Webinar: GTD and Outlook

ArcCaster

Registered
There is much that I liked about Meg's webinar today.

But, if I were to share one item, it would be Outlook->Tasks->View->View Settings->Group By->Expand/collapse defaults->All collapsed.

Yes, a wonderful piece of functionality buried 7 (seven) layers deep in the software! Who can find such stuff?!

Anyway, it performs the simple task of closing all your categories when you leave tasks, so every time you return to tasks, all you see is categories, no next actions, and you expand the context that is appropriate for you, revealing just the next actions for that context. Enormously reduces clutter!

Thanks Meg!
Rob

SiobhanBR

Registered
I'd love to do this... but it doesn't work

I saw your comment and immediately went to try it because it would be much nicer to not have to collapse each category every time. But when I change the setting it won't stick. As soon as I open a category it changes back to "As last viewed" so when I come back to tasks it is not all collapsed.

Oh well...

ArcCaster

Registered
SiobhanBR;110025 said:
But when I change the setting it won't stick. As soon as I open a category it changes back to "As last viewed" so when I come back to tasks it is not all collapsed.

Hi Siobhan -- I tried to duplicate your results and was unable to.

I am running Outlook 2010. Are we on the same version?

Rob

ArcCaster

Registered
Process slowly to work quickly

Siobhan, I don't know the anwer to your question.

But, I do have one more comment on the webinar: Meg said something like 'process your incoming slowly to enable yourself to work quickly later.'

This REALLY resonates with me. In fact, I think one of the keys to succeedling at GTD, which I am not sure I have heard emphasized, is taking the time to build an online structure to hold all your 'stuff' so that it is neat, orderly, and easily findable. It doesn't matter whether the 'stuff' is reference or action support, it needs a thought-out structure to support it. And if that structure does not exist, all the other steps are less than effective.

So again, another 'thank you' to Meg.

Regards,
Rob

megedwards

GTD Connect
ArcCaster;110076 said:
Siobhan, I don't know the anwer to your question.

But, I do have one more comment on the webinar: Meg said something like 'process your incoming slowly to enable yourself to work quickly later.'

This REALLY resonates with me. In fact, I think one of the keys to succeedling at GTD, which I am not sure I have heard emphasized, is taking the time to build an online structure to hold all your 'stuff' so that it is neat, orderly, and easily findable. It doesn't matter whether the 'stuff' is reference or action support, it needs a thought-out structure to support it. And if that structure does not exist, all the other steps are less than effective.

So again, another 'thank you' to Meg.

Regards,
Rob

Rob,

You are so welcome. Thanks for taking the time to share these tips and insights with others. It also helps me know what I will keep emphasizing on these webinars.

Keep up the great work!!

Meg