Way around only 15 categories of to do lists on Palm.

jmcorey

Registered
Hi All, first time on the forum.

I've become an avid user of the GTD system since seeing the book last year. I use a palm m500. Does anyone know a way around having only 15 categories for to do lists on the palm? If I were to get a new system (Palm upgrade, Pocket PC, etc). is there a way to do it then?

Thanks,

Joe

V

vegheadjones

Hi,

Don't know about a pocket PC, but even the newer Palms running OS 5.0+ do not go past 15 categories.

There are some software solutions, Kwysuties from Chapura is one example, www.chapura.com. Another, cheaper one that some people use is HandyShopper; it's a freeware database system that was created for multiple shopping list, but has powerful To-Do capabilities, including using "stores" as contexts-- more than fifteen and an item can be in omore than one. You may also want to look at Bonsai by Natura, www.natura.com, it is an outline program-- it may obviate the need for more categories.

Me? I don't need more than 15 for next actions-- are there any contexts you can combine? Contexts are places, and perhaps mindsets-- (Phone vs E-mail for example) I do not have 15 discrete places, what are yours?

A

Anonymous

Key Suite from Chapura Software

I also use a Palm M500.

You can use as many categories as you want (I think 200+ is the limit) with Key Suite from Chapura.

They are having an intro price sale at $49 for the whole Key Suite software. I have been very satisfied using it for the last 8 weeks.

http://www.chapura.com/keysuite

I was working within the 15 naural(?) limit with the available synching software, but since I now have no limit, it has opening up new avenues to venture down.

Stephen

rossw

Registered
The pocket PC does not limit the number of categories, so far as I am aware, and does allow an item to have more than one category.

A

Anonymous

Another approach could be (at least in to-do) to use ShadowPlan and its tag feature to identify the categories (identify each item with a tag to represent its category). See codejedi.com for more info.

A

Anonymous

I use lots of keywords on my palm. For example, I have a project called 'Plan Dinner with Hubby' which requires calling and scheduling a babysitter. I have tagged several address book entries with the keyword 'babysitter'. If I use the find app to search for 'babysitter; it shows me 7 addressbook entries, 1 memo (a note I print out for babysitters that lists all emergency info, phone numbers, etc.), and 2 tasks - one is the project itself and the other is a next action in my @calls list that says 'call babysitter'. I have lots of other frequently used keywords. I used to list all keywords out in a memo, but then I realized it wasn't necessary.

One other nice thing about the keywords is that when you select text and then tap the find button, the selected text shows up in the search box. So when I am ready to call the babysitter, I will be in the @calls list so I can double tap babysitter to highlight it, tap the find button and then start calling up the babysitters that show up on the find list.

P.S. Don't forget to tag Grandma and Grandpa as 'babysitter'!

R

renemar

Better to-do list for Palm OS? The bult-in "tasks" is good for singular, date-based items, but is there anything similar to Ta-da Lists for the Palm? Ideally I want to be able to create multiple lists of to-do items ("Books To Read" for example) and have checked items move to the bottom of the list or disappear.

Discuss childcare, ideas and tips, and general chit chat.
All about Nannies

petdr

Registered
renemar;58365 said:
The bult-in "tasks" is good for singular, date-based items, but is there anything similar to Ta-da Lists for the Palm? Ideally I want to be able to create multiple lists of to-do items ("Books To Read" for example) and have checked items move to the bottom of the list or disappear.

Which Palm OS are you using? The built-in Tasks has categories as well as date. Could you not use the categories for your different lists? Also under preferences, you can select to hide completed tasks.

wordsofwonder

Registered
I'm using HandsHigh's ThoughtManager (also rebranded as SplashNotes) for this stuff. I own several other Palm list managers (Bonsai, ShadowPlan, etc.), but I've settled back on ThoughtManager because its relatively small feature set means it's a lot less cluttered for me. The more bells-and-whistles I have, the more my ADD'ish brain gets sucked up into playing with them rather than doing real work. (This is why I revisit my system once a year or so to see what I can simplify). So, this product works well for me in keeping the distraction level down.

sdhill

Registered
jmcorey;15841 said:
If I were to get a new system (Palm upgrade, Pocket PC, etc). is there a way to do it then?

If you give up on the Palm at any point there are no limits with the BlackBerry....