concerns with US-based back-up). I need to decide whether to continue with both--it does get expensive.

I also recently bought an iomega eGo portable hard drive that is easy to use as a constant, automatic back-up and storage. When I go out of town, I disconnect and store it away from my computer so that if there was a fire or theft, I'd still have all my data. I can also use it with my laptop if I'm away from my desktop or just want a change of venue.

Julian

Registered
What do you really need?

Wrt Rogain's original question:

Decide what you are looking for: File backup or disaster backup.
Then, solutions will depend on your OS/platform.
I have tried many PC and a few Mac disaster recovery solutions. Several look good until you really need them. Only 1 way to know: test the disaster recovery performance. (My criterion: If your computer was lost and you buy a similar/newer replacement, will the program get you up and running in 1-3 hours with all of your data and programs.)
Disaster backup: For the Mac, Time Machine is very good. Even better is to clone you disk using the Mac utility "disk utility" to intermittently create full disaster recovery (bootable) backups to USB-attached HDD. You MUST boot the Mac from a boot DVD (or USB drive if a Mac Air) to write a complete and reliable disk clone.

File backup: Currently I use DropBox. All important files are in folders under DropBox, and are mirrored to another computer and the DropBox website whenever I am internet-connected. It is hard to get far behind on file backups with DropBox or equivalent. The key features that determines usability for file backup are 1) must sync to a server or a always-available mirror machine, 2) run automatically in the background. A big plus is iPhone access to my DropBox files. (I pay for extra DropBox space.)