Web-based version of Palm Desktop?

mintothemax

Registered
Hey,

listened to a DA podcast and picked up on the free nature of the Desktop app. Downloaded it and I like the simplicity. I am currently using a paper-based system (essentially a Hipster PDA) but I can see Desktop working for me provided I could get to it from anywhere.

Does anyone know if there is a web-based version of Desktop around? I am aware of plenty of other web-based list management apps, it is just that I really like the simplicity of Desktop: suits me just fine but I do not want to be tied to one base machine. I may then move on to using a smart phone with this software...but that can come later.

All help gratefully received.

Oogiem

Registered
Palm OS is basically dead

mintothemax;76159 said:
I may then move on to using a smart phone with this software...but that can come later.

Palm OS is being mothballed. There are no new phones being made now that use the original Palm OS and there is absolutely no development or bug fixes being done on Palm Desktop at all.

I wouldn't pin any hopes on is staying alive for more than another year at best and only if you have it flawlessly working now.

Personally I'd take a look elsewhere. It's more than frustrating to spend time learning an app and getting good only to discover it' orphaned and no work being done to keep it current or running on new systems and machines.

TesTeq

Registered
It was so intuitive...

Oogiem;76160 said:
Personally I'd take a look elsewhere. It's more than frustrating to spend time learning an app and getting good only to discover it' orphaned and no work being done to keep it current or running on new systems and machines.

The sad thing is that there was nothing to learn in Palm Desktop and Palm OS - it was so intuitive...

mintothemax

Registered
Thanks

Yes. Sadly confirms what I suspected.

Liked the point about not needing to learn anything with Desktop. Couldn't agree more - just seemed so obvious from the go.

Guess I'll start looking at web-hosted services: plenty around.

Is Tracks worth a go?

Oogiem

Registered
mintothemax;76180 said:
Liked the point about not needing to learn anything with Desktop. Couldn't agree more - just seemed so obvious from the go.

Guess I'll start looking at web-hosted services: plenty around.

I agree that Palm Desktop was simple but the mac version at least was actually pretty terrible in terms of being able to do any GTD like stuff. But I used it for years.

On Web services, are you really in an area where there is web access all the time?
How is the data secured?
What are the terms of service for access?
What sort of offline or paper backup options are there?

I personally do not trust any web solution provider with my personal data. I'd caution you about it too even though as in other threads my aversion to cloud computing may be an aberration. ;-)

jimboling

Registered
Ouch - I, too, am a little concerned (more than a little really) about trusting a lot of my information to a web-based provider. I really wish that were not an issue because that would simplify matters tremendously.

I guess if the mobile device is reliable enough and the input mechanism is acceptable, I will need to start tweaking my own wishlist a little. I have been searching for the utopia of web/mobile synchronization, but always with that security concern nagging me in the back of my mind.

So - in line with this original question - - that makes me begin to think more about the Nokia E devices. I have a rudimentary 6085 now; reverted back to it from a relatively nice Ericsson because the Nokia synchronized so well with my Lotus Notes calendar.

This discussion is causing me to lean back that way and to give another look to Active Notes (I think that is what it is called); sort of retaining the Palm OS model of mobile/laptop synchronization and deferring on the web for a few more years.

clango

Registered
Nokia E66

jimboling;76204 said:
think more about the Nokia E devices.
...however pay attention also to some details...

For example, I have a Nokia E66 that cannot be used - personal opinion of course - for GTD. When I open the list of the tasks ( sync from outlook ) you cannot have a look at a glance due to the format they use, that I couldn't reset...even if you rotate the phone in the horizontal way more wide than the vertical one...you have a practical view...