Time-Sink Meetings: Tips for “Victims”??

L

luisr

Make it regular. Keep it short.

In my current company we have a brief (always 1/2 hour, period) "production meeting" every monday morning. We keep these quite separate from 'staff meetings' which focus on longer term, bigger picture issues.

In our production meetings we focus only on what's coming up in the next 1 to 2 weeks & status of projects/jobs just completed. Keeping a clear focus on a short time window keeps people from going too far astray.

There was a time when some of our staff skipped the meeting because they thought the topics didn't apply to them (and the meetings went too long!). We ended up finding that those that missed the meeting were disconnected from the rest of the team -- and didn't understand our customer commitments. The solutions was twofold: 1. Everybody attends. 2. We keep the meeting to 30 minutes, period.​

Day Owl

Registered
Follow-up

Well, I promised to let you know the outcome of my plan to ask at every possible moment "What's the next action?" But as it happened, neither the president nor the VP could be at the meeting, so I was the one to preside (this is the board of a nonprofit org, of which I am the secretary). We discussed everything fully and finished 45 minutes earlier than usual. Guess I'll have to try my ploy next time under more usual conditions.

hth

Registered
Day Owl said:
Well, I promised to let you know the outcome of my plan to ask at every possible moment "What's the next action?" But as it happened, neither the president nor the VP could be at the meeting, so I was the one to preside (this is the board of a nonprofit org, of which I am the secretary). We discussed everything fully and finished 45 minutes earlier than usual. Guess I'll have to try my ploy next time under more usual conditions.

Congratulations!
Please keep us informed.

Yours
Alexander