Outlook setup questions

akoskabbt

Registered
Been working on my system and have used the outlook setup guide. Have some questions that I'd like to get some thoughts on from more experienced users (I'm a newbie).

I currently have 215 recurring ticklers – have them as outlook tasks by context (@home, @call, @computer) – should they all be under one category like ticklers? These are things like – pay sales tax by 20[SUP]th[/SUP] of the month, pay estimated taxes, clean out the vacuum filter, change air filters, pay payroll liabilities, call to schedule annual physical, call carpet cleaning company (twice a year), arrange window cleaning. Or keep them by context/category with due dates.

Should reference material be in tasks or notes? I have both as well as a reference folder under the inbox so I’m looking for stuff in 3 different places within outlook.

Should someday maybe be tasks with a category/context of someday maybe assigned to them or under notes as one big long list.

How to keep up with blogging/content repackaging info. I receive emails with content I'd like to share/repackage and send out to my clients. how do I keep track of all that data and the links? I have a folder named Content to Share where I can drag the emails, but then I have a hard time finding content I'm looking for and then also knowing which things I have used. Should I create a task for reference and then list all the links in the notes section of the task or create an outlook note and then list them out? I just don't know what would work best.

I know that there is no right or wrong way to do all this. I just wanted to get some input so maybe it will become clear to me what would work best for my situation. Thanks!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi! Let me see if I can help.

Currently have 215 recurring ticklers – have them as outlook tasks by context (@home, @call, @computer) – should they all be under one category like ticklers? These are things like – pay sales tax by 20[SUP]th[/SUP] of the month, pay estimated taxes, clean out the vacuum filter, change air filters, pay payroll liabilities, call to schedule annual physical, call carpet cleaning company (twice a year), arrange window cleaning. Or keep them by context/category with due dates.

I would not be blending these with my Next Action lists, but instead the ones that happen on a date would be on my calendar on the day they need to be done and everything else would be on a checklist(s). The reminder to review the checklist would also be on my calendar, or added as a custom Weekly Review item. The reason I would not have them on Next Actions is that everything on those lists should be things I can do NOW--not future actions.

Should reference material be in tasks or notes?

Either. But Notes is so simple and underbuilt, you might find it doesn't do what you need. You may even find OneNote or Evernote much more robust for your Reference. We have a OneNote guide coming out next week that walks you through how to set it up and even integrate it with Outlook.

Should someday maybe be tasks with a category/context of someday maybe assigned to them or under notes as one big long list.
Either. I keep mine in as a list, but I have 5 different Someday/Maybe lists for different types of items (work, personal, volunteer, house, travel).Really the question to ask is how could you organize it so that you can review the information easily going forward? Would one big list handle that or dividing it out. Up to you. Be kind to your "future self" on needing to go find the information again.

How to keep up with blogging/content repackaging info. I receive emails with content I'd like to share/repackage and send out to my clients. how do I keep track of all that data and the links? I have a folder named Content to Share where I can drag the emails, but then I have a hard time finding content I'm looking for and then also knowing which things I have used. Should I create a task for reference and then list all the links in the notes section of the task or create an outlook note and then list them out? I just don't know what would work best.

I think this one will be trial and error. Sounds like you have a good system now. I have repeat information I need to send out and I keep it as a reference item in my system.

Hope this helps! Sounds like you're doing great.

Kelly

LeightonJ

Registered
Can I ask a follow on question here....

If I look at pages 32/33 of the GTD setup manual I appear to get either:
* all outbound mails filed in the @Waiting for support folder ( if I follow the instructions) or
* if I do cc myself it goes into that folder

Can I get a clarification please?

Thx