voice recognition

A

Anonymous

Can anyone recommend a good voice-to-PC dictating device I could use?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Voice Recognition Dictation Device

I have used Dragon NaturallySpeaking Mobile (Dragon has branded a digital recorder to go with the set). It all works nicely together. I did have to get a better 3rd party mike for the mobile unit. I also bought a better 3rd party mike for the PC.

This is not an easy area to enter--be sure to do your homework. There may be newer and better than what I bought several years ago (although I do keep the Dragon up to date).

Good luck,

sholden

Registered
Re: Voice Recognition Dictation Device

flamme said:
I have used Dragon NaturallySpeaking Mobile (Dragon has branded a digital recorder to go with the set). It all works nicely together. I did have to get a better 3rd party mike for the mobile unit. I also bought a better 3rd party mike for the PC.
quote]

I have also used Dragon Naturally Speaking for Windows pretty successfully.

Get a digial mic/headset like from Plantronics.

If you have kids playing round your work area (like I do at my home), it won't work very well :)

Steve

A

Anonymous

Thanks, all. I bought Dragon Naturally and will now try to use it!

Donna

E

enriquer

Digital Voice Recorders

If you don't happen to have a PDA which can do this .....Sony and Olympus make digital dictation devices you can get from under $70 that do a good job.

Then you'd have to go with Dragon software to do the conversion right.

M

MarkChristensen

I've been tempted to play with voice recognition - but have been concerned with the accuracy. I'm a pretty good typist - is the accuracy good enough that it will beat typing? Last I looked, 95% was kind of the top end of state of the art - but that means correcting 1 OUT OF 20 WORDS!

Does this match what folks here who are using the technology are finding?

Thanks

Mark

andersons

Registered
MarkChristensen said:
. . .have been concerned with the accuracy. I'm a pretty good typist - is the accuracy good enough that it will beat typing? Last I looked, 95% was kind of the top end of state of the art - but that means correcting 1 OUT OF 20 WORDS!

Does this match what folks here who are using the technology are finding?

I have heard my father dictating to his Dragon software; I can type faster than that. And I am not that great a typist (self-taught). A few months ago, he called me to dictate a long letter for me to type, and I constantly had to wait for him to catch up to me -- he's so used to dictating that slowly for the Dragon. And yes, 95% accuracy is as good as it gets, after you "train" the software. So by the time my dad fixes the many errors, I could have typed the thing twice.

However, for someone like my father, whose hunt-and-peck includes a lot more time hunting than pecking, I guess the software is useful; I'm not always available to take dictation for him. If you can type even halfway decently, don't even bother.

-andersons

D

dumbaugh2

Below

This is my first post.

I am posting by use of the Dragon software; and I am intentionally not going to crack any errors, so that you may observe its accuracy (or in accuracy, and you judge it).

I'm speaking in a normal speaking voice, or, perhaps, 10% slower.

I've been using the software for about one month now, and I have found it extraordinarily useful.

On the other hand, I'm quite a poor typist.

I made no corrections to this tax. You be the judge.

Dave

TesTeq

Registered
I think we cannot judge the speech conversion accuracy without hearing the sample of your voice :) .
I know many people that I have to ask to repeat what they've just said all the time :x .
I know other people that I can understand always :D .
TesTeq

D

dumbaugh2

Fair point.

Typing for me has always been a struggle; too many errors to correct. I'm basically a two-figured typist.

Dragon really makes me more efficient. I use it to dicate file memos after I meet with a client, emails, letters, "todo" items into a database, and time slips, all into different software progams. I find that I'm more willing to be prompt in my responses to email, because the effort is less. My time records are more accurate and descriptive, because my typing speed is not now a limiting factor. My file memos are now more descriptive as well, because the effort is so dramatically reduced.

There certainly are errors created by Dragon; for me they are simply fewer and easier to correct. And the errors are fewer, as I learn how to speak, and it learns my common words and pronunciations. I suppose every user will encounter a different benefit equation (typing skill vs perhaps, voice quality), but it surely has made me a better, more efficient attorney.

Dragon is a major advance for me.

dave