Tracking direct reports and progress

benjamin

Registered
I am having that change in my career where I am about to get some direct reports, and not on a temporary basis. I am going to need to develop these reports so I can assign them decent sized projects and then monitor their progress.

How do people mange the GTD aspect of this? I am used to having a number of action items as waiting for across the reporting spectrum, but having bigger items feels different. I cant just track "I needed a completed file from them by now, where is it?" level, I need to build up to giving them things where I would expect longer turnarounds, but to show progress. I also feel like I need a view into my system where I am meeting with (person/team) so I can find all the stuff assigned to those people for the review and for the do step.

It feels like projects, but not projects where I manage, and I do not need to track the next action (the other person should or should be asking me for a task input to review/assess/assist with).

ivanjay205

Registered
I am having that change in my career where I am about to get some direct reports, and not on a temporary basis. I am going to need to develop these reports so I can assign them decent sized projects and then monitor their progress.

How do people mange the GTD aspect of this? I am used to having a number of action items as waiting for across the reporting spectrum, but having bigger items feels different. I cant just track "I needed a completed file from them by now, where is it?" level, I need to build up to giving them things where I would expect longer turnarounds, but to show progress. I also feel like I need a view into my system where I am meeting with (person/team) so I can find all the stuff assigned to those people for the review and for the do step.

It feels like projects, but not projects where I manage, and I do not need to track the next action (the other person should or should be asking me for a task input to review/assess/assist with).
I am a partner in a business with 41 people and the president and coo so i have a few direct reports and ultimately all departments funnel up to me through our management team. Some directly and some indirectly. I do a few things:

All direct reports go on my areas of focus so during every weekly review i pause and think about them

All departments do the same, live on my areas of focus and get reviewed weekly.

As part of my weekly review i also review the entire org chart to ensure i am thinking about the development of the entire team.

I do a bi weekly check in with all my direct reports where we cover any open items from my agenda list for them. On this i keep any “subjects” we need to discuss. The details are in apple notes as my project support material. If there is a project we work on it lives in my system with next actions to check in and follow up etc.

I also keep personal notes as i get to know them, kids names and ages, spouse/partner names, any personal items that come up. Speaking honestly i cannot recall all this to make them feel i am connected so i will review prior to our meeting and hit some personal how are the kids, can’t believe Susan is 9 already etc…. It really helps the personal connection and while i am using notes it is sincere.

I also do goal setting with my team. They have goals and we track them. That goes in the agenda item as the goal name and support files has progress notes.

Lastly, whenever someone new joins my direct team or an existing person changes to report to me directly i spend first three meetings teaching them gtd and how i do it. So they know and understand how it creates success for me and what they can expect.
the running joke in the office is when you ask Ivan to do something the answer is, “It’s on my list. “They dont have to practice but i highly encourage and depending on role I buy them the book.