Setting up palm

A

Anonymous

I am new to this group, just finished listening to 8 CD set and looking for a place to start. I am presently using palm and interested in tips for setting up "to do" and "memo" categories for lists.

Appreciate and tips and/or tricks. Look forward to being a part of this discussion group.

thanks!

MTF

T

taxgeek

Welcome, MTF!

My best advice for setting up your categories, espeically in your lists, is to keep it simple at first and then branch out from there. I at first got so excited that, in addition to the basic @waitingfor, @home, @internet, etc, I also added a whole bunch of other "creative" lists that it turned out I always forgot to look at. But do customize to your own needs. For example, the way I work, it just doesn't make sense to have separate @phone, @computer and @work lists -- they are all lumped into @work.

I think most people on here have each next action as an item on a todolist. That item also has a note attached (in which you can store whatever data you want about that item), and has a category. The categories become the identifier of which list the item is on. You can sort the items by category to view any one of your different lists (or all list items together). It is also easy to switch a next action from something you need to do "Call Sally re movie time" to a @waiting for item by just changing the category to @waiting for, you don't even need to change the title of the action.

Another idea you may want to consider is for project based next actions, somehow inserting the project name in the title of the list item. For example: "XMAS PARTY: make list of guests". This is useful for a couple reasons. As you will shortly find out, Palm won't let you assign two different categories to a project. The result is that you can't sort by project without extra software. So you can't click a button and have your palm show you all the things going on for the xmas party (make list of guests, internet research re recipe, waiting for harpist to call back, etc). But, having put "XMAS PARTY" in the header for every action related to that project, you can hit your little "search" icon, type in XMAS PARTY, and they will all show up in your search window. I use all caps for the project name, then regular font for the NA for that project. There can be many NAs for a particular project, and they all bounce around between the different lists independently, but they all have the project name in the title. I think others on this forum do something of the sort also. This has been my best productivity enhancer. It is good for instant retreival too - if my boss walks in and says "What's the status of Client X's transaction?" I just type in Client X in the search window and can go quickly to the todo items related to him without having to scan through the different lists manually. This made a big impact recently at a department meeting - one of the partners said "Wow, how did all that information get IN there?" ;)

I'm going to start another post re memos categories asking people to tell what their categories and interesting memos are, I think there will be alot of creative things popping up.

Again, welcome, and enjoy using GTD on your palm!

J

Jason Womack

The "thin" line...

As a Workflow Coach, I'm always working with clients on a thin line between supporting more detailed "techie" kinds of conversations and questions, and maintaining the focus on the simple but powerful concepts that don't require that kind of granularity to implement successfully.

There are already several postings about discrete software add-on's to the Palm, Outlook, etc. which is fine for the folks who are already deep into those tools, but which might be irrelevant to many of you. In fact, from our experience with lots of people, you can very easily get much too wrapped up in trying to make every detail fit and connect in all the ways you'd like it to. Systems must work when you have the flu, which means easy, simple, straightforward, without having to think too much or work too hard about fitting within a structure. Plain flat lists, tied together in a Weekly Review to keep them current, usually wins the day.

This is a definate "form follows function" system. As you process your in-basket, the next actions you decide will mandate what lists you set up, and how you access those lists.