What can you learn from your Sent box?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
The latest Coaches' Connection article is by Mike Williams. He invites us to look at:

(1) IRK: When you look at your Inbox, what are some of the things that irk you?

(2) DELIGHT: When you look at your Inbox, what are some of the things that delight you?

(3) SMALL TEST: After reviewing your Sent mail, what is one small change to improve your email?
Read the article here and please share anything you did with Mike's questions.

S-Tolland

Registered
This is a brilliant article! But I am feeling really daunted about looking at my sent emails under the GTD microscope - anyone else feeling feeling nervous...?:oops:

GTDmw

Registered
Yes, me too and I wrote the post!

I hear you. It felt daunting to me too and, honestly, it is a continual work in progress. I found by getting comfortable looking in *my* sent I became more aware. The awareness really helps me up my game.

If it feels daunting. I suggest starting small. Start your exploration with 5 emails instead of 50. Or simply start with one email.

The email is simply a trigger to use to say, "How might I approach this differently next time?"

Start with one and see where it takes you.

Good luck and thank you for your response.

S-Tolland

Registered
I dived in and checked 5 on Friday - and I was pleasantly surprised! There is certainly room for improvement, but my emails were not as opaque as I had feared they might be. One of my areas for improvement will be around the subject line in future - some of these were fine but others were definitely not as clear as they could have been, so certainly something to be aware of. I intend to delve a little deeper later this week, but am glad to have made a start and don't feel quite so daunted now!

TinaLRoman

Registered
IRK - BLUF for me too. I don't like having to scroll all the way to the bottom of an email trying to find what needs to be answered

DELIGHT - seeing (eom) - end of message at the end of the subject line. Let's me know I can reply quickly without having to open the message. If it's a simple question and answer, I can hit reply and answer right in the subject line with an eom of my own.

SMALL TEST - Work on changing the title in the subject line when the topic has changed, especially when a number of replies have been sent back and forth in the conversation.

SiobhanBR

Registered
I thought I was doing ok...

I have been concentrating on making my sent email clear for recipients for a while now. Particularly when I'm sending a long message or a group of messages with attachments or a message to a lot of people, I've been reviewing before I hit send to consider if it would be clear what I'm asking for from everyone.

But then my boss replied to a message with "What do you want me to do with this?" Arggh. Maybe I should look at this as a good sign that my usually clear emails have become expected so one unclear one was that noticeable. ;) Or happy that she asked me rather than struggling trying to figure it out and then just making an assumption and spending time/effort doing something I wasn't expecting.

It's an ongoing process and thanks for the reminder to pause and reflect on something we can control and change.

GTDmw

Registered
Excellent work

Thank you all for sharing what you found as you explored your "Sent" items. You've inspired me to be more rigorous in a couple areas.

I love to imagining little by little we are changing our corner of the world for the better one email at a time!