Things vs Omnifocus....or any other software tool

Noel

Registered
Barb;100258 said:
I'm surprised to see anyone refer to Omnifocus as a "general purpose to-do app" when it so obviously was created by an expert GTD-er. I'm sure that's why it is one of only a few programs endorsed by the David Allen Co.

The point which I failed to communicate was that it seems to be currently designed it so that in addition to serving the GTD community, it is also be approachable to those not familiar with GTD.

And I'll leave it at that because I have an enormous amount of respect for the folks over at OmniGroup and what they make. I've used many of their products for years and they're really excellent.

North

Registered
Noel;100254 said:
Anyway, don't want to get banned by the forum gods for mentioning my product so I'll stop there. Just throwing my two cents out there cause it was asked.

I for one appreciate knowing about new (relevant) products and I believe in communication between developers and users in forums such as this. If anything some developers are too silent and non-interactive.

I'm not really looking for another GTD app right now though, but I'll keep an eye on Purpose from now on. (Still on Things, but I'll be switching to The Hit List, again, in the near future... probably.)

webmktco

Registered
I've tried, and tried, Omnifocus and I've come to the conclusion that it's not for me.

I loved Netcentrics for Outlook, but then I switched from Windows to Mac and my GTD has suffered.

My main beef with Omnifocus is that I want notifications for time sensitive tasks... and Omnifocus doesn't do that.

I need desktop notifications for really important things...

North

Registered
North;100272 said:
(Still on Things, but I'll be switching to The Hit List, again, in the near future... probably.)

Or not. Oh my, seems like I have switched in my mind again. I'm staying with Things. The Hit List is great, but I realized that the global tagging system is not ideal. If you put something in Someday/Maybe (which you have to create yourself, THL is more flexible in that way) and then look for a next action via tags, items in Someday/Maybe will show up too. Messy, but Things has local tags, so normally you search the tags related to next actions and then that's all you get.

I think this is my final decision for a long while. They're both great though and THL is somewhat more advanced and I can see some people preferring that, also THL is the underdog (popularity wise) and I really wanted to like it more but in the end it's more like a close second.

Todd V

Registered
TaskPaper - for simple task-management

I needed an iOS solution for interfacing with my own approach to getting things done on a mac. I finally settled on TaskPaper. I've found TaskPaper to be very effective for basic task-management on the iPhone / iPad. It's clean. It's simple. And there's less to tinker with. And it's formatting as a basic text file makes it easy to interface with other programs.

But it wasn't until I made two fundamental shifts that I was able to make the most of it on the iPhone:

#1: Individual Docs for Each Context
I originally began with one large Taskpaper document for my location contexts, but I discovered that making separate documents for each context is actually faster to use:

Online.taskpaper
Home.taskpaper
Work.taskpaper

You can tap a new document faster than you can type into a search box. (I like to keep taps and typing to a minimum).

#2: Individual Docs for Each Person
Another change was to create a separate document for each client I would meet with. The format for each of these documents would consist of the following:

Delegated to Me:
- task for me to complete
- another task John Doe asked me to complete
- a task I've delegated to myself to do for John Doe

Agendas:
- item 1 I need John Doe to do
- item 2 to delegate to John Doe next time I meet with him

Waiting For:
- Waiting for John Doe to get back to me on this
- Waiting for John Doe to return this item for me (sent email 6/1/12)

Archive:
- List of completed tasks.

Once I made those two changes, my productivity got a huge boost. I now have two folders. One for "CONTEXTS" and another for "PEOPLE" with each of these Taskpaper documents in them. Simple. Fast. Probably not for everybody. Some will need bigger and better functionality. But for basic, bread-and-butter task-management, TaskPaper does a pretty good job.

Why no Evernote in this thread?

This thread has been primarily Things vs Omnifocus. But no mention of Evernote. For synching on multiple platforms and locations it seems like Evernote would be a good option. I must have PC functionality which apparently rules out Omnifocus. Any Evernote devotees?

johnaohman

Registered
Evernote

TommyNashvilleTN;101657 said:
This thread has been primarily Things vs Omnifocus. But no mention of Evernote. For synching on multiple platforms and locations it seems like Evernote would be a good option. I must have PC functionality which apparently rules out Omnifocus. Any Evernote devotees?

There certainly are Evernote devotees here, and I'm one of them .. .. .. just not for GTD.

Evernote is, "out of the box" very unstructured with many, many available options. As such, you really have to plan and work at proper setup for any given individual's GTD needs. Certainly can be done and, indeed, there are a number of folks here who strongly advocate for that. Doing a forum search will certainly reveal more detailed discussions of this topic in other threads.

I, personally, find Evernote great for storage/retrieval of random and reference materials. However for task management/GTD, I find other tools that are designed more specifically to that end to be more effective for me.
(Toodledo online with sync to Ultimate To-Do List on my Android phone).

At the end of the day however, it's whatever works for your personal style and needs that's really important.

Evernote with other...

johnaohman;101659 said:
There certainly are Evernote devotees here, and I'm one of them .. .. .. just not for GTD.

Evernote is, "out of the box" very unstructured with many, many available options. As such, you really have to plan and work at proper setup for any given individual's GTD needs. Certainly can be done and, indeed, there are a number of folks here who strongly advocate for that. Doing a forum search will certainly reveal more detailed discussions of this topic in other threads.

I, personally, find Evernote great for storage/retrieval of random and reference materials. However for task management/GTD, I find other tools that are designed more specifically to that end to be more effective for me.
(Toodledo online with sync to Ultimate To-Do List on my Android phone).
At the end of the day however, it's whatever works for your personal style and needs that's really important.
Thx for your reply. Let me ask...
It seems you'd want some of your 'stuff' in Evernote to connect with something that needs to get DONE. Is that the case? Maybe if u have some more specific examples of waht u put into Evernote I'll get it better. And secondly...
You mention two apps and the need to sync. Over the years I've developed a strong bias against synching because of possible confusion with latest versions etc. So a solution that involves synching I would consider an unattractive workaround at best. Do u not have a way to make GTD work without two apps and synching?

Phidelt

Registered
Omnifocus for sure

They keep adding useful features like siri reminders and forecast view which is extremely useful. Omnifocus is more robust and can handle complex projects, things is just too rudimentary and minamalistic for people who like technology.

mcogilvie

Registered
Phidelt;103704 said:
They keep adding useful features like siri reminders and forecast view which is extremely useful. Omnifocus is more robust and can handle complex projects, things is just too rudimentary and minamalistic for people who like technology.

I have observed that there is a lot more material on the web on setting-up and/or tweaking omnifocus than things, yet they seem to have roughly the same popularity on the Apple app stores. This suggests (at least) two hypotheses: that omnifocus appeals to people who like to spend time tweaking it, and it requires more work to set up than Things. I think these are both true, and the preferences expressed in the most recent forum poll on list managers do not contradict this- it's a biased sample. I have gone back and forth between them several times, and they are more like each other than either is like any other program. I don't think either one is notably better than the other for gtd.

H@ns

Registered
I'm not an expert in GTD and associated tools. After reading the D Allen books and some research on the web I picked up things for iPhone and iPad. Using it for a few months the lack of structure in the project list (can become a long list to scroll through) made me look for something else. I then took OF (OS X, ipad, iphone) and saw a lot of use ins possibilities to tweak, structure projects and actions and the built in weekly review. After using that for some time I noticed I still used for logging actions, but most of the time fixing thes on a date, the complexities (probably my OF setup) made me look at my actions less frequently. So this week I returned to the simplicity of things. The daily review process brings more actions to my attention every morning. The tags can provide structure (still tweaking that). It just seems to be easier to use and gets used more and better for that.
One disadvantage for both is that the two of them are keeping me locked in Apples garden (while the android grass seems to become greener)

paulmcdonald

Registered
Pocket Informant

apastuszak;95099 said:
Has anyone looked at Pocket Informant. I bought it for my iPad and am quite happy with. I just wish it handled ticklers.

I've been using Pocket Informant for two years now. The pluses are that it does have some GTD functionality written into it. It also takes up one icon space on the iPhone/iPad, thus leaving more "real estate" to the screen. And it does sync pretty darned good with MS-Outlook if you get the add-on.

The downside is that I just can't seem to find anyone else who uses it. I know I'm missing features and benefits, but I don't know where to start.

The other downside is that (at least as far as I can tell) it doesn't interact well with Siri on the iPhone, so that means that the user interface is fumbly for me and my big fingers.

I don't have an iPad so I cannot respond to anything on that realm.

alsa

Registered
Still using Things (mostly on my iPad) after nearly 7 years and not even thinking of anything else since the app's direction and updates are very deliberate and clear in purpose.

I have recently become sort of a minimalist convert -- pairing down everything to essentials, and Things is still the cornerstone of all my efforts

shamonde

Registered
I structure by Omnifocus system by areas of focus with a folder for each one so in addition to the active projects for each AOF I also have folders in Omnifocus where I keep the Someday maybe items that are associated with that area of focus. I put those projects on hold. Waiting for is a separate context as I can have waiting fors all over my system.

hmmm

alsa

Registered
Well, I finally switched to ToDo from Microsoft a couple of years ago mostly due to the fact that I can simplify things on it and still have pretty much the same workflow I had on Things and also to the fact that I switched from iOS to Android about the same time

Ecb

Registered
Well, I finally switched to ToDo from Microsoft a couple of years ago mostly due to the fact that I can simplify things on it and still have pretty much the same workflow I had on Things and also to the fact that I switched from iOS to Android about the same time
I like the syncing with apple reminders on ToDo, so I’m free to change at any time.