Wearables, Apple Watch and GTD

mcogilvie

Registered
I have been following the rather extended roll-out of the Apple Watch with some curiosity. I think there is no question that the Apple Watch is a watershed product for wearables, whether it is a success or not, short-term or long-term. The obvious question in this forum is "Is it useful for GTD?" or maybe "Will it increase my productivity?" We know that Todoist, Things, Omnifocus and Wanderlist will all have watch apps, and it will have extensive built-in capabilities. It is not an inexpensive device, so I think the bar has to be set fairly high.

I bought a Pebble watch about a year ago because I wanted subtle notification on my wrist of incoming calls and other information. I was receiving a lot of information about my elderly parents, and was sometimes missing timely notices in meetings or while teaching. The Pebble was a fix for that problem, using Bluetooth to communicate with my iPhone. It was a bit rocky at first, but works well now as the software has improved. It's obviously not an iPhone, but has some of the same capabilities. Notifications of all types that appear on my phone also appear on my wrist. At $150, it was worth it for what I wanted. One subtle issue for me and probably many others is that I wear reading glasses for reading and for phone use, but don't need them while driving or using a computer. The Pebble is in the fuzzy zone where glasses may or may not be needed depending on font sizes, lighting, et cetera. It is not really reliably glanceable.

There is a deep issue I have been thinking about: will the Apple Watch be a net productivity enhancer, or will it detract instead? Although I appreciate the Pebble notifications, I don't think they really enhance my productivity, except insofar as not digging out my phone is helpful.

Thoughts on GTD and the Apple Watch or wearables in general, anyone?

Oogiem

Registered
I would like wearables that function unobtrusively. Some of the ideas around google glass were promising, also a lot of stuff done at the MIT Media lab about 15 years ago. While the interface and hardware was clunky then I bet it could be significantly improved if anyone saw a market.

You need much better voice recognition, integration with on device databases, heads up or augmented reality displays and simple audio input from unobtrusive ear pieces. Eye movement ways to type would also be great as would tongue operated keyboards. We demo'd those about 20 years ago, they were based on a full plate style denture and didn't interfere with speaking at all. Really cool technology when combined with HUDs.

I know that there have been times when I've wished for hands free access to data I had on my phone while I was elbow deep in a sheep or covered in mud. Combine with external sensors (ultrasound for example) and you've got a really good tool for managing pregnant livestock both in the breeding and parturition timeframes.

Barb

Registered
I'll probably get one at some point in the future IF it is stylish AND functional. But I don't need to be first on this one.

Dave Edwards

Registered
Right now I dont think that I will get one. But I'm pretty sure that I said that I'd never need an iPad and....well.......

TesTeq

Registered
mcogilvie said:
Thoughts on GTD and the Apple Watch or wearables in general, anyone?

It'll be the Newton Watch (remember the Newton Message Pad). Huge expectations, good product and technology but below these expectations. What's wrong with Apple Watch expectations?
  1. Colorful touch screen promise - too small to read and touch.
  2. User Interface promise - touch, force touch, swipe, push button, "Digital Crown" - more to learn than just touch and press one "home" button.
  3. Battery life promise - 18 hours? Yet another power supply in my backpack.
Maybe Microsoft Band would be a better option if you really need something on your wrist?

PeterW

Registered
For me, I think the watch would probably be a productivity distraction. My iPhone is always on me or very close by so having another device alerting me probably won't help.

I am in the same boat as you mcogilvie with regards to eye sight and have stopped wearing a regular watch for this very reason.

mcogilvie

Registered
Well, I crossed the Rubicon: my Apple Watch arrived last week. In some ways I am still getting used to it, and in other ways it just seems like it has always been there. I have the black sports model in the larger size. It's not too big, and the strap feels very good. The hardware and built-in software all work very well. I have had no problem getting the most important information from the watch without reading glasses. Battery life is good: I get much more than a day of good use out of a full charge, but not two days. The controls are pretty simple to use. I have tested several apps appropriate for gtd lists, and unsurprisingly Things and Omnifocus seem the best. They work in very different ways, but both are fast enough to use routinely. I use the watch mostly while away from my desk, so it's not the most relevant tool for GTD per se. On the other hand, I think the watch is a terrific tool for dealing with all the things that grab for our attention. Not cheap, not essential but I think interest will build up as more people get them.

TesTeq

Registered
mcogilvie said:
On the other hand, I think the watch is a terrific tool for dealing with all the things that grab for our attention.

Could you please explain? Beautiful women often grab attention. How does Apple Watch handle this distraction? ;)

mcogilvie said:
Not cheap, not essential but I think interest will build up as more people get them.

That's the main reason for the minimalist in me not to buy this device. :evil:

mcogilvie

Registered
TesTeq said:
Could you please explain? Beautiful women often grab attention. How does Apple Watch handle this distraction? ;)

Oh, now I understand your confusion. Beautiful women are not grabbing your attention. Facebook and your grocery list are. I was in the grocery store yesterday, and had my grocery list on my watch (in Omnifocus). There was a very beautiful women in front of me, dressed more for an elegant dinner party than the grocery store. Thanks to the watch, I was able to be present in the moment. ;)

TesTeq said:
That's the main reason for the minimalist in me not to buy this device. :evil:

The Apple Watch is a pretty minimalist device. In GTD terms, it's good for capturing and doing, but not processing, organizing and reviewing (GTD v.1 terminology). I think it sells itself pretty well. People forget the reception personal computers and the iPhone received: a lot of "Who would want that?" It turned out a lot of people did want them. :)

TesTeq

Registered
mcogilvie said:
People forget the reception personal computers and the iPhone received: a lot of "Who would want that?" It turned out a lot of people did want them. :)

I've got iPhone but it is still harder to use than my old Nokia E71. Even now Nokia phone has a better signal reception. Calendar, lists, contacts, notes, voice recorder, camera and maps work perfectly. And there's a real keyboard that you can use without looking and searching for each key.