Projects in Perpetuity

ivanjay205

Registered
I have several projects that recur and happen on a regular basis in perpetuity. I know David's definition of a project is within 1 year. Well, while each single instance of these is within 1 year they repeat over and over again.... Just some examples are:

• Filing / Paying Quarterly S Corp Taxes
  • Filing / Paying Annual Taxes
  • Weekly Review
  • Startup/Shutdown Routines
  • Maintenance on something at the house
  • etc....
So are these best to be a single next action as a reminder (since they are not all date dependent meaning they dont need to go on calendar) and a checklist vs a recurring project? I get nervous with a checklist idea as some of them do not all happen concurrently. For example filing taxes involves many steps that take many days with pauses in between. Gather Tax Documents -> COmpile into a package for CPA -> Send to CPA -> Wait for CPA -> Review ->File/Pay (I shortened and simplified for this post but that is a very complex process as a business owner)

I use Nirvana as a tool but it is really tool agnostic. How does David recommend handling such items?

Oogiem

Registered
I have several projects that recur and happen on a regular basis in perpetuity.
I get nervous with a checklist idea as some of them do not all happen concurrently.
Not David and I don't know how he suggests handling them but of my current active 151 projects in my system 90 of them are of that recurring type. I still call them projects and I have them set up with next actions, including waiting for actions where necessary in my system. Since I'm using a text based task management system (Obsidian) I no longer have automatic sequential processing of project tasks. So it takes a bit more care in setting up the initial project, defining the steps and getting the recurrance rules correct. But now, almost a year into my conversion to Obsidian, I am comfortable with my new procedures. Working the next actions is still simple and easy.

Here's an example of my Obsidian template for a recurring project.

Code:
---
publish: false
aliases: [ ]
tags:
\- project/recurring
---
# Project Title
# Tasks
- [ ] #task First task

> [!NOTE]- Template Use
> Tasks that can't be done until the task is started go in this section. Add them after first task and make them task items when it comes up as a started project.  For things with dates add the dates as I get them.
# Template for this project

> [!NOTE]- Task History
> Set up sections for each year's instance of this task and when the items are done move them underneath the year when they got finished. Clean up at end of year if desired.
# YYYY Tasks Done

I created my weekly, monthly and quarterly projects using this template.

PS and here is an example of a template as it is in use. I use the Tasks plug-in in Obsidian

Code:
---
tags:
- project/recurring
- AOF/Farm_Mgmt
---
# Get the Irrigation System set up on Garvin Mesa
# Tasks
- [ ] #task Start the Get Garvin Irrigation Set Up Project #Context/Obsidian  every year  2024-03-15

- [ ] #task Set up gated pipe along top of Little House pasture #Context/OutsideWithHelp

> [!NOTE]- Template Use
> Tasks that can't be done until the task is started go in this section. Add them after first task and make them task items when it comes up as a started project.  For things with dates add the dates as I get them.

- [ ] Mow along top orchard for the gated pipe #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Mow along Little House pasture for gated pipe #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Set up gated pipe along top of orchard and far west pasture #Context/OutsideWithHelp
- [ ] Set up gated pipe along top of Little House pasture #Context/OutsideWithHelp
- [ ] Check all the irrigation gates and figure out how many of each piece we need #Context/OutsideWithHelp
- [ ] Go buy any needed parts for the gated pipes at Bolinger and Queen #Context/DownTheHill
- [ ] Check the ditches from our box down for cow damage #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Clean top catch ditch  #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Clean Fire Mountain catch ditch #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Clean drinking water ditch #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Spray for weeds along gated pipe in top of orchard and far west pasture #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Spray for weeds along gated pipe in Little House pasture #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Get the White Pipe working #Context/OutsideWithHelp

> [!NOTE]- Task History
> Set up sections for each year's instance of this task and when the items are done move them underneath the year when they got finished. Clean up at end of year if desired.
# 2023 Tasks Done
- [x] #task Clean Fire Mountain catch ditch #Context/AgendaKen ✅ 2023-06-09
- [x] #task Get the White Pipe working #Context/OutsideWithHelp ✅ 2023-05-16
- [x] #task Check the ditches from our box down for cow damage #Context/AgendaKen ✅ 2023-05-16
- [x] #task Check the ditches from our box down for cow damage #Context/AgendaKen ✅ 2023-05-16
- [x] #task Mow along top orchard for the gated pipe #Context/AgendaKen ✅ 2023-04-23
- [x] #task Mow along Little House pasture for gated pipe #Context/AgendaKen ✅ 2023-04-23
- [x] #task Set up gated pipe along top of orchard and far west pasture #Context/OutsideWithHelp ✅ 2023-04-23
- [x] #task Start the Get Garvin Irrigation Set Up Project #Context/Obsidian  every year  2023-03-15 ✅ 2023-04-23

ivanjay205

Registered
Not David and I don't know how he suggests handling them but of my current active 151 projects in my system 90 of them are of that recurring type. I still call them projects and I have them set up with next actions, including waiting for actions where necessary in my system. Since I'm using a text based task management system (Obsidian) I no longer have automatic sequential processing of project tasks. So it takes a bit more care in setting up the initial project, defining the steps and getting the recurrance rules correct. But now, almost a year into my conversion to Obsidian, I am comfortable with my new procedures. Working the next actions is still simple and easy.

