Question about projects and next actions

Barb

Registered
But...

You should only list next actions for a project that are completely independent of other actions. In other words, if you have a call to make, an errand to run, something to do at the computer all related to a project, that's all ok to put on the various action lists. But if you can't do the work at the computer until you make the call, only the call should go on the "Calls" action list.

That isn't to say you can't plan out a project step-by-step. Keep those plans in "project support" though, and only put those things on your action lists you can actually DO--independent of any other tasks.

You can just put one next physical action down for a project, and then you'd add the next physical action as you complete it. But you may miss some opportunities while working in a context to move the project along. I don't think the GTD police will arrest you, however.

Make sense? I like to keep my action lists rather lean, otherwise I get overwhelmed. I usually have 2-3 actions per project going at any one time. If I had 20-30 (or 99 projects for that matter!), I'd blow a gasket.

sdann

Registered
It really does depend on the project and how you work best. Most projects only need 1 next action you can use as a bookmark. NAs as bookmarks work great if you are in a position to delve further into a project you need to. However, you may not always be in that position.

Some standard projects only need one NA to be identified at a time. More complex projects may need to have more identified in advance, so that more independent NAs can be put on your context lists. So much depends on your comfort level with your context lists and your projects.

Pablo

Registered
An Aha moment

tjhoo;67125 said:
I use MS Outlook. Had made a separate tasks folder for Projects, but then seemed to be more work keeping that and next actions list compared to the following:

-separate column called "projects" that is placed just to the left of the "subject" column
-subject column includes multiple next actions in the project eg:

project=buy new bike for wife
next action= research on internet//talk to local bike shop//talk to friends//buy bike

This method:
-keeps next actions for a project all grouped together.
-allows projects and next actions to be seen on the same screen
-automatically keep next actions organized in proper order

If a project is too complicated for this system, then maybe it is actually more than one project :)

Streamlined my Outlook GTD System.
This makes it easier to keep track of project / next action relationships.

I open a new task in outlook and name it.
In the notes field I put my next actions, 1 per line followed by a period.
In the Categories (Contexts) I select *Projects, Appropriate @Context selection for next action.

Example.

Subject (Project) Storeroom Retail

Notes (Next Actions)
05/22/2009 Clear floor of supplies.
05/25/2009 Organize Fed Ex mailing supplies.
05/25/2009 Organize International Express supplies.
05/26/2009 Organize Express Mail supplies.
05/26/2009 Organize International Priority supplies.
06/04/2009 Organize Priority supplies.
06/05/2009 Organize Passport forms.
06/05/2009 Organize Readypost boxes.
06/10/2009 Organize Readypost supplies.
06/12/2009 Organize forms.
Organize seasonal Readypost boxes & envelopes.

Categories (Contexts) *Projects, @Work
I check [X] *Projects and also check [X] the appropriate context @Work.

All of these contexts for this project were @Work. If one of my next actions required me to purchase an item, I would have switched the @Work to @Shopping. I mark next actions as done by adding the date before the next action when I have finished completing it.

Just started using this method yesterday. Saves time & keeps projects & next actions linked.

Pablo

Angelique

Registered
I see people going back and forth about whether or not to have multiple actions or not.

For one, I do agree with an earlier post stating that nothing in GTD is technically 'wrong' as long as it truly works for you and you are "GTD 'Mind Like Water' Productive".

Secondly, It's important to sit down and think about your desired outcome and all of, or at least a good general overview, of actions for a given project before starting on it . While yes, it's important to only state the next viable action, it's also important not to have to rethink about an entire project after each and every next action is completed.

As long as your system allows for the organization of these projects, project support actions and next actions, whether in a sequential or parallel format, you should be good to go.

Foxman

Registered
After 5 years of GTD the secret to next action project planning is simply spending a couple of seconds visualizing yourself doing what ever you think is next todo. This steps points out any holes in your thinking and immeadately gives you the real next action if you've jumped a step or two. If you were like myself where I would write down an NA that would end up on a list not getting done, this is the answer - try it.

As for point about putting more than one project next action on the list... I really don't think your doing Gtd if you don't. The whole point of the approach is to get as much done effectively as possible so by not putting these independate actions down your losing a ton of horsepower.