Time frame of current projects?

Brent

Registered
furashgf;59964 said:
One of my consistent challenges is that I very quickly end up with an overwhelming list of next actions and projects after a weeky review. They're all reasonable (though the next actions could use a bit of refinement). I tend to end up with more next actions and projects than I'm comfortable dealing with, and I do not end up with working on the most important things.

I've had the same realization (several times!) as I've implemented GTD. If I have a large list, there are enough easy, fun items to fill my time. I'll work on those before the difficult, important ones. So they won't get done.

Here's a tip that's been very helpful for me: Every morning, I identify the most important Project on the list, and I put a blue dot next to it. I then make sure, come hell or high water, that I complete that project that day.

This works for me because I've phrased all my Projects as short-term goals that can be accomplished this week.

Oogiem

Registered
Brent;59990 said:
I've had the same realization (several times!) as I've implemented GTD. If I have a large list, there are enough easy, fun items to fill my time. I'll work on those before the difficult, important ones.

Fascinating, I find that if I limit my list to something small (20-30 next actions or so and maybe only 15 active projects) that if the conditions are not right I won't do any of them but if I see the huge long list of all my projects and next actions I can always find something to work on that needs to get done even though it may not have been active in my mind until I realized what I thought I'd do next can't be done for some reason.

Then again I can't really think of anything on my projects list that isn't fun or interesting except housecleaning. :) My usual problem is deciding between several equally necessary and interesting projects to focus on.

unstuffed

Registered
It seems like there are two camps who use the Current Projects in different ways because they're responding to different internal stimuli (and I'm not telling you which camp I belong to ;))

There's one group who like the completeness of having a large Current Projects list with a correspondingly lean Someday/Maybe list: it gives them an idea of the extent of their total commitments, and provides them sufficient choice.

There's another group who deliberately restrict their Current Projects and have a correspondingly well-padded S/M list: this compels them to make some progress on the chosen Current Projects, and reduces overwhelm.

Which approach you choose depends on your main drivers, and there is no single 'right way' that works for everyone, or should be recommended for everyone.

Does that sound about right? Apologies if I'm misinterpreting anyone here, but that's the way it looks. And it fits with the idea of GTD as a buffet: I'll take some of that, and a little of this, and lashings of the other, thanks. Now that works for everyone. ;)

Oogiem

Registered
unstuffed;60004 said:
It seems like there are two camps who use the Current Projects in different ways because they're responding to different internal stimuli .....

Which approach you choose depends on your main drivers, and there is no single 'right way' that works for everyone, or should be recommended for everyone.

Sounds right to me.

Part of the defining difference maybe how many contexts/locations you do work in or how hard it is to switch a context on the fly. It seems as if the folks who thrive on a short project list and a long S/M list have many clearly different contexts that are physically very separate (long commutes to specific work places, many activities with children that are in different areas, students moving all over a campus etc.) and whose tasks are often driven by bosses but the long project list folks have far fewer contexts and have far more personal control over all tasks. I only really have @computer, @phone, @local town @ larger town and @farm. Every project whether hobby, personal or work is all at the same physical place and it's not like we have hundreds of acres to mange so even though some of my focus areas are by physical location (Red Barn, Hay Barn, West Pasture) it's only because it's easier for me to see them that way. I can walk to any place on the farm in less than 10 minutes. I am self-employed, all my projects are internally generated. Well maybe not all but I can't think of a single one right now that I didn't define and set up.

The only 2 contexts that are really important are the ones in the towns. We have to minimize trips to town due to fuel costs so having all the potential errands, and needs in one place is critical. I combine my Palm Treo tasks by location with a SplashShopper database of items needed by stores so we don't miss anything when we are in any specific store or town.

Hearing other's views and how they do it is always helpful though even if I can't see how to implement them in my own personal system.