Shopping list or SM?

aletheamartinez

Registered
I would like to buy a box to keep my watches. This wish is not connected to any project, just a wish. Right now it sits on my someday-maybe. Is it the right place for this reminder? Maybe I should put it on @Errands list? Or shopping list? Where's the distinction????

mcogilvie

Registered
Do you know what you want? Do you know where to find it? Are you prepared to pay what it costs? If the answer to all three questions is yes, then you can put it on your @web or @errand list as “Buy box for watches.” Otherwise, you have some other steps to take first. If you want to act now, the first step(s) go on your next action lists. If not now, then it’s probably someday/ maybe. Of course, you could instead ask for it as a birthday present or defer to some other specific, later date. It’s up to you.

dtj

Registered
I have a 'ToBuy' context under home, to hold my aspirational things to buy. I actually have it broken down further with like 'tech', 'home', etc., because theres a lot of things on the list. Every once in a while I get ruthless for the list and prune it severely.

Gardener

Registered
I would like to buy a box to keep my watches. This wish is not connected to any project, just a wish. Right now it sits on my someday-maybe. Is it the right place for this reminder? Maybe I should put it on @Errands list? Or shopping list? Where's the distinction????
I have twenty-four Someday/Maybe lists. One of them is called "Shopping - Theoretical". That's where I'd put this.

mksilk2

Registered
Would you be willing to share some of the names / types of your 24 lists for someday/maybe? Just to share ideas of how to classify information

Gardener

Registered
Would you be willing to share some of the names / types of your 24 lists for someday/maybe? Just to share ideas of how to classify information

Sure! Turns out there are only 22--two of them were logs (past tasks) rather than someday/maybe (future possible tasks). "Reference things" sounds like it's just, well, reference, but it's mostly places I've heard about that I want to go to.

And this is my personal system, which is, perhaps counter-intuitively, much more complex than my work system.

Food Ideas
Recipes
Work Ideas
Travel Ideas
Sewing Ideas
Declutter Ideas
Household ideas
Farm Ideas
Other Ideas
Thoughts for the Novel
Computer Thoughts
Movies and TV
Books
Other Media
Shopping - Theoretical
META Tasks
Reference Things
Gifts
Electronics Tasks
Possible Farm Plants
Home Garden Brainstorming
Paperwork Thoughts

Wilson Ng

Registered
I've kept mine to:

Big Boy Toys to lust for ( ask wife for permission - new binoculars, Drone, Harley Davidson, Lamborghini )
Office Ideas (potential work projects that haven't been fleshed out. Just a single line describing a desire outcome)
House Ideas (future ideas to renovate the house - new back porch, redesigned home office, revamped kitchen)
Movies/TV shows to watch
Books/eBooks to read
Blog post ideas to write
Family ideas (a single line describing an idea one of the kids or wife has conjured up - Trip to Paris)
GTD ideas to ponder (perhaps look at something to try out like Agile, Scrum, time blocking)
Restaurants to try out

Oogiem

Registered
Right now it sits on my someday-maybe. Is it the right place for this reminder?
It would be for me. Like @Gardener I have a lot of different someday/maybe lists. I review them all quarterly. Here are some of mine. I only split them out into separate lists once they get too big in one category and I have enough that are similar tosplit them out. Like the books ones all started out as one big huge books to read list. It's taken me 15+ years to get them this detailed and extensive.

Restaurants_To_Try
Wines_to_Try
Foods_To_Make
Radio_Shows_To_Listen_To
DVDs_To_Watch
TV_Shows_To_Watch
Movies_To_Watch

Computer_and_Web_Projects_To_Do
LambTracker_AnimalTrakker_Projects_To_Do
AnimalTrakker_Desktop_Videos_To_Make

Personal_Projects_To_Do
Things_To_Learn
MacSparky_Field_Guides_to_Watch
Mike_Schmitz_classes_to_watch
Ask_Dr_Love_teach_classes
Emergency_Prep_Projects_To_Do
Food_Projects_To_Do
Bucket_List_Projects_To_Do

Main_House_Outside_Projects_To_Do
Main_House_Inside_Projects_To_Do
Little_House_Projects_To_Do
Shop_Building_Projects_To_Do

Farm_Projects_To_Do
General_Videos_Needed_Farm
Red_Barn_Projects_To_Do
Hay Barn_Projects_To_Do
Pasture_and_Orchard_Projects_to_Do
Back_Cedars_Pasture_Projects_To_Do

Mini-X_Projects_to_Do

Juniper_Gulch_Projects_to_Do
Juniper_Gulch_House_Projects_To_Do

ABWMSA_Projects_To_Do
Community_Projects_To_Do
Historical_Society_Projects_To_Do
TDRC_Projects_To_Do

General_Writing_Projects
Blog_Posts_To_Write
Sheep_Newsletter_Articles_To_Write
Food_Articles_to_Write
Household_Inventory_Stories_To_Write
Song_Parody_Lyrics_To_Write
Environmental_Essays_To_Write
Farming_Essays_To_Write
NaNo_Novels_To_Write

ML_Ryder_research_articles_to_locate

Books_To_Read-General
Books_To_Read-Mixed
Books_To_Read-Fitness
Books_To_Read_Science_Fiction
Books_To_Read-Travel
Books_To_Read_Thriller
Books_To_Read_Thriller_LT_Ryan
Books_To_Read_Mystery_JA_Konrath
Books_To_Read_Mystery