Here's an example of my Obsidian template for a recurring project.

Code:
---
tags:
\- project/recurring
---
# Project Title
# Tasks
- [ ] #task First task

> [!NOTE]- Template Use

> [!NOTE]- Task History
# YYYY Tasks Done

I created my weekly, monthly and quarterly projects using this template.

PS and here is an example of a template as it is in use. I use the Tasks plug-in in Obsidian

Code:
---
tags:
- project/recurring
- AOF/Farm_Mgmt
---
# Get the Irrigation System set up on Garvin Mesa
# Tasks
- [ ] #task Start the Get Garvin Irrigation Set Up Project #Context/Obsidian  every year  2024-03-15

- [ ] #task Set up gated pipe along top of Little House pasture #Context/OutsideWithHelp

> [!NOTE]- Template Use

- [ ] Mow along top orchard for the gated pipe #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Mow along Little House pasture for gated pipe #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Set up gated pipe along top of orchard and far west pasture #Context/OutsideWithHelp
- [ ] Set up gated pipe along top of Little House pasture #Context/OutsideWithHelp
- [ ] Check all the irrigation gates and figure out how many of each piece we need #Context/OutsideWithHelp
- [ ] Go buy any needed parts for the gated pipes at Bolinger and Queen #Context/DownTheHill
- [ ] Check the ditches from our box down for cow damage #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Clean top catch ditch  #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Clean Fire Mountain catch ditch #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Clean drinking water ditch #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Spray for weeds along gated pipe in top of orchard and far west pasture #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Spray for weeds along gated pipe in Little House pasture #Context/AgendaKen
- [ ] Get the White Pipe working #Context/OutsideWithHelp

> [!NOTE]- Task History
# 2023 Tasks Done
- [x] #task Clean Fire Mountain catch ditch #Context/AgendaKen ✅ 2023-06-09
- [x] #task Get the White Pipe working #Context/OutsideWithHelp ✅ 2023-05-16
- [x] #task Mow along top orchard for the gated pipe #Context/AgendaKen ✅ 2023-04-23
- [x] #task Mow along Little House pasture for gated pipe #Context/AgendaKen ✅ 2023-04-23
- [x] #task Set up gated pipe along top of orchard and far west pasture #Context/OutsideWithHelp ✅ 2023-04-23
- [x] #task Start the Get Garvin Irrigation Set Up Project #Context/Obsidian  every year  2023-03-15 ✅ 2023-04-23
Thanks it sounds like this is kind of inline (although from the look I am glad I am not in Obsidian as that looks complicated lol). But I think whether or not David is in this camp the recurring projects for simplicity make a lot of sense to me.

mcogilvie

Registered
One way to think about this is to realize that most of this stuff is project support: notes your future self and possible future next actions. Project support can take many forms, and depends on personal preference as well as the list tool you use. I’ve used templates, recurring projects and checklists for various purposes, and no GTD police have arrived at my doorstep yet.

bishblaize

Registered
im not quite clear what you're asking, since I would only consider the first two as definite projects. Weekly review I treat as an appointment and Startup/Shutdown routines sounds like a checklist. Maintenance could be a project, or it could be something that lives on a checklist, depends on the specifics. ("Check drains" would live on a checklist, "Clear blocked drains" would be a project imo).

If you're asking how to remind yourself specifically about projects that will arise in the future, I don't think there's much specific in the GTD material I can recall because its context-dependent. There are lots of ways to do that and what's best will depend on the situation.

In my personal life, if I need to remember to, say, order my Christmas meat but its only June now, then I put a quick reminder in my calendar in November called "New Project - Order meat for Christmas". Then it pops up when needed. But my company has an entire Company Timetable with every key date for the entire year and we track it in our monthly meetings and board meetings, since we have a handful of key dates every month.

ivanjay205

Registered
One way to think about this is to realize that most of this stuff is project support: notes your future self and possible future next actions. Project support can take many forms, and depends on personal preference as well as the list tool you use. I’ve used templates, recurring projects and checklists for various purposes, and no GTD police have arrived at my doorstep yet.
lol I am in trouble when the GTD police show up. But I will say I think all of this in my NA list has made my weekly review quite cumbersome. There is just A LOT in there. Part of why I am exploring stripping it down.