Outlook on two computers

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I am using Microsoft Outlook at home and work and am trying to implement GTD method on both. I would like to know if there is any way to sync these two? I see some export functions in Outlook, but they do not seem to be geared towards a full duplication or replication of the data.

I am planning to have exact duplicates of my home and office Outlook files.

Thank you for any help and tips.

BTW, I just downloaded the white paper...

big al

P

PhilRodgers

Re: Outlook on two computers

Hi,

I am also using Outlook at home and at work, and the solution I've adopted is:

- get one of those USB storage devices
- create an outlook data file on it (File/New/Outlook Data File)
- keep all my GTD data there.

Of course it's then vitally important not to lose the USB drive, and keep a backup.

Phil

A

Anonymous

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the message. Yes, that sounds good. Is the copy of the data on your USB device the master? I can see that would eliminate a lot of syncing chores.

Thank you,
big al

P

PhilRodgers

Yes, I keep the master data on the USB device, so it's just plug in & go.

Phil

A

Anonymous

Keeping Outlook on 2 Computers Sync'd

The simplist way to accomplish this for me has been to use a Pocket PC PDA (Dell has na inexpensive Axiom) which allows you to set up "partnerships" with 2 computers. You can sync via USB cable or IR so no extra wires to carry. And the best benefit is you now have your GTD in your hand! :D

jrdouce

Registered
I agree with the PDA approach. I've been keeping Outlook on home and work PC's in sync for several years. If you go with a Palm, make sure the OS handles all the features of Outlook that you care to use. OS 5.0 and earlier only hold 1 address per contact and only 1 category per task etc.

I believe that OS 5.2 and the forthcoming 6.0 are fully compatible with Outlook.

A

Anonymous

A better USB method

I think Phil Rodgers has the right idea. The only way I could ever find of moving data from my office desk machine to my laptop was the export-then-import approach. But to avoid duplicating data I had to open every folder on the laptop and delete everything in it first. Even then, Outlook would do weird stuff. One-day all-day events would somehow inexplicably become two-day events. And just which of those two days is the birthday on? or the trade show? (The work-around is to type the date into the task name, but if you use all-day events for hard landscape tasks and deadlines--as David Allen suggests--you get a real mish-mash). The upshot is that you give up on having your outlook data on more than one computer. (I thought I could use my Palm to sync between the two but even Palm tech support says that you can't do that. The Palm has to sync with one dedicated computer.) I don't know why Microsoft has never made it easier to synchronize Outlook data between two computers; something many of us would find very useful. Perhaps there is a way and I'm just not savvy enough to know how to do it, but I've looked and never found one.

Mr. Rodgers has the right idea. But an even better idea would seem to be one of the Migo USB thumb drives that I read about in Newsweek a few days ago (4migo.com). They're pricey, but they have embedded software to synchronize Outlook files (and presumably any other files). So all of your Outlook files remain on your home base computer and map to the Migo. You can then insert the Migo into any other computer that has Outlook and it becomes a virtual copy of your home base computer. Do whatever work you need to do, remove the Migo (it will leave no traces behind) and when you plug it back into the home base computer it will synchronize your Outlook files. Perfect!

The panel went out on my old Compaq laptop last week and since the cost of a new panel is nearly as high as a new laptop, it will not be repaired. But I will probably never own a laptop again. After reading Marc Ochant and Michael Hyatt here and elsewhere, I believe that a tablet PC would be a much more useful portable computer for my needs. But before I buy one of those, I can--for a fraction of the cost of a tablet or laptop--buy a new desk computer to put at the house, with a full-size keyboard and enough muscle and a monitor large enough to do serious graphic work. My wife can have her e-mail, calendar, contacts, and whatever else she wants in Outlook; and when I plug in a Migo it will become my machine, with all of my Outlook files... plus a duplicate set of all of the critical files from my business. (I've been using re-writable CDs as my only backups but recently learned how fragile they can be.)

A

Anonymous

notebook as USB storage device

I have my master Outlook files on a USB device which I plug into my home and office PCs, with a twist: my USB device is my new Sharp MM20 notebook which comes with a drop-in cradle that makes it a USB storage device. I bought an extra cradle and I am set. The added benefit is that in addition to using Outlook at home and work, I can also run it on the notebook anywhere else. I hope someday to have a tablet PC, but they're still to heavy for me. The MM20 is < 2lbs and I take it with me pretty much everywhere.

MM

A

aytchr

The PDA is the way to go!

I've been using a PocketPC with outlook on both home and office computers for about 3 years. I just downloaded and started using GTD Add-Ins for Outlook and it works perfectly. You can even keep files sync'd. It's a good life!

H :p

A

Anonymous

For what it's worth

I think there is a sync solution to Yahoo (which supports all that crazy PIM stuff), so you could conceivably sync work to yahoo and sync home to yahoo, then all would be sync'ed - plus you can access all your stuff from any web-enabled computer. Try:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/intsync/

MsftMan

Registered

PhilRodgers said:
Hi,

I am also using Outlook at home and at work, and the solution I've adopted is:

- get one of those USB storage devices
- create an outlook data file on it (File/New/Outlook Data File)
- keep all my GTD data there.

Of course it's then vitally important not to lose the USB drive, and keep a backup.

Phil

Along the lines of Phils method listed above, you can also do this using Microsoft's Briefcase feature and using a CD-RW drives and disk. If you have CD-RW's on both computers.

What you would do is cerate a Briefcase on the CD, copy your datafile as per Phil, and open it up on either the desktop or laptop. It will sync and update utomatically between the two. In fact this might be a more foolproof mehtod even if you are using a USB drive. Never a chance of duplicates.

jerendeb

Registered
Palm, merge & use two PC's

Palm m515 OS 4
At Home Outlook regular Internet email
At Work Outlook MS Exchange

I have Palm installed at home not at work yet.
I have 2 cradles
My Palm have Home stuff on it.

How should I go about getting setup to 'merge' the 2?
My 1st concerrn is profile names.

I'll layout what I think I should do, can someone assist me & correct me?

1. Install Palm at work for the 515
2. Now what, Hot Sync? What about profile?

Thank you in advance.

A

Anonymous

re: Outlook on two computers

I have been evaluating OsaSync Pro for the past few days after having tried Outlook Sync. I found numerous methods to do so via this site: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/sync.htm.

Unlike the other applications I have tried, OsaSync keeps network connected computers in sync according to a user supplied time interval. There is no user intervention required outside of initially setting the software up.

Hope this helps and Good luck.

David Mihm, Architect