Spinning_Projects_To_Do
Knitting_Projects_To_Do
Weaving_Projects_To_Do
Sewing_Projects_To_Do
Quilting_Projects_To_Do
T-Shirt_Design_Projects_To_Do
Photography_Projects_To_Do
Video_Projects_To_Do
Art_Projects_To_Do
Cartoons_To_Draw
Craftsy_Classes_To-Take
Scrapbook_Classes_To_Take
Scrapbook_Projects_To_Do
Scrapbook_LOM_Style_Projects_To_Do
Geneaology_Projects_To_Do

Travel_Ideas_General
Travel_Ideas_Local
Travel_Ideas_Colorado
Travel_Ideas_Crested_Butte
Travel_Ideas_Foreign
Travel_Ideas_Cruises
Travel_Ideas_US

HiTekk JD

Registered
Every active project has a couple of inherent characteristics. First, you are interested in doing the project and see value in doing it. You are motivated. Second you have resources to act on the project. If either are missing, it can't move forward. So, I use these characteristics to decide what list to park ideas on.

I keep what I call 'Idea Banks.' An Idea Bank is a list where I put ideas until they gain interest or value. I have several different topics from Reading Idea Bank, Gift Idea Bank, etc. These are in my reference section of Nirvana which is my current list management app.

My Someday/Maybe is what I call my IF...Then list. Stuff on Someday maybe I am already interested in doing and I think they would have value, which is why they are not in the Idea Bank. But, I don't have resources to act on the project such as time, money, parts, tools, etc. So everything on the If...Then list has a prefix for what is missing like t-time $-money. So when I speed read my If...then list I ask myself 'If I have {time} then do this? If I have {money} then do this? If I hit a yes, I know it can move to active, if no it can continue to wait. If I am not sure I would do something even with expected resources, then it moves to an Idea Bank.

AndrewGM1

Registered
I might leave it on Someday/Maybe, perhaps tagged with @web or @errands or some specific store, till I was ready to start looking into it. During weekly or regular review, I would see it on my S/M list, and when ready to work on it, I might turn it into an active project, like Watch Box Bought. First task on the list might be, Decide what kind of box to buy (size, material, budget). Second task might be, Search Amazon or online watch stores for box. Then Compare box short list and buy.

dtj

Registered
Or is it part of some broader project, like 'Organize My Life'. I would only add it to @Errands if you have a real certain notion of the box, and getting it is just the act of buying it, as opposed to like doing the shopping around and comparing the relative merits of various boxes available, from multiple vendors. Items on my 'Home:To_Buy' project are just things that I may want to get some day, and would be transferred to a more tactical errands list when I actually want to get it.

gtdstudente

Registered
aletheamartinez,

Area of Focus: UTILITY [TOOLS] > Particular Focus: PROPS . . . Project: "Watch Box" Outcome [Future Effects/Means]:
What's
currently missing [required] in order to have a new "Watch Box" that suits all of my interest/needs sitting/placed on my 'matching bureau' [satisfactorily available in Stores/Online or will it be necessary to sufficiently learn Metal/Fabric/Wood Working . . . {Maybe/Someday: Watch Box Enterprises}] = Next Action [Current Causes/Means]

Ps. If interested, all colors mean
GTD something on this end for five Focuses (Area > Particular):
Divine > Understanding / Knowledge / Ideas/ Wisdom
Persons > Healthy Actions
Persons > Dangerous [Toxic/Unhealthy] People / Obstacles
Utility[Tools/Decorations] > Props (Things that serve longer than a year with an optimal state of being: 'Clean', 'Empty', 'Frictionless,' etc.)
Fiscal/Time > Provisions (Things that serve less than a year with an optimal state of being: 'Clear', 'Fresh', 'Full,' etc.)

As such, their meanings on this end correspond namely with the Transcendentals: Beauty, Truth, and Goodness and their corresponding Cardinal/Theological Virtues:
Prudence [Faith] Making 'Best' Action for/through Truth [better smaller for good caution/productivity/safety: more readily correct/fix/recover from acting on objectively Truth 'mistakes'?]
Justice [Charity] - Clarity/Proportionality/Completeness for outcome Beauty
Fortitude [Hope] - 'F I L L' through Projects that Overcome-Defects/Fills-Voids for outcome Justice/Beauty
Temperance [Charity] - 'E M P T Y' through Projects that Remove-Excesses for outcome Justice/Beauty

Fits well with what GTD Coach/Expert, Kelly Forrister is asking the GTD question: "What do you want more of . . . what do you want less of. . . ."?

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
As such, the above "Watch Box" example as might now be a self-evident Project resolved through Fortitude [Hope] while not only bringing the "Watch Box" into proximate existence and also improving the person's being in bringing the "Watch Box" into proximate existence who would now embody/posses a higher degree of Fortitude and Justice by bringing "Watch Box" into proximate existence presuming all was done without harm to self or others. Good Habits = Virtue while Bad Habits (some always and some through 'Good' excesses) = Vice

Pps. To extend due credit: in addition to all of David Allen's authored books and generously good writings, the above has also been gratefully informed, David Allen's Forward, WORK AROUNDS THAT WORK by Russell Bishop, along with the underlying foundations of Aristotle and Aquinas. My thanks and appreciation to all of them.

Ppps. Admittedly, the Gold, even in bold and multi-colors makes it difficult more to read was done so it the hopes that 'meaning' is more promptly expressed and as such; hopefully additionally difficulty is justified.
Also, apologetically, the above remains subject to further editing especially inconsistencies identified by anyone. Thank you

Last edited: