Tickler file (45-file)...where to buy?

R

Robyn

I can't find one anywhere (I'm in Australia). People don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

I've heard Brian Tracy mention it on one of his audio tapes - he called it DESK FILE, by Mead Company. I've searched for this on the net, but have not found it. I'd like a good quality one that is practical and easy to use (don't we all...).

Help, anyone?!! Thanks :)

billjw

Registered
Tickler file

Hi Robyn

Perth here. We had the same dilemma but went for the "manual" version. "Manual" being buying a couple of lever arch files as well as monthly and daily dividers. From the look of Smeads that what it is (maybe I have missed something though).

We also went to the trouble of buying 43 manila folders and labelling each one and using a filing cabinet.

In the end it works well. I think I prefer the "manual" method because the construction makes it clearer in my mind so I value it more.

What I really can't understand is that I cannot find manila folders with 1/3 tabs. It's either 1/5th or nothing.

HTH

Bill

T

tim99

If you do not use separate folders that you create yourself, you may have to combine one accordian folder that has 1-31 dividers and another separate accordian folder that has 12 dividers labeled for each month...

The advantage of separate folders that you label yourself is that you can actually sort them so that if tomorrow is the 14th...that folder is on top...and if next month is November, that folder is the first monthly folder...

unstuffed

Registered
Robyn;32829 said:
I can't find one anywhere (I'm in Australia). People don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

Hi Robyn, this is Adelaide calling. :)

Robyn;32829 said:
I've searched for this on the net, but have not found it. I'd like a good quality one that is practical and easy to use (don't we all...).

Ahhh, those sad searches for things that no longer exist. Like those metal plates you can put in file drawers to keep folders standing...

Anyway, the tickler file. I use the Hipster PDA version, which is 43 manila folders with months and 1 - 31 on labels. Advantages: cheap, practical (in that you will always have today at the front, or the month if it's new), and ubiquitous. Disadvantages: doesn't work too well if you want to carry the whole thing around (but who does that? Unless you work from your car).

Other folk use accordion files, although I think it's hard to find the right size (ie with 43 slots). Advantages: you can carry the whole thing easily. Disadvantages: you have to remember where you are in the month, and stuff sometimes gets stuck at the bottom or drifts between the slots.

Your choice, really. I'm absurdly happy with mine, because I like the crispness of the folders, the clarity of the standup labels, the completeness of taking the whole folder out and resettling it at the back, and the funky colours. ;-)

BTW, if you've not come across the Hipster PDA yet, it's a hoot. Created by Merlin Mann of 43 Folders, the coolest GTD geek in the biosphere. Here's the original Hipster PDA (I particularly like the photo), and here's The Hipster Shuffle, which is basically some Brit having fun with the idea.

Cheers,
Alison

W

Webb

A binder can work well

My tickler has been in a 3-ring binder, and it has worked very well. Most things get written on a sheet of paper in the the appropriate tab. Odd-shaped things (or unpunched things) could be put on a sheet protector in the tab, but I haven't needed to do that.

One advantage of this method is that it is easy to integrate the next month, incrementally. When you finish today's tickler tab, you move it into the next month, and integrate whatever is in the front of the "untabbed space".

Webb

RuthMcT

Registered
Both my ticklers (work and home) are in binders with plastic wallets if the item is either small, or a large document that I don't want to punch holes in. It looks very similar to Webb's.

Ruth