Outlook task catagories too complex

Ramalew

Registered
I use Outlook tasks for context and non-context tasks and actions. i.e.
1. Today
2. Call
3. Office
4.Errands
5. etc. etc.
DRP - Joe Bloggs (Direct Report tasks)
DRP - John Smith etc.
DRP - etc. etc.
Project - management Meeting
Project - Finance
Project - etc. etc.

My categorised task list is a little too cumbersome and includes actions as well as tasks. I would like to move the non-contextual tasks somewhere else. I realise the non-contextual stuff (projects, DRPs) are really project support material but I need to keep them within the Outlook environment if possible. I already use Appigo's Todo list app as it syncs with exchange and don't want another app.

Does anyone know how I might better store the support tasks.

TesTeq

Registered
My categorised task list is a little too cumbersome and includes actions as well as tasks.
What's the difference between actions and tasks? What's your definition of "task" (it's not part of the GTD methodology which defines Projects and Next Actions)?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I use Outlook tasks for context and non-context tasks and actions. i.e.
1. Today
2. Call
3. Office
4.Errands
5. etc. etc.
DRP - Joe Bloggs (Direct Report tasks)
DRP - John Smith etc.
DRP - etc. etc.
Project - management Meeting
Project - Finance
Project - etc. etc.

My categorised task list is a little too cumbersome and includes actions as well as tasks. I would like to move the non-contextual tasks somewhere else. I realise the non-contextual stuff (projects, DRPs) are really project support material but I need to keep them within the Outlook environment if possible. I already use Appigo's Todo list app as it syncs with exchange and don't want another app.

Does anyone know how I might better store the support tasks.

You might want to consider integrating Outlook with OneNote. The new GTD & OneNote Setup Guide talks about how to do this.

Paul Smith

Registered
I hear you say you don't want another app, but you might look at Tasklist for Outlook. It doesn't replace anything, but it provides a way of arranging your Outlook tasks in a tree view. You can filter the list by Outlook category. You could make two top-level nodes, and give them Outlook categories "Categorized" and "Noncategorized" (or whatever). Put all your categorized tasks under the "Categorized" node. Then if you just want to see the categorized tasks, filter the list by the Categorized category. If you want to see the Noncategorized tasks, you would filter by that category, or turn off the filter to see everything. www.tasklist.biz.