OneNote vs EverNote

Test_John

Registered
Hello,

Just got my hands on OneNote.

I've been using Evernote to capture my ideas, etc. and I really like it for this purpose, but it's just not very suitable for GTD - eg. I can't easily manage projects and keep track of things in it. It's really more for keeping reference material as it's easy to archive it and then search it.

Onenote seems like a pretty good solution (from first glance) for keeping track on what's going on, projects, etc. But I don't think it's a good system for keeping reference material.

In Evernote you have tags, so for example, I have about a 1000 different notes for my Business section (project ideas, marketing concepts, etc. etc.). The cool thing is if I decide to do something and then I can always check inside evernote if I haven't had any ideas/reference on this before and thus save time from brainstorming it all over again.

It'd be really cool if I could have all my reference notes inside OneNote so that everything is on one central system.

The problem I see is that I can't really have 1000 separate notes inside OneNote...

Maybe some more experienced users will enlighten me?

Thank you in advance and take care!

Test_John

Registered
Thank you my friend!

This now makes so much more sense!

I still have a little bit of a problem with the Tags though - I have really a lot of tags in use (that's how I categorize my ideas and ramblings) so it might be a bit of a hassle using tags the way you have, but otherwise - your blog posts have been enlightening to me (especially the first one, where you shall how you generally organize the whole system) !!!

Thank you for once again helping me out with GTD (I still remember who helped me get on this forum in the first place!! :D ).

WebMarketer

Registered
Test_John;64180 said:
In Evernote you have tags, so for example, I have about a 1000 different notes for my Business section (project ideas, marketing concepts, etc. etc.). The cool thing is if I decide to do something and then I can always check inside evernote if I haven't had any ideas/reference on this before and thus save time from brainstorming it all over again.

It'd be really cool if I could have all my reference notes inside OneNote so that everything is on one central system.

The problem I see is that I can't really have 1000 separate notes inside OneNote...

Dude, you can also use tags in OneNote! :D

They're actually one of the coolest features in ON.

Shoot I gotta go now, I'm in a rush here... But I'll follow up with another post soon. I use OneNote and I really like it.

Just wanted to let you know!

Test_John

Registered
WebMarketer;64188 said:

Shoot I gotta go now, I'm in a rush here... But I'll follow up with another post soon. I use OneNote and I really like it.

I'm eager to read your follow up!

fokke.kooistra

Registered
Test_John;64187 said:
I still have a little bit of a problem with the Tags though - I have really a lot of tags in use (that's how I categorize my ideas and ramblings) so it might be a bit of a hassle using tags the way you have,

Have you tried the nested tags feature? I have little or no use of tags in my workflow as you have read. For ideas and ramblings I prefer just lists.

Test_John

Registered
Kiddo;64207 said:
Have you tried the nested tags feature? I have little or no use of tags in my workflow as you have read. For ideas and ramblings I prefer just lists.

I never knew that. It's pretty cool thanks!

It might actually solve my problems!

Thank you once again my friend I don't know how to express my gratitude!

Test_John

Registered
A question in regards to:

http://www.fokkekooistra.nl/blog/2008/11/30/evernote-and-gtd-1/

Specifically:

afbeelding-21.png

Inbox is clear.

Now, Next Actions and all the @ lists. For example @Work - do I keep the next actions to do at work in both Next Actions and @Work or just in @Work?

Projects - as far as I understand that's where I keep the list of current projects. But where do I keep the actual brainstorming, etc. for each project?

Also - where do you keep your "tickler" file? Evernote does not have a calendar so have you come up with anything?

tedpenner

Registered
WebMarketer;64188 said:
I love OneNote too. It's a slick design. The real problem with OneNote for me is that I needed better portability for some of my non-work 'personal productivity' items. I keep all my 'actionable' stuff in calendars and to-do list based on the GTD system by David Allen but for reference items, both OneNote and Evernote are terrific. Evernote does a better job with file attachments than did OneNote thus eliminating the tagging need for me now that it is largely used for reference. This means I can have any number of intricately complicated files of any type on a single page. This and the fact that Evernote is simply more portable make it my choice. OneNote was very promising and I archived mounds of data there. It was just too proprietary in nature (IMHO), not allowing it to really grown and mature to the online community as Evernote has. Evernote is even available on my iPhone.

THE DAY WILL COME - free and open-source productivity
1) Free Broadband from anywhere
2) Open-Source and Free iPhone-Like cellular device
3) Open-Source GTD and Evernote-Like Reference systems.

nick_ross

Registered
Onenote for notes, Evernote for facts

I've set myself up with both products - along the following lines...

Onenote - I use for all project materials, keeping notes on meetings and calls, and using the 'Send to Onenote' printer regularly. Each project gets its own folder, and all notes within the folder are related to the project. Onenote just works - especially on a Tablet PC.

Evernote - this is more of a reference tool for me. I'm not using it as my primary note taking software as the inking isn't great (I use a tablet - but can't mix text and ink like Onenote, and the pen cursor really annoys me - sad but true) and I can't print to Evernote like I can in Onenote. Having said that, the fact I can access the notes on my iPhone means that it's an excellent reference tool, containing information on everything from Wireless Security keys to Restaurant addresses in cities around Europe.

Of course - my main GTD system is in neither - I use My Life Organised to keep track of next actions and projects - but then each MLO project is lined into Onenote for navigation ease.

I'd be interested to see how others use Onenote/ Evernote - as always looking for ways to improve my system :)

tedpenner

Registered
nick_ross;64246 said:
I've set myself up with both products - along the following lines...

Onenote - I use for all project materials, keeping notes on meetings and calls, and using the 'Send to Onenote' printer regularly. Each project gets its own folder, and all notes within the folder are related to the project. Onenote just works - especially on a Tablet PC.

Evernote - this is more of a reference tool for me. I'm not using it as my primary note taking software as the inking isn't great (I use a tablet - but can't mix text and ink like Onenote, and the pen cursor really annoys me - sad but true) and I can't print to Evernote like I can in Onenote. Having said that, the fact I can access the notes on my iPhone means that it's an excellent reference tool, containing information on everything from Wireless Security keys to Restaurant addresses in cities around Europe.

Of course - my main GTD system is in neither - I use My Life Organised to keep track of next actions and projects - but then each MLO project is lined into Onenote for navigation ease.

I'd be interested to see how others use Onenote/ Evernote - as always looking for ways to improve my system :)
The iPhone and Nozbe will truely change your life!

fokke.kooistra

Registered
Test_John;64224 said:
Now, Next Actions and all the @ lists. For example @Work - do I keep the next actions to do at work in both Next Actions and @Work or just in @Work?

Projects - as far as I understand that's where I keep the list of current projects. But where do I keep the actual brainstorming, etc. for each project?

Also - where do you keep your "tickler" file? Evernote does not have a calendar so have you come up with anything?

Hi John,

Missed this post so here is a somewhat late response. I used to enter in the Next Actions notebook a set of actions I wanted to finish within 24 hours.

I am not entirely happy with that approach in my current workflow. So most of the time I just work of the @ notebooks. Now that I have a premium account documents I work on are in Next Actions, but I might change the name to Action Support.

Project is a list of projects, you are right on that one.

I am still lookin for a good digital tickler setup. So far I use the banners at the top of my digital calendar as a tickler. If you have a better system, let me know.

sebvandort

Registered
Hi Fokke,

Thank you very much for your investigation on GTD and how to use it with evernote.

I love evernote but found it difficult to integrate with GTD. Your post explains very well on how to use it.