value-priced Palm advice?

Z

zootski

Having started a thread on 'what PPC', I feel obliged to revisit the concept: Given that the Palm IIIx I broke was actually perfectly well suited to most of my GTD tasks (except that the OS was too old to support Chapura for calendar synchronization with Outlook), I am wondering if all you Palm fans could give an opinion: What is/are the best low-end Palm models?

I am assuming that the cheapest Zires are a bit too limited - the small screen puts me off.

S

scottr

Low end Palms

The Tungsten E looks like it would fit your needs well. Note that PalmOne is supposedly announcing new products on April 28.

dal1mdm

Registered
Palm Zire 71

Just bought a Palm Zire 71 at Best Buy for about $200 after rebate. Thats a good deal. I'm surprised how well the camera works and I've found no glitches with the MP3 player.

The display is nice and I find OS to be the best as far as PDA's go. It syncs perfectly with Outlook via Pocket Mirror and comes with Adobe Acrobat for Palm and Palm Reader.

I wouldnt buy the little cheap Zire though.

The prices will fall as more trend toward smart phones. I know they only had one Zire 71 left at my local Best Buy.

Good luck

Mark in Texas

A

Anonymous

Consider a Zire 71

The Zire 71 is the least expensive Palm using the standard Palm cradle. It can be had for just over $200 right now, but look for price drops soon. It is widely rumored that Palm will announce a successor (Zire 72 is the most mentioned model designation) near the end of June. In many ways the Tungsten E is nicer at about the same price point, but it does not use the standard Palm cradle, which is a pain. I bought a Zire 71 for my wife and she likes it. It has a built-in camera, by the way.

Mike

TesTeq

Registered
Still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case.

Since Palm V I am still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case. I do not need movies, wireless Internet or camera. I want:
- basic PIM functions;
- high resolution color screen for readability;
- PC synchronization;
- simple (thin and light, no slider please) mechanical design.
Is it too difficult for Palm engineers?
TesTeq

R

RLJefferies

Palm Values

Tungsten E is a Great value. Has all common fuctional basics. I love the docs to go & versamail. If you're not concerned w/Bluetooth or demand a cradle system it sells for ~$200. 8)

I

intrigueme@aol.com

M500

This is a model that is a little more than a year old - and somehow there was some extra inventory that everyone discovered around the Holidays.

The price has dropped from it's original $400 to $100. It has a respectable 8 MB of RAM, uses the "Universal Connector" Cradle, and comes with such niceties as Documents to Go.
It has a black & white screen - but I think for the price and durability it is an outstanding value

C

Cikub

Re: Still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case.

TesTeq said:
Since Palm V I am still missing the basic Palm PDA with metal case. I do not need movies, wireless Internet or camera. I want:
- basic PIM functions;
- PC synchronization;
TesTeq

Sounds like you just described the Tungsten E--but without a metal case. Why do you want a metal case? I've many, many PDAs with and without and haven't noticed any benefit in terms of durability--only looks.

C

C

Cikub

Re: Consider a Zire 71

mcogilvie said:
The Zire 71 is the least expensive Palm using the standard Palm cradle. It can be had for just over $200 right now, but look for price drops soon. It is widely rumored that Palm will announce a successor (Zire 72 is the most mentioned model designation) near the end of June. In many ways the Tungsten E is nicer at about the same price point, but it does not use the standard Palm cradle, which is a pain. I bought a Zire 71 for my wife and she likes it. It has a built-in camera, by the way.

Mike

You don't need to wait until June. The Zire 72 should be released next week.

C

A

Anonymous

Cikub said:
TesTeq said:
- basic PIM functions;
- PC synchronization;
TesTeq

Sounds like you just described the Tungsten E--but without a metal case. Why do you want a metal case? I've many, many PDAs with and without and haven't noticed any benefit in terms of durability--only looks.

C
The Tungsten E is everything you just described and actually WITH a metal case.

-m

C

Cikub

Anonymous said:

-m

It looks like metal, but that's just metallic paint. It's really plastic, though it looks quite nice (until it gets scratched up).

C

A

Anonymous

Cikub said:
Anonymous said:

-m

It looks like metal, but that's just metallic paint. It's really plastic, though it looks quite nice (until it gets scratched up).

C

Hmmm... [Looks quizzically at my Tungsten E. Tap. Tap. :shock: :?: :!: :? ]

I stand corrected. Not sure if I should be :x or :cry: . I just bought it because my old Handspring died, I needed something rather quickly and it was within my budget range at the time. Been pretty satisfied so far, though not having a cradle is a negative. I'm waiting for the next generation of Treos.

-m :wink:

TesTeq

Registered
Tungsten E is OK

I agree with you that Tungsten E is the closest match to my expectations.
Palm V metal case was stylish, unique and simply I loved it.
The best upgrade of Tungsten E - for me - would be a device with small and thin metal case, without dedicated Graffiti area (shorter), and with Palm Universal Connector.
TesTeq

I

intrigueme@aol.com

Re: Metal Case....

...did anyone see my post about the recent DEEP discounts on the m500's?

A

Anonymous

Vx and M500

Of course another option might be a second-user Vx or M500 from eBay or Amazon.

Gives the slim, metal ... etc all the criteria at a fraction of the price.

Old tech rocks!!!!!

TesTeq

Registered
Slim metal and readable screen

I would like to have Palm with slim metal case AND color, readable screen. Current high resolution displays are much better than those used in Palm V and 500.
TesTeq