Sync Android tasks with Outlook

lzaretsky

Registered
Hi all! I've seen a number of threads here on GTD apps for Android phones, but I'm looking for software that is solid on syncing to/from Outlook 2010 to Android. Specifically around tasks. I have a good GTD setup on Outlook, and web-based solutions are not allowed at work.

Bottom line: Has anyone seen a decent sync application between Outlook 2010 and Android phones (v2.2) that supports Tasks with the Outlook content (categories, etc.)?

Thanks,
Lee

radioman

Registered
Please note that I have *NOT* tried the following software, but I have spent some time doing research, as I plan to get an Android smart-phone soon and want to sync it to Outlook on my laptop (as opposed to "the cloud").

Take a look at CompanionLink. I'm not sure that providing a link is allowed here, so just Google it; you can't miss it. It works with a free Android app called DejaOffice.

Joe

lzaretsky

Registered
Syncing Android to Outlook

Thanks for the feedback. That is a name that I've seen a few times in looking at reviews. I am also looking at getting a first-time Android phone, after years of MSFT and Blackberry OS based smartphones.

Lee

please keep us informed how it goes

I still use my Palm phone and have similar set up as yours but I will soon be faced with choosing a new phone. Android + Companion link looks good in theory, I'd love to hear your real life experience should you choose this route.

I am curious -- why not stay with Blackberry?

thank you and good luck --

ellobogrande

Registered
I was just researching this for my wife recently. One popular 3rd party application to sync an Android phone to Google Tasks is gTasks. A Google search led me to a site that had a good comparison chart of features. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything that stands out as a clear winner for task synchronization. Until there is a reliable synchronization mechanism for tasks to either Outlook or Google Tasks, Android is not an option for a GTD system for me.

I did hear some scuttlebutt on Google that Google Task sync is a priority for Google's development team this year. So, if we just wait, there might be a native solution.

There is a Google Calendar application that syncs Outlook and Google Calendar. I'm in the process of evaluating it and so far it seems reliable. Unfortunately, it doesn't do Tasks.

albanyguy

Registered
I have used companionlink successfully with dejaoffice

There are a few details to make sure are set up correctly, or else you might duplicate your task list (like I did).

So you have to download dejaoffice from android market and then buy companionlink for $40.
it's well worth it.

Branestawm

Registered
Is Google documents something that might be useful to you guys? I just checked my Google Docs on my phone and they seemed to come up fine. I find my Android phone to be brilliant for taking notes when out and about and for getting reminders from Google Calendar, not to mention checking Gmail.

I am yet to learn the beauty of GTD tasks.

jmagsho

Registered
Touchdown

I've been using Touchdown from Nitrodesk since moving from a WM phone to an HTC Incredible Android phone last summer. If you're looking for something that will sync with Outlook and pull your categories this is pretty much it. I looked at Companion Link and didn't like the interface.

Touchdown will replace your views for corporate email, tasks, calendar, etc. It's far from being a killer GTD app, but it gets the job done. The best GTD app for Android that I tried was Shuffle, but I ended up abandoning it because I'm just too tied to Outlook and needed the task sync feature that Touchdown has.

tjhoo

Registered
jmagsho;86561 said:
I've been using Touchdown from Nitrodesk since moving from a WM phone to an HTC Incredible Android phone last summer. If you're looking for something that will sync with Outlook and pull your categories this is pretty much it. I looked at Companion Link and didn't like the interface.

Touchdown will replace your views for corporate email, tasks, calendar, etc. It's far from being a killer GTD app, but it gets the job done. The best GTD app for Android that I tried was Shuffle, but I ended up abandoning it because I'm just too tied to Outlook and needed the task sync feature that Touchdown has.

How well does Touchdown work with multiple calendars (calendars in different folders in Outlook)?

jmagsho

Registered
tjhoo;86667 said:
How well does Touchdown work with multiple calendars (calendars in different folders in Outlook)?

I haven't personally tried syncing multiple calendars, but I do sync quite a few mail folders.

clango

Registered
Outlook, Toodledo, Android

Me too I started with the GTD set-up on Outlook. Then as I saw it not so fast in managing my tasks, I started to appreciate web solutions like Toodledo. More quick and easily integrated with outlook as you can send to yourself mails that will become tasks in Toodledo. If today, I'd forced not to use a web GTD system I'd consider first to use my personal internet key or alternatively to use my Android device where I have all my tasks sync with Toodledo, thanks today to Ultimate To Do list.

Let's take in consideration therefore that toodledo can sync with outlook. I used at the beginning Chromatic dragon but today there is one more you can find here:
toodledo&outlook sync

clango

Registered
BenvenutoCellini;86447 said:
I still use my Palm phone and have similar set up as yours but I will soon be faced with choosing a new phone. Android + Companion link looks good in theory, I'd love to hear your real life experience should you choose this route.

I am curious -- why not stay with Blackberry?

thank you and good luck --

I never used a blackberry, even if I dreamed it before my Android device. So my thought is one side view.
However I think with a Android smartphone you have more for less and in a free system. With Android you have a qwerty keyboard, you can send, read see emails, with dolphin browser you can see attached files like the excel one, and you have all the other apps and benefits you can find