Things that can be done -- Anywhere!

A

Anonymous

Hi All --

As a new GTD user, I was hoping someone could help me with a question about where to file certain next actions. Take for example --

Fill out University Medical Forms

Now this is something that I can do at work or at home, or at a friends house, etc. The only constraint is that wherever I want to do it I need to bring those forms with me. So imagine I bring them to work and put the item in my At Work next actions list. Then I decide -- I'm too busy to do this at work, I should really bring these papers home and see if I do them there... Do I keep switching the location of the item between various Next Action lists?

Thanks for your help!

Emily

M

mbacas

Re: Things that can be done -- Anywhere!

Welcome.

In my system I have an @Anywhere context list for things like this. I keep things I want to read and forms I need to fill out in it.

- Mark

Emily said:
Hi All --

As a new GTD user, I was hoping someone could help me with a question about where to file certain next actions. Take for example --

Now this is something that I can do at work or at home, or at a friends house, etc. The only constraint is that wherever I want to do it I need to bring those forms with me. So imagine I bring them to work and put the item in my At Work next actions list. Then I decide -- I'm too busy to do this at work, I should really bring these papers home and see if I do them there... Do I keep switching the location of the item between various Next Action lists?

Thanks for your help!

Emily

M

Maurits

Re: Things that can be done -- Anywhere!

Emily said:
Hi All --

Now this is something that I can do at work or at home, or at a friends house, etc. The only constraint is that wherever I want to do it I need to bring those forms with me.

If you have a lot of these items, you are going to be carrying a lot of weight with you, especially if they don't get done.
I would say, pick one of two methods:
1. Pick a place to do it (I would say at home) and stick to that. Don't carry it around.
2. This seems like something that won't take much time to complete, so you could take it with you in an en-route folder or something and fill it in when you are waiting at a dentist or are travelling by bus.

Do ask yourself: can this really be done anywhere? Don't I need some info like e.g. the name and address of my doctor, which I only have at my house? If that is the case, then you can't do it anywhere after all :)

F

Frank Buck

To me, this sounds like a time when the physical object (a folder of material which is all actionable) could serve as the reminder. Throw it in the briefcase to take home. When you empty the briefcase at home, sit the folder on the corner of the desk and fill out the forms while you are watching TV. When you have filled out as many as you care to, throw it back in the briefcase.