Weekly Review Challenge (September 2014)

Oogiem

Registered
Totally missed last week entirely and really felt I needed to stop and get this one done now no matter what.

It's been a very stressful week, BLM is again trying to steal our water and they are the feds so it takes a lot of lawyers and time to protect it. Without our water we can't farm so it's a high priority project. This on top of legal challenges in court on some filings on springs that provide some of our water that we have to argue for and also a mining issue that threatens to subside the ditch making the water unavailable for us. So water wars are taking a good bit of my time right now.

Then I've been coordinating the shipment of groups of rare bloodlines of sheep all across the US and Canada. The last bunch of 6 sheep are en-route to their final destination now and should arrive by Monday. We are also moving up the yearly semen collection for our cooperative USDA research in sheep reproduction to next week, instead of in November, and that has me stressed as we are not ready. Pens are still filled with last years' manure and need to be cleaned. I have 7 sheep in quarantine that will need to be collected and have to figure out how to do that without causing quarantine issues. We also have to figure out which ewes will be used as the jump ewes and get them down so they are handy. We weaned some more lambs, still have 10 in with their moms. They are so slow growing that I am worried about them so gave them an extra dewormer and will have the vet take a look when she comes to do the health inspection on the new boys.

On to Barb's questions:

Barb said:
We've turned the calendar to a new month, my friends, and there aren't many left until the end of the year! So this month's challenge will focus on "getting real".
  • Do you need to fine tune anything in your system before the final crunch at year end?
  • Are there any tasks or projects you simply need to let go of--at least for now?
  • Do you need to renegotiate any deadlines, either with others or with yourself?
  • Do you need to ask for help? (That's a tough one, I know!)
The goal here will be to start October (final quarter of the year) with a clean, tight, system. I hope you'll share your thoughts along the way as you post each Weekly Review.

I really do need to fine tune the way I handle my e-mail inbox waiting for system. I leave the waiting fors in there until they are done. I've tried putting them into a waiting for folder but then I never look at them and when the responses come in I can't easily match the response to the request because they are across folders. I've tried pulling them all into my Omnifocus system and ran into issues with ease of responding back if required. Seems like there is no e-mail integration I can make work for me.

I also need to really look at the last quarter/year end projects that are coming up to start at the equinox. With all my system changes this year, especially to on-line financial statements and the identity theft issues my whole year end checklist is woefully out of date. Problem is I know that revamping that checklist is a project in itself that will take a minimum of 1-2 hours or so of uninterrupted time and I haven't had that much time in one chunk for months. My next action is to see if there is any way to make the time requirement smaller, break down the tasks or something. But it's planning and for that I usually need larger chunks of time because it takes me so long to get going on that type of task. I can't pick it up and put it down unless I document how far I got and that takes a lot of time.

The deadlines I have really are deadlines and can't be re-negotiated and I have more stuff than I can finish so I am looking at all optional projects and putting them on hold. It's really hard to do, some of them are things that are seasonal so if I don't do them this season I won't get back to them for at least a year. It's very hard to say no to things like that.

Which brings me to the last question. There are a bunch of projects that we could use some help on, but so far we have been totally unsuccessful in getting help when we needed it. The projects are sheep related and we have to do them based on weather and time. The people who are willing to come work can't handle the short notice that these projects require. I've got 5 people trained in how to effectively help us do major sheep tasks all willing to come, but they need a weeks notice and often the final decision on a day to do the task isn't made until the night before, when we see that we've got a window of good weather, not too hot or too cold or rainy. The terrible quality and inaccuracy of the weather service in predicting weather means that I can't really determine what day or days will be suitable until the evening before, when I can look at the radar and weather map myself. Most other stuff is really only doable by me or my husband.

Ah well I have to get back at it. Off to doing now.

Jenn

Registered
WR # 2 for September (# 31 of 2014)

I took some time today to complete my weekly review and I did a really thorough calendar review. It was good to look forward to year end and start making adjustments where needed to fit things in. I have a business trip in October so there was quite a bit of rescheduling around that. It's also the start of a new sports season so all the planning for the league needs to get on the calendar too! Taking a good look at it all helps me see where I should start saying "no"!

Hmmh, what do I need to do to start October with a clean, tight system? Well, I've made great improvements over last year, getting in 30/37 weekly reviews so far this year. I'd like to improve on that in the last quarter so I've made sure to reschedule them when doing my forward calendar review.

My biggest gap is my project list so I am putting time on my calendar to figure out how to use GTDOA best for projects. There are a few quirks I haven't quite figured out in my setup and this is making me hesitate to dive in there. No excuses......I just have to resolve it and move on!

MikeP

Registered
WR #2

This Weekly Review was about preparing for two major changes. One has been building up and one is a great opportunity for me that just came up this week. Both will allow me to expand my professional horizons of focus and areas of responsibility. Thankfully my boss is on vacation next week so I have a little breathing room to clean up and gather my thoughts but the following weeks will, I hope, be filled with positive changes and very busy.

With that in mind I made a point of reviewing and moving some things into my weekly, monthly, and quarterly Someday Maybe lists so I can focus on my new priorities and potential growth opportunities. I also started thinking about the conversations I need to have with my current direct reports next week about increasing their independence to free me up to take on these new challenges.

I believe my system (Evernote for lists / reference and Pimlical / Outlook for calendar) is stable. I want to finish reading the Pimlical manual but that's not a priority. I did start a checklist for a new responsibility that I know is coming to me. This is something else I need to flesh out more next week before everything hits the fan. I'm also scheduling some time to review my current Areas of Focus mind map in light of possible changes coming up.

Mike

eianevan

Registered
This week was the first review I have done after going "away" and coming back to work. Went to a business meeting and found out we had to change 50% of the way we do things. It was stressful but the weekly review really helped to unpack and deliver those changes. Although my team does not use GTD in their personal life, they benefit from me doing so.

ArcCaster

Registered
Just completed my normal weekly review.

Still have a backlog from my August mindsweep guided by the black belt audio. Kinda like having an additional list for 'someday maybe'.

hikerpa

Registered
Weekly Review #3 September

I have to say that I'm actually enjoying my weekly reviews. I never really thought that they would or could be much help. Boy was I mistaken! The weekly review has really put GTD together for me. I'm completing more projects than ever before and it's helping me know when a project isn't moving forward. So this week I put some projects in a holding pattern and will try and get to them later.

Ellen

Hrlakat

Registered
Weekly Review #2 September

I did my weekly review over two days while traveling (just got back from Seattle today!). Last part of my review was on a 4-hour plane ride. I had to cull through a long @ computer list to find meatier brainstorming things, so much so that I got fed up and made an @ noodling list for those things that need a big block of uninterrupted time, a good night's sleep, and the inspiration to brainstorm! After making the new list, I knocked two off - yay!

Wrt fine tuning - I made my implement GTD in work system its own project - didn't realize I was avoiding that. I also plan to go through all my tasks that I know have been there for a few weeks and date them - I've gone numb to how long some of them have been on the list. Dating tasks or projects would be a good habit to develop - I wish OmniFocus had a button to enter a date into the notes field on the ol' iPad ...

Have a good week!
Heather

Barb

Registered
Hrlakat said:
Weekly Review #2 September

- I wish OmniFocus had a button to enter a date into the notes field on the ol' iPad ...

Have a good week!
Heather

I sure agree with that, Heather!

Oogiem

Registered
Hrlakat said:
I wish OmniFocus had a button to enter a date into the notes field on the ol' iPad ...

I don't know if it works on the iPad version but I use textExpander and a code "ddate" to enter in a date in notes all the time in Omnifocus. I know there is a version of TextExpander for iPad I just don't use mine to do anything in Omnifocus so I've never tried it.

Barb

Registered
#2 (or #3) for September

I'm off my regular day at the moment and I'm not sure which number this is, but yesterday's review was the best in MONTHS!! I want to thank both Julie Ireland, David Allen Co. Coach, and Kelly Forrister for this awesome review because I got great ideas from both of them.

Julie's article on managing @Read was helpful for me in that I not only set up 2 contexts for my reading (split the list), but I used that same critical/not critical approach to divide a couple of other unwieldy lists. I highly recommend reading Julie's article and thinking about it as it may apply to other things in your life. Click!!! Thank you, Julie!

Yesterday's webinar with Kelly, which I see is now already up for your listening pleasure, gave me all kinds of new energy to unstick projects. I have several that simply cannot be put off any longer, cannot be completed by anyone else, and for which I have everything I need to pull the trigger and go. On these particular projects, there isn't a big fear of failure but they are "nuisance" items--I just don't want to be inconvenienced!! So I started planning those projects from a new perspective right after Kelly's webinar yesterday and...click...click....CLICK!! Thank you, Kelly!

I hope everyone is having a great month!

SiobhanBR

Registered
WR #3

Today's review was great - it is very quiet around here today and I was able to do an in-depth weekly review while still pausing to handle calls and other interruptions. I got through my long lists and managed to knock a few of them off along the way. At the end I finally got my inbox back to zero! I had been sick and with so much of my staff away (permanently or temporarily) I've been playing catch up for about two weeks. I have successfully managed to delegate or reassign a few things that I should not be doing and now my lists are up to date.

I have about 8 things I want to do this afternoon and two hours left in the day so let's see how many I get done. Regardless, I'm ready for a relaxing weekend.

Jenn

Registered
WR # 3 for September (# 32 of 2014)

Stayed a bit late at work today to get my Weekly Review in before heading out for the weekend. I was able to check a lot of things off my list and that was very satisfying. Not much more to say on this one...

mwinn

Registered
#2 for Sept (done last weekend) I realized in terms of Get Real that my project management needs have totally outstripped my RTM system that has worked great for the last five or six years. To enter October with a good & tight system, I created a new project - "Get Projects/Project Support set up in Evernote" (which I've never used before now even though I've been aware of it for years). So a lot of systems changes in the works! Perfect timing for this topics. Hope to have another completed WR to report at the end of this weekend!

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
For me the 'getting real' part has really helped to focus my Weekly Review on projects that I can (getting real-istically) complete within a year. I've moved a couple to Projects On Hold.

mommoe436

Registered
2nd WR for September is almost complete. I found that I was getting caught up in the details, and not having enough focus by the time I got to an in-depth review of projects. So this time I started with an in-depth review of every project. After that I reviewed all of my next actions, WF, tickler, etc. I am now planning to get clear and current on my calendar, in-boxes, status logs, etc. If I need to add new PRJ and NAs, I will. I generally get inbox to zero and review my calendar every day or so, but don't do this in-depth review of PRJs other than during WR.

I am also working from my Projects list, rather than focusing too much on NAs. I identified Projects that I want to move forward during the upcoming week and those that I want to complete.

Oogiem

Registered
WR#2 Done

I did re-vamp my weekly review checklist, specifically changing the day that the reminder comes from David CO. And it made a difference. I seem to do best when I clear my inboxes starting on Friday and review Saturday and/or Sunday depending on weather and farm needs. I was getting the notice about review on Sunday, when I should be done, not on Friday, when I should start. Changing that notice got me in the mood to get the get clear portion done on Friday so I could enjoy Saturday.

Saturday was the big annual BBQ for a shooting club we belong to so gone all day having a fun match, then BBQ and then a second smaller match. For the record, no alcohol on the range even at a BBQ. :) We both had a great time and I always learn something every time I shoot.

Did the project review last night and realized that most of the projects for the rest of the month are well planned and just need to crunch along. I had maybe 50 on-hold projects that I really WANT to do but realized there is no bandwidth to tackle them at all so left them on hold. Holding fast at 230 active projects. I was planning on finishing the get creative part later today after sorting sheep for our USDA experiment this am but it's pouring rain so sheep sorting has to wait. Decided to put the rain to good use and do the last bits of the weekly review now.

My biggest get creative today was to start to plan my NaNo Novel for this year. I know it's only the end of September but I also know that if I get the plot laid out, the characters named (the hardest thing for me) their back stories written and the structure done I can finish a 50K word novel in a month. The only times I've ever actually finished a NaNo were when I did that. Other times when I start on 11-1 thinking about it I rarely get beyond 25-30K words. My one word for this year is Complete, so I am motivated to complete a NaNo this year after failing to finish the past 4-5 years. (I don't even know how many).

Off to knocking off some of the inside next actions, still too rainy to deal with sheep.

Hrlakat

Registered
Weekly Review #3 September

Barb asked: do you need to fine tune anything in your system before the final crunch at year end?

For me, the biggest things I need to fine tune before year end are a) setting up a second GTD system for work and b) really allowing myself 90 mins a day for processing etc at work. I was very conscious of spending enough time processing this week after listening to Julie's webinar, and I find that I don't give myself enough time each day to process. Part of it is the work culture - there are constant interruptions starting at 6 am and going on until I leave each day. Working from home helps a bit, though I don't like to work from home. Something to add to my R&D list, as far as how to make a work system via Outlook "fun".

In this week's review I found there are a few projects I'd like to advance in the next few weeks - this was after I put virtually everything on hold about a month ago. Interesting. I also added projects like "Plan Christmas" to help mitigate the year end chaos.

Geek in me: I purchased OmniFocus 2 for iPad, and I found that I could make a perspective that sorts by date added (now if I could make it sort oldest to newest). Not as good as a button that inserts the date you add a task, but it does allow you to see how long something has been on your list. I've got active stuff from 2012 (when I started Omni) that isn't done - lol! Ah ... backlog ...

Have a great week!
Heather

FrDavid

Registered
WR # 3--Sept Review went well--I need to play with @reading. I've noticed that I am making little to no progress on my reading stack. I'm avoiding it now because of how large it has become! I am about to enter into an eight month period of transition from one job to another--so I am working on getting my head around that. The transition will be a pretty large project (or set of projects) in itself!

MikeP

Registered
WR #3

Since my boss is coming to visit the upcoming week will be busy so this Weekly Review was about making sure I focus on what really needs to get done next week. We had a departmental picnic off-site Friday and I came back to the office afterward to blissful peace and quiet where I was able to really think through my WR and plan for my boss' visit.

The weekend was pretty busy as well as I needed to take advantage of the nice weather to wrap up some outdoor projects. There is always more but one of the larger projects is 99% done!

Depending on how this week's meetings with my boss goes will determine what I need to do in this WR re the "getting real" challenge. I'm hoping to take on more responsibilities which will require a shift in focus from my other areas as well as redefining how I work with my current direct reports (they won't go away but I may have some more that I will need to spend more time with initially).

Mike

hikerpa

Registered
Weekly Review #4 September

Finished up my weekly review. Trying to complete my educational requirements for my Respiratory License. Sorry that I missed Kelly's webinar. I placed the webinar and Julie Ireland's article on my next action list. I started back to work after taking the summer off. I feel that really helped me get the weekly review under my belt. I also feel more in control on how my work days go.

Ellen