Reference vs Someday/Maybe

Speedboat

Registered
I was searching for old threads about strategies (or rules) in order to decide and separate reference vs someday/maybe but not able to turn up any results on this topic.

Sometimes I find myself struggling with things like advice and recommendations etc. since they can go either way and by the vary same reason become confusing over time.

Therefore I'm now trying to set up some principles and rules to stick to and would like to hear how you approach this?

Oogiem

Registered
I file them all in the same filing system so I don't have to worry about it. Sometimes reference becomes the kernel of a someday/maybe project and sometimes Someday/Maybe just hangs around for years as potential reference/possible project. As long as I can find it when I need it, can decide to work on or not work on it it doesn't really matter.

treelike

Registered
I was searching for old threads about strategies (or rules) in order to decide and separate reference vs someday/maybe but not able to turn up any results on this topic.

Sometimes I find myself struggling with things like advice and recommendations etc. since they can go either way and by the vary same reason become confusing over time.

Therefore I'm now trying to set up some principles and rules to stick to and would like to hear how you approach this?

The thing to remember is that SDMB needs reviewed frequently but reference material does not. Therefore you want to make the SDMB list as short and quick to read as possible in order to sustain the motivation required for you to actually review it.

The important thing about reference material is that you can find it where you've put it.

Speedboat

Registered
You are right!

In order for me not only to keep my someday-list form being 2 miles long, but also be able to find stuff when you need them I started to treat this a two separate lists.

Perhaps this is cognitive (for me) but why I always has had so much difficulties with this particular part.For me there is a huge difference between a "Someday" and a "Maybe" so after having started to use one Someday list and one Maybe list things started to run much smoother.

A "Someday" is something that I´m committed to actually do someday in the future but not able to by some reason yet. Basically something is missing, like time, energy, resources or other, but if all of those where resolved every item is something I would gladly would like to have done all tomorrow.

The "Maybe" list however (for me) are all the other things that for some reason occupies my mind but I'm not really are committed to do or even perhaps would like to do, but may have to anyway or probably will have to change my need mind about somewhere soon.

Apologies perhaps for the example, but to make my point. - "Divorcing without going bankrupt” could go into the Someday-list if I would like to divorce, but don’t have courage to do so unless first meeting someone new, and into my Maybe-list if I worry my partner is having someone new and therefore may want divorce.

By regularly reviewing both lists and move things between them I feel much more able transfer and connect reference material to both incoming stuff as well as as projects and goals without getting stuck by not knowing exactly ”why" something caught my attention of felt worth keeping.

treelike

Registered
Apologies perhaps for the example, but to make my point. - "Divorcing without going bankrupt” could go into the Someday-list if I would like to divorce, but don’t have courage to do so unless first meeting someone new, and into my Maybe-list if I worry my partner is having someone new and therefore may want divorce.
That particular example would, for me, indicate an active project with an outcome of resolution of any doubt, sooner rather than later. But I understand what you are saying and have heard of others separating the someday and maybe items as it seems to work better for them.

Personally I just keep a SDMB list. The purpose of the SDMB list is to help manage a brain which is constantly looking for opportunity in a world of almost infinite possibilities. Without the list, the brain will spend an inappropriate amount of time thinking about stuff that "might" happen "someday". As long as it can trust me to spend half an hour to an hour or so reviewing this list of stuff every week (OK... at least every month) then it will be happy for me to park these items in that list and let me get on with the stuff right in front of me that needs done.

J

Jimhardie74

Apply some of the ideas here and just keep using your own judgement. But I really struggled with this one too. The best thing to do is to sort things as best you can now and then leave them alone and only review them on a weekly review.. Since reference and someday maybe are both non-actionable items it shouldn't matter if you go a week without looking at them.

As you look at them each week during a weekly review you will develop more distinctions in your mind about what they mean to you and how they should best be organised.

I suggest only looking at them during a weekly review because looking at them any more than that will lead you to over think it, like you are now--which is cool because you want to learn GTD correctly. But its really not that important a distinction... if you relax about it and just keep using your system as best you can, you will inevitably figure out something that works for you!

GTD is a lifelong practice, how you think about all of these aspects of the workflow diagram (someday maybe, projects etc) and how you think about all the horizons of focus (goals, visions etc) will all grow and mature with time. Dont get too hung up on any small distinctions like this because they will sort themselves out over time :) Just keep GTD'ing!

severance1970

Registered
A "Someday" is something that I´m committed to actually do someday in the future but not able to by some reason yet. Basically something is missing, like time, energy, resources or other, but if all of those where resolved every item is something I would gladly would like to have done all tomorrow.

The "Maybe" list however (for me) are all the other things that for some reason occupies my mind but I'm not really are committed to do or even perhaps would like to do, but may have to anyway or probably will have to change my need mind about somewhere soon.
I'm with Oogiem: "As long as I can find it when I need it, can decide to work on or not work on it it doesn't really matter." When in doubt, archive the item somewhere as reference, where you can easily retrieve it if it reclaims your attention. Otherwise it might just be on your mind week after week because you're reviewing it weekly.

This specific example suggests that one area of focus is out of alignment, and needs some type of intervention. Divorce is one possible intervention, but would putting that on a list and reviewing it each week move the focus area from being unmanaged (and therefore preoccupying) to being appropriately managed? For me, that would be facile list management taking priority over diligent life management. Perhaps a "Get marriage unstuck" project is in order. The next action could be a journaling session, researching counselors, reading a book, having a hard conversation, or some other alternative that breaks the inertia.

John Lennon used to say, "Whatever gets you through the night." I like to say, "Whatever gets it off your mind."

bcmyers2112

Registered
I agree with @Gameboy70. If there's something you should be dealing with now (and I'd say a troubled marriage is something that needs attention now, not later), putting it on your Someday/Maybe list won't help you get it off your mind. Quite the opposite: it'll remind you there's something you're avoiding but shouldn't be, which would undermine your confidence in your system and more important, yourself.