What do you use for computer/internet security?

A

ActionGirl

I haven't had my own internet connection in years, and never used anything besides anti-virus software. The internet seems to have gotten more dangerous over the years though. I'm taking the plunge soon and am looking for suggestion about anit-virus programs, firewalls, anti-spyware/adware stuff, etc.

What's the best way to protect your computer and your productivity these days?

Many thanks!

kkirksey

Registered
I'm running Mac OS X, which has a built-in firewall, and I don't have to run any anti-spyware or antivirus software. My suggestion would be to get Mac OS X. I'm not being flip. I've had a few clients switch from Windows to Mac OS X because of the virus, spyware, and security issues with Windows. They've all been very happy with Mac OS X and wouldn't go back to Windows if you paid them.

Ken

Tspall

Registered
ZoneAlarm is very good

One of the best programs out there for personal use is ZoneAlarm. It is a great firewall, lets you know when it has an update, and is 100% free.

It can tell you when someone or some program is trying to connect to the internet both inward and outward. It's very simple to use, and once set up you rarely have to do anything to it (and that's usually only if you install some new software that connects on the internet).

MsftMan

Registered
First let me explain that no matter which O/S you run, you are open to attacks. All of these problems are very much like medical diseases... they know no boundaries and care not about your sex, ethnicity, etc. they attack, period. To suggest that you buy a particular computer based on its O/S's ability to thwart these types of attacks is misleading. Regardless of which O/S or computer you choose, 99% of security is the users responsibility!

Regardless of which O/S, X Panther, Linux, Windows... a computer in the hands of a person who is diligent in providing a safe environment for their work, will be spyware and virus free.

First, start with your new connection. Ask your provider what they have for free online tools and or software to download. Most ISP's (internet service providers) supply these types of tools for free or at the very least free for one year.

If you are into Windows then these might be good starts for you.

Anti-Virus: One of the best out there for free is Grisoft's AVG. It also handles email anti-virus.
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Anti-Spyware: The most popular free application out there is Spybot.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download
Microsoft has a Spyware beta out that works well (use on my laptop):
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
I use Ad-Aware SE Plus (on my desktop) from Lavasoft:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Firewall: I use Comcast, got McAfee firewall free for my first year, signed up to continue. Microsoft Windows XP with service pack 2 installed will give you a free firewall application built in that can be accessed via your Control Panel.

Do some research via Google and make your decisions based on user reviews and by trying the software yourself for its free trial period.

TesTeq

Registered
Internet security.

1) For Windows machines I use Norton Internet Security and Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta. It might be too weak solution but the operating system itself has big vulnerabilities so I do not want to loose my whole life building fences on weak foundations.

2) I do not believe in Windows security but I like its ease-of-use and much stronger internationalization support in Poland than Mac OS X or Linux. So what do I do? Both in my office and in my home I have two computers (or at least one computer with removable bootable C: drive). I have two separate Windows environments. One "secure" with Internet access disabled at the hardware level (no network drivers installed, network cable disconnected). The second "connected" to the Internet. "Secure" contains all the files I do not want to share accidentally with the whole world. "Connected" contains all the stuff I obtain from Internet and send through it. The only drawback is this physical separation - I must use CD-RWs or USB drives to consciously move files between machines. In the office I use two machines with one monitor/keyboard/mouse set and switch between machines using "KVM switch".

3) If I were to use only one machine I would use Mac OS X or Linux OS machine because this systems are really more secure than Windows. Have you ever heard about viruses for this systems? Even if they exist there is small chance that they can infect your machine (such viruses have to be much smarter and more complicated than for Windows). Besides most virus creators want to attack the most popular operating system.

TesTeq

K

KevinR

For Windows I run: Spybot, Ad-Aware, Microsoft Antispyware & SpywareBlaster. Trend Micro PC-cillin for firewall & anti-virus. I can't believe that anybody who runs these programs would have trouble with spyware or virus's of any kind (at least I haven't).

B

Bob Burtt

Here you go...

I have used this for some time...NEVER any problems. Works VERY well:

PC Cillin Internet Security

And this for Spyware...it is the best I've tried, catching MANY things that Ad-Aware and Microsoft AntiSpy have not:

Spy Sweeper

Good luck!

Bob :grin:

BrianK

Registered
A second for PC-Cillin by Trend Micro. Great, easy to use, and solid.

I also have Spybot and Adaware SE. Between those 3, things work very well.

B

Bob Burtt

NO but...

I do use Anti-Spam software, but I don't get any spam either. I'll give some pointers that have worked for me:

1) I never give out my email address to anyone unless I trust them. I actually set myself up a hotmail account (which has a great spam filter, by the way, for newsletters, lists, or forums that I sign up too). This ensures that my other email is protected from being sold around the internet. I also have a new GMail account, I use this for forums I visit regularly (ie. GTD). The Hotmail one is for junk.

2) Make sure your email address is not something common. Add a number to it. Give it a really original name or word. Most Spam "bots" go after the most common email names. It is sometimes REALLY worth it to have your ISP give you a new email address to instantly stop all the spam. Getting your new address out is one email and well worth it.

3) NEVER, EVER, reply to a spam. NEVER, click on that "unsubscribe" button. This, in most instances, just confirms that your email address is good.

4) Outlook 2003 has a pretty good Spam filter built in. Just use "Office Update" to keep it current.

Finally, here is a good site that rates a bunch of different Spam filters:

Top Ten Reviews - SPAM Filters

Hope that helps.

Bob