Software for document conversion

SteSut

Registered
I am in search for a software that I can use for converting all the documents in my office to e-files. The papers are mainly related to accounting and tax returns so they have to be kept safe. Also I feel that e-files would be easier to manage than ordinary papers. So if anyone has some good suggestions for a document storage and retrieval software please share them. Thanks in advance.

Oogiem

Registered
There are 2 parts to this, scanning and then organizing your files.

For scanning I suggest a ScanSnap scanner and store things as either DF or searchable PDF files at decent resolution. I have an older model S510M but any of the new ones will be fine. Advnatages are scanning both sides, good speed and decent accuract. The text recognition is still poor but usually good enough to get you close to the right document.

For retrieval it starts with how you name your files. My suggestion is first use names with characters that are valid for all 3 major desktop operating systems. For dated files it's really handy to have them sorted for you automatically so I name most of my files --_. Note that the formula does not include any spaces.

The second part of my personal retrieval system is how I store the files. I have 2 "File_Cabinets" on my computer. They are just folders. One is an open one for ordinary files. Within it are folders for each topic and the files are in those folders. In effect I mimic a paper filing cabinet. The second one is the same structure but is an encrypted folder for private files.

The last part of retrieval is an index. I use DEVONThink for my index and leave the files in place and just use it as a super searching system.

You will have to adapt the software you use for each section of filing to fit whatever operating system you use.

Lastly think about archival issues. Whenever you change the revisions of your major software, or operating system or if you change computer platforms entirely you must budget time to upgrade all your archive files to the newest formats. Don't risk orphaning your files in the digital equivalent of storage on 8 in floppy disks. Plan for how to move the files and formats through time now or you'll regret it later.