paper system - agenda layout tips

RianneK

Registered
Hi,
I'm working with a paper system and it really works for me. But only not the calendar.
I did some digging around, but information about paper GTD systems isn't easy to find.
Do you have tips or links for me? I would be really thankful!

Thanks in advance,
Rianne

devon.marie

Registered
Is there a specific need you want to meet with your paper calendar? Such as a way to visualize all of your meetings, or room to take notes throughout the day, etc.? What isn't working for you currently? I recently designed my own paper planner because I had the same type of struggles, ha!

devon.marie

Registered
TesTeq said:
Did you publish this design?

I didn't, but I'm happy to share. So here's a link to download them (click me!). They're sized for the Junior ARC notebook (5.5"x8.5", or half of a standard 8.5"x11" sheet of paper). I put the month in the top blank spot and the day number on the line next to each day of the week. I box off meetings and scheduled events in the planner portion at the top, and use the lines below each day for scheduled tasks & noting deadlines. Our hours are 8-8 Mon-Sat, which is why those are the hours listed and there's no Sunday. I'm happy to make any small changes if someone wants them.

Last edited:
chirmer said:
I didn't, but I'm happy to share. So here's a link to download them (click me!). They're sized for the Junior ARC notebook (5.5"x8.5", or half of a standard 8.5"x11" sheet of paper). I put the month in the top blank spot and the day number on the line next to each day of the week. I box off meetings and scheduled events in the planner portion at the top, and use the lines below each day for scheduled tasks & noting deadlines. Our hours are 8-8 Mon-Sat, which is why those are the hours listed and there's no Sunday. I'm happy to make any small changes if someone wants them.

Here's a page of it in use, too, for the visual learners among us: Image click here

Wow! I love the setup you have there! Thank you for adding the picture of it in use! I am definitely a visual learner! :)

And I love that you have the Weekly Review scheduled off! ;)

TesTeq

Registered
chirmer said:
I didn't, but I'm happy to share. So here's a link to download them (click me!). They're sized for the Junior ARC notebook (5.5"x8.5", or half of a standard 8.5"x11" sheet of paper). I put the month in the top blank spot and the day number on the line next to each day of the week. I box off meetings and scheduled events in the planner portion at the top, and use the lines below each day for scheduled tasks & noting deadlines.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pure simplicity!

I have a Zen-like feeling when I am looking at these empty planner pages.

And the urge to fill them! (dangerous)... ;-)

TMac

Registered
chirmer said:

Here's a page of it in use, too, for the visual learners among us: Image click here

Just printed a copy and loaded my calendar for this week. This really looks like it will work for me. Very clean layout, it gives me a snapshot of my week. Thanks chrimer for such a valuable contribution to our community!

devon.marie

Registered
JonathanWoodruff, TesTeq, and TMac:

You flatter me! I'm happy the pages can help, whether they're downloaded and used or inspiration to be used elsewhere. I have used Trello/Google Calendar myself for years, as well as other apps, but I don't always have a computer accessible during meetings and it's very frowned upon to use one's phone. So I'm experimenting with paper and I've used roughly this setup for a month now (with a few little tweaks, like removing Sundays for more space). I highly recommend the ARC (or Levenger Circa) system if you want to print your own pages - it's incredibly versatile. I keep a rolling half-year in my planner (when a month ends, I remove it and add another onto the end of the planner).

radioman

Registered
I use an entirely electronic-based system, but a few years ago, I stumbled upon a paper-based system here: http://bulletjournal.com/.

I make no claim that the system is "GTD-compliant" (for those to whom that matters), but it struck me as an excellent starting point for those who want to use a paper-based system.

Joe

devon.marie

Registered
radioman said:
I use an entirely electronic-based system, but a few years ago, I stumbled upon a paper-based system here: http://bulletjournal.com/.

I make no claim that the system is "GTD-compliant" (for those to whom that matters), but it struck me as an excellent starting point for those who want to use a paper-based system.

Joe

I LOVE certain aspects of Bullet Journaling. I really think you can successfully apply bits of it with GTD. For example, your tasks lists being Collections in your journal, the Future Planning section as a whole is good, and then each day's daily log allowing you to see your tasks for the day with your schedule, like a planner would. I also think rapid logging is a great Inbox.

larstein

Registered

JonathanWoodruff, TesTeq, and TMac:

You flatter me! I'm happy the pages can help, whether they're downloaded and used or inspiration to be used elsewhere. I have used Trello/Google Calendar myself for years, as well as other apps, but I don't always have a computer accessible during meetings and it's very frowned upon to use one's phone. So I'm experimenting with paper and I've used roughly this setup for a month now (with a few little tweaks, like removing Sundays for more space). I highly recommend the ARC (or Levenger Circa) system if you want to print your own pages - it's incredibly versatile. I keep a rolling half-year in my planner (when a month ends, I remove it and add another onto the end of the planner).

Could you please repost links? I cannot seem to get them to connect.
Laura

devon.marie

Registered
Chirmer, JonathanWoodruff, TesTeq, TMac and Larstein:
Can someone please repost Chirmer's link for paper planner and picture of it in use (link provided here shows that file was deleted)?
Apologies! In the years since this post I've not only dumped Dropbox, but also completely changed computers (and OSes). I believe I still have the file somewhere... I'll check this evening and upload them if I find them :)

Parag

Registered
Apologies! In the years since this post I've not only dumped Dropbox, but also completely changed computers (and OSes). I believe I still have the file somewhere... I'll check this evening and upload them if I find them :)
I too look forward for the link..

ericssan

Registered
Yes please. I’m looking forward to your favourable reply :)

So, I know this post is old, but just curious, @chirmer , what computer and OS you changed to? Still using Trello?

devon.marie

Registered
Chirmer, JonathanWoodruff, TesTeq, TMac and Larstein:
Can someone please repost Chirmer's link for paper planner and picture of it in use (link provided here shows that file was deleted)?
I too look forward for the link..
Yes please. I’m looking forward to your favourable reply :)
Oh boy I'm super late on this one :p I think I may know where the file is, so when I'm home I'll check there. For now, I've found photos of the pages in use. This is what the layout looked like:

IMG_3116.JPG

I **think** I know where the file is, so I truly do promise that this time, tonight, I'll look and see. If it's not there, and you're still interested, it'll only take me maybe half an hour to recreate it. I can put blank spots where the hours are, too, in case 8-8 doesn't work for you :) Just let me know!

So, I know this post is old, but just curious, @chirmer , what computer and OS you changed to? Still using Trello?

I built myself a PC and regrettably changed to Windows ;) the new Apple chips in Macs unfortunately make the entire platform unusable for me, so I sadly had to leave the OS behind.

I do still use Trello, but I'll be honest... COVID hit and Trello fell apart at my workplace. We were completely closed for over a month last summer, and it was during that time that our Business Class ran out... and the auto-renew had been disabled at some point so we were reverted back to a free organization, had scores of boards closed that we had to re-open manually once we'd paid again... we've honestly still not gotten back to the adoption level we'd had at the time. When it really mattered, Trello wasn't there for us, unfortunately.