Wanting a smartphone that does lists

Greetings!

I am in the market for a smartphone that does lists in GTD fashion. I have an old Palm PDA and that is what I keep my various lists on at this time. Does the Palm Pre do that? Does the new iPhone do lists?

Also, does anyone know of an inexpensive data plan if all I want to do is check e-mail with a smartphone?

Best,
Alan

mcogilvie

Registered
coachs@insightbb.com;72381 said:
Greetings!

I am in the market for a smartphone that does lists in GTD fashion. I have an old Palm PDA and that is what I keep my various lists on at this time. Does the Palm Pre do that? Does the new iPhone do lists?
With the current smartphones, you are not going to get the same built-in applications (cal, todo, memo, contacts) with one-stop syncing that the Palms had. The iPhone has a lot of options depending on your circumstances (Win/Mac/Linux; multiple/single desktop; can/can't install software at work; cloud storage ok/not ok...). Not that many options for Outlook users, though. I know the Pre has much less software available for it, but Palm was very coy about the built-in software before release, and I don't know much about that. I'd stay away from Windows Mobile. A few people like it, but most don't. Microsoft just released an interim update (6.5, I think), but has announced that a major new release is 6 months or so out, and that is reason enough to delay there.
Also, does anyone know of an inexpensive data plan if all I want to do is check e-mail with a smartphone?
Try looking at Blackberrys. They are built for email, and there is 3rd-party todo software that people seem to like for at least some models. Lots of models with different features, so due diligence is in order. Any BB experts want to chime in?

jimboling

Registered
Good question!

I love Bonsai (by Natara for Palm OS). Would love to be able to port that to my next device if Evernote didn't pan out. Someone (somewhere; not necessarily on this site (?)) made a comment about Evernote not supporting writes on a lot of the devices. But on my very basic non-smartphone which I use right now, I can do something Evernote calls a "quick note". But its Tag field is free-form rather than a drop-down letting me choose from my existing tags.

The tagging is a key feature in my book because it does so much for basic organization as well as providing a way to do the GTD categories.