What Calendar View Do You Work out of?

HappyDude

Registered
Iono why, but just thought about asking this simple, yet possibly important question.

As a GTD implementer I can't help but wonder other GTD user's preferences in productivity, and this includes what view you work out of?

So is it..

Weekly?

Daily?

Monthly?

:)

Personally I've worked out of Monthly view quite a bit, don't know why when I've always subconsciously felt that the Weekly pane would work towards my advantage. Perhaps i'm just not a fan of the Weekly pane look.

Oogiem

Registered
Month then day

I almost always start & end my day looking at a monthly view. I use that to plan what has to happen today vs what can wait and what I need to be aware of for tomorrow.

But I leave my machine open to daily view as I document what I actually did on my calendar as a sort of diary.

JohnV474

Registered
calendar view

I usually start with my weekly view, then the Today view. I rarely use the monthly calendar and prefer to look at it a week at a time.

TesTeq

Registered
"Planning" and "doing".

It depends:
- yearly, monthly and weekly when "planning";
- daily when "doing".

Suelin23

Registered
On the train into work I do my planning, and I usually check all three, daily weekly and monthly. When I'm at work I use the today view and next actions list.

RuthMcT

Registered
A printed out copy of the monthly version, stuck on my wall. I like to see far enough ahead that meetings I have to prepare for don't take me by surprise.

Ruth

hikerpa

Registered
I usually start out with monthly view and then go to daily view. I like to see what's coming up in my weeks ahead.

njones4213

Registered
I would give almost anything for a proper three week view and a three day view. Every calendar program I've seen has some sort of multi-week, but they always get it wrong. I need a look back and a look ahead on default because I jump back and forth between days and weeks several times.

I'm not a fan of the monthly view. The relative amount of time scheduled for each activity is lost. In the monthly view all things are just a multi-line display of start time-end time. The less than monthly views of weeks and days a longer meeting has a longer block of time taken away.

I want to see Last Week-This Week-Next Week and Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow. Not current week and two weeks in the future. I always have to change, then mess with the weeks to get it to select the right view. Then I switch to days, but the second I switch back to weeks I have to change the focus week again.

TesTeq

Registered
Interesting idea!

njones4213;82172 said:
I want to see Last Week-This Week-Next Week and Yesterday-Today-Tomorrow. Not current week and two weeks in the future. I always have to change, then mess with the weeks to get it to select the right view. Then I switch to days, but the second I switch back to weeks I have to change the focus week again.

Interesting idea!

bishblaize

Registered
njones4213;82172 said:

Pretty easy in google calendar and outlook - on the mini-calendar at the side of the page view, click on the first date you want to see and holding the button down drag to the last date you want to see then let go. It will then display all the days highlighted. See attached. Its true that there isnt a one click option to do this, but it could barely be quicker even if there was.

in outlook you can also choose non-consecutive days using either shift- or alt-click (cant recall which).

Attached files

SannyD

Registered
week view daily so i can schedule meetings and see where i will be busy as i live week to week at work. since im in accounting ill look at month view for month end planning issues so we can close the month without conflicts as i track US and UK month end close for my company.

eta personally i live in month view..just for planning purposes as i join alot of things trying to be well rounded.

DShick

Registered
Calendar View

At my desk, I am almost always open to the weekly view.

On my iPhone, I'm open to the day.

As part of my weekly review, I look at the current month and the month ahead.

My assistant and I periodically do a quarterly view to work out conflicts between travel and other regularly scheduled meetings